Skip to content

Who is your favorite football announcer/commentator?

The Browns Board
49 29 1.8k
  • @bob806 said:

    Gib Shanley painted the best picture for me on the radio. Jim Donovan never tells us where the ball is half the time, other than that he's fine.

    Agreed. When Gib called a play on the radio, you could watch it unfold in your mind. There has never been anyone better. I wish there were radio clip archives for you guys to listen to. I've searched the internet and cannot find anything on Shanley. He was a play-by-play genius. Donovan is awful by comparison.

    @roach said:

    Agreed. When Gib called a play on the radio, you could watch it unfold in your mind. There has never been anyone better. I wish there were radio clip archives for you guys to listen to. I've searched the internet and cannot find anything on Shanley. He was a play-by-play genius. Donovan is awful by comparison.

    There are some of him but you have to find them within the highlight shows from the 1979 and 1980 seasons. I don't know how to post youtube videos on here but there are some of him calling the games

  • Look up Cleveland Browns 1979 Kardiac Kids on youtube and theres some clips with the radio call from Gib Shanley

  • http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nev_Chandler

    Hard to imagine he's been gone for almost 20 years. He and a guy from channel 8 came out to a Westside bar I was playing early in my solo days. Stayed almost all night, drinking and laughing like hell at my stupid jokes, great guy and a great broadcaster. I have to admit Jimmy Donovan does a hell of a job too!

    WSS

  • http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nev_Chandler

    Hard to imagine he's been gone for almost 20 years. He and a guy from channel 8 came out to a Westside bar I was playing early in my solo days. Stayed almost all night, drinking and laughing like hell at my stupid jokes, great guy and a great broadcaster. I have to admit Jimmy Donovan does a hell of a job too!

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nev_Chandler

    Hard to imagine he's been gone for almost 20 years. He and a guy from channel 8 came out to a Westside bar I was playing early in my solo days. Stayed almost all night, drinking and laughing like hell at my stupid jokes, great guy and a great broadcaster. I have to admit Jimmy Donovan does a hell of a job too!

    WSS

    I laughed like hell at your stupid jokes and even stayed most of the drink and was drinking. 🙂

  • @westside-steve said:

    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nev_Chandler

    Hard to imagine he's been gone for almost 20 years. He and a guy from channel 8 came out to a Westside bar I was playing early in my solo days. Stayed almost all night, drinking and laughing like hell at my stupid jokes, great guy and a great broadcaster. I have to admit Jimmy Donovan does a hell of a job too!

    WSS

    I laughed like hell at your stupid jokes and even stayed most of the drink and was drinking. 🙂

    @mark-o said:

    I laughed like hell at your stupid jokes and even stayed most of the drink and was drinking. 🙂

    Awww

    Shucks

    WSS

  • Joe Tait was the best..

    "Most of the referees who paid to get in tonight don't agree with the call."

    As for football it's jim donovan. He is great

  • Jim Donovan is my favorite to date....Nev was really great to listen too also.......Gib was ok, but not nearly as exciting to listen to as the other two were(are)...

    Ex Browns color guys need some work.....Deiken, Golic and Bernie were all great players, but(for me) are kind of hard to listen to

  • Look up Cleveland Browns 1979 Kardiac Kids on youtube and theres some clips with the radio call from Gib Shanley

    @mark-o said:

    Look up Cleveland Browns 1979 Kardiac Kids on youtube and theres some clips with the radio call from Gib Shanley

    Gib Shanley was boring.

  • Joe Tait was the best..

    "Most of the referees who paid to get in tonight don't agree with the call."

    As for football it's jim donovan. He is great

    @blowe said:

    Joe Tait was the best..

    "Most of the referees who paid to get in tonight don't agree with the call."

    As for football it's jim donovan. He is great

    Joe Tait is still handling the football broadcast for Mount Union (been doing it since 1985).