Skip to content

Official first training camp notes thread..

The Browns Board
163 25 8.7k
  • And just like that... camp is over...

    Going to bang my old drum here for a minute... I was just reading Dawgs by Nature's Day 17 summary and one item was from Jim O'Neil...

    Coordinators Call Out Surprise Players: Speaking to the media before practice, both coordinators discussed five players who were camp surprises.

    On defense, here is what Jim O'Neil said:

    "I’d like to go by each level of the defense. If I start it up front, the draft picks are the draft picks I’ve been very impressed with those guys. Dylan Wynn’s gotten some attention; I just love how he plays the game, what he represents as a person. He’s going to give you everything he has. He’s had to play out of position some for us, just because of injury but he’s a guy I’ve really been impressed with.

    I think the injuries in the backend have really allowed some DB’s to back up. I think IC (DB Ibraheim Campbell) has done a great job at safety, he has played almost the entire two preseason games and I think you’ve been able to see how physical he’s going to be in the run game. He’s where he’s supposed to be in the pass game and I think he’s only going to get better as he spends time in the system. (DB Landon) Feichter who we call Flex has been another guy that’s gotten a million reps and he’s done a great job. He just been a smart, tough guy out there for us who puts himself in position and makes the plays he’s supposed to make. Then the two corners who have really come in the past week have been (DB) Kendall James and Charles Gaines. Those were two guys, and I told them maybe two weeks ago they weren’t in the conversation to make the 53 and the way they’ve performed in the past week they’ve both put themselves very much in the conversation to make the 53. They both went up to Buffalo like they were on a mission and they’ve consistently made play after play after play so I’ve been very happy with those two guys."

    It bothered me that Jim skipped over the LBs and never got back around to them. Maybe the writer left the LB discussion out? So I watched O'Neil's presser. The writer captured all of what was said (6:32 mark).

    http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Jim-O’Neil-Full-Press-Conference---824/d7f77177-7e6f-4e49-bd45-d2e8db74ba55

    Bothers me when the DC of our 3-4 (Hybrid) does not start with an LB discussion, let alone fail to mention the group altogether. But like I said, that's my drum to bang... well... one of my drums anyway...

  • ... and on the other side of the ball...

    Really masterful job by Flip at his end-of-camp presser... 17:23 well spent.

    http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/John_DeFilippo_Full_Press_Conference_824/95590a73-5bfc-4da4-9b35-6a09e1510a5f

    I could not help but think that with any reasonable measure of success as our OC over the next couple seasons, Flip is going to get a HC shot somewhere.

  • Really likes Lenz and Jennings as new receivers, "every day in practice". That may answer some of those wr questions for the 53.

    Very nice comments on play of both QB's. Very happy with JM's progressions and reads. In the perfect place to continue his improvement as a pro.