Skip to content

"Can't Miss" Prospects....

The Browns Board
36 14 1.5k
  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Thread prompted by a NFL Live segment with Bill Polian about can't miss vs. higher ceiling players.

    Specifically the question was:

    "When do you take a "can't miss" player over a guy who perhaps has more upside, but also some risk?"

    Bill's thought was:

    "Always. We always said, 'No big hits. No big misses.' If you've got a can't miss, take him and don't look back. Plug him in and he'll play a long time."

    Typical Polian minimalist wisdom that begs the question:

    Who in 2015 is "Can't miss"?

    Williams, Fowler, Cooper, Shelton, Gurley are all I've got.

  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by Canton Mike
    #2

    I agree & what worries me is whether or not Shelton will be there for our pick. I want Shelton in the worst way because I feel (for what it's worth) that he would immediately & positively have a huge impact on both our run D AND our pass rush. With that kind of dominance at nose tackle, our DEs & LBs start looking as good as they can look. Given better health, our Dline & LBs would reap MAJOR dividends from his presence.

    I feel, & maybe I'm wrong, that he may be the only player worth a trade up this year for the Browns. I'm no expert & my choices often suck, but do you folks agree? Disagree? Why? If agree, how far up would you go to ensure we don't lose him?

    Just an ol' dummy asking questions!

    Mike

  • thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
    #3

    "Can't miss"..? No such thing, but these are the guys I would guess are the closest to that:

    Amari Cooper

    Leonard Williams

    Dante Fowler

    Kevin White

    Erick Flowers

    Danny Shelton

    Cameron Erving

    Melvin Gordon

    There are other players with more potential and upside, but I think these are the 8 guys who I have no concern predicting that they will be long-term quality starters for whoever takes them. They may not all be Pro Bowl locks, but they are all ready to step in day 1 and lock down their jobs.

  • ManzierM Manzier wrote on last edited by
    #4

    I dont believe in cant miss players. heres an all time cant miss draft just posted on nfl.com. anybody else think this writer has a problem with the browns? everyone else gets hall of famers and we get ryan leaf?

    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap3000000487725/article/alltime-2015-draft-steve-young-to-bucs-jim-brown-to-jags

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #5

    Malcolm Brown is a can't miss. I think Collins is.

  • VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by
    #6

    La'el Collins is definitely can't miss. He might be the safest pick in the draft.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #7

    marpet as a C in round 3 is a can't miss.

    first round lock is shelton.

  • marpet as a C in round 3 is a can't miss.

    first round lock is shelton.

    VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @miktoxic said:

    marpet as a C in round 3 is a can't miss.

    first round lock is shelton.

    Can't miss guys make it to the 3rd? 🙂

  • @miktoxic said:

    marpet as a C in round 3 is a can't miss.

    first round lock is shelton.

    Can't miss guys make it to the 3rd? 🙂

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @vagitron said:

    Can't miss guys make it to the 3rd? 🙂

    if he made it to the 3rd he's a can't miss.....

    HA!

  • Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #10

    Amari Cooper is probably the closest in this draft. The chances of him not being a contributing WR, in my opinion, are VERY slim.

  • I dont believe in cant miss players. heres an all time cant miss draft just posted on nfl.com. anybody else think this writer has a problem with the browns? everyone else gets hall of famers and we get ryan leaf?

    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap3000000487725/article/alltime-2015-draft-steve-young-to-bucs-jim-brown-to-jags

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @manzier said:

    I dont believe in cant miss players. heres an all time cant miss draft just posted on nfl.com. anybody else think this writer has a problem with the browns? everyone else gets hall of famers and we get ryan leaf?

    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap3000000487725/article/alltime-2015-draft-steve-young-to-bucs-jim-brown-to-jags

    Fucking Ryan Leaf? Seriously? Whoever wrote that has to be thinking "hahaha, fucking browns wouldn't it be so funny if they're the only team to draft an enormous bust here?!"

  • @manzier said:

    I dont believe in cant miss players. heres an all time cant miss draft just posted on nfl.com. anybody else think this writer has a problem with the browns? everyone else gets hall of famers and we get ryan leaf?

    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap3000000487725/article/alltime-2015-draft-steve-young-to-bucs-jim-brown-to-jags

    Fucking Ryan Leaf? Seriously? Whoever wrote that has to be thinking "hahaha, fucking browns wouldn't it be so funny if they're the only team to draft an enormous bust here?!"

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by Mudfly
    #12

    @gftchris said:

    Fucking Ryan Leaf? Seriously? Whoever wrote that has to be thinking "hahaha, fucking browns wouldn't it be so funny if they're the only team to draft an enormous bust here?!"

    Ok.....I get the joke...haha(not)...

    I guess being a 1/2 way funny dickhead gets you a gig at NFL.com.....

    Im just wondering why he didnt give us Jamarcus.....

  • S secondwave wrote on last edited by secondwave
    #13

    Amari Cooper: Marvin Harrison 2.0

    Todd Gurley: Marshawwwn

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #14

    I count 12 listed so far....Is it even possible to have 12 cant miss players in the first round?.......history says no way.....

    Last years slam dunk "cant miss" players were Clowney, Robinson & Watkins.......hahaha.....that went well.....

  • I count 12 listed so far....Is it even possible to have 12 cant miss players in the first round?.......history says no way.....

    Last years slam dunk "cant miss" players were Clowney, Robinson & Watkins.......hahaha.....that went well.....

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @mudfly said:

    I count 12 listed so far....Is it even possible to have 12 cant miss players in the first round?.......history says no way.....

    Last years slam dunk "cant miss" players were Clowney, Robinson & Watkins.......hahaha.....that went well.....

    I don't think Robinson was can't miss? I got the distinct impression he was a project at LT, and would need to start out a guard for a year or two to refine his technique. Clowney - everyone questioned his enthusiasm, and Leaf-itude.

    Can't miss prospects were Jake Matthews, Watkins, Khalil Mack?

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    Williams and Cooper for sure. I can't put Gurley because of the injury history. Gordon has a fumbling problem that takes him off the list.

    Collins in the OL and Malcom Brown in the DL (I just can't put Shelton because he may eat himself out of a long career).

  • @mudfly said:

    I count 12 listed so far....Is it even possible to have 12 cant miss players in the first round?.......history says no way.....

    Last years slam dunk "cant miss" players were Clowney, Robinson & Watkins.......hahaha.....that went well.....

    I don't think Robinson was can't miss? I got the distinct impression he was a project at LT, and would need to start out a guard for a year or two to refine his technique. Clowney - everyone questioned his enthusiasm, and Leaf-itude.

    Can't miss prospects were Jake Matthews, Watkins, Khalil Mack?

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @gftchris said:

    I don't think Robinson was can't miss? I got the distinct impression he was a project at LT, and would need to start out a guard for a year or two to refine his technique. Clowney - everyone questioned his enthusiasm, and Leaf-itude.

    Can't miss prospects were Jake Matthews, Watkins, Khalil Mack?

    Matthews, Watkins and Mack were what I was thinking of as well.

  • I dont believe in cant miss players. heres an all time cant miss draft just posted on nfl.com. anybody else think this writer has a problem with the browns? everyone else gets hall of famers and we get ryan leaf?

    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap3000000487725/article/alltime-2015-draft-steve-young-to-bucs-jim-brown-to-jags

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @manzier said:

    I dont believe in cant miss players. heres an all time cant miss draft just posted on nfl.com. anybody else think this writer has a problem with the browns? everyone else gets hall of famers and we get ryan leaf?

    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap3000000487725/article/alltime-2015-draft-steve-young-to-bucs-jim-brown-to-jags

    I don't understand the point of this exercise. How about if we change it up a bit.....I will do so in another thread.

  • @manzier said:

    I dont believe in cant miss players. heres an all time cant miss draft just posted on nfl.com. anybody else think this writer has a problem with the browns? everyone else gets hall of famers and we get ryan leaf?

    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap3000000487725/article/alltime-2015-draft-steve-young-to-bucs-jim-brown-to-jags

    I don't understand the point of this exercise. How about if we change it up a bit.....I will do so in another thread.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @the-gipper said:

    I don't understand the point of this exercise. How about if we change it up a bit.....I will do so in another thread.

    Would love to see a league-wide redraft, every team starts with nothing, reverse order picks like fantasy. Pick no. 1, Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck?

  • @gftchris said:

    I don't think Robinson was can't miss? I got the distinct impression he was a project at LT, and would need to start out a guard for a year or two to refine his technique. Clowney - everyone questioned his enthusiasm, and Leaf-itude.

    Can't miss prospects were Jake Matthews, Watkins, Khalil Mack?

    Matthews, Watkins and Mack were what I was thinking of as well.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #20

    On the O-line names mentioned... I haven't seen any can't miss on tape, but gun to my head I'd go with Peat.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Matthews, Watkins and Mack were what I was thinking of as well.

    My list as well, but there were others that got mention around here. Donald and Evans come to mind, and there was a certain post-draft influx that pronounced one of our picks to be one as I recall...