Big Man Kicking Contest
-
Your making this so much harder than it has to be(as usual).....it's not as if there was a conspiracy to avoid soccer style kickers..and I dont think coaches were actively seeking a new kicking style.....They were simply looking for kickers who could put it through the uprights....so, why would a coach decide(on his own) that some guy playing soccer in the UK has a better chance than a guy here who has been kicking a foorball his whole life?
nor do I think Soccer players were seeking to play in the NFL at the time......why?....probably cause they liked soccer better and had a better chance at higher earnings in their sport of choice.........so, why would a guy in England, who loves and gets paid to play soccer, suddenly decide to leave his home & country to go play a game he doesnt even like or understand....makes no sense,,,,(at all)
....like I said wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back in the thread.....the change happened when coaches started recruiting soccer players in HS and College.....and it just evolved from there.....and as millions of kids started playing soccer here, the number of "soccer style kickers" in the USA grew by the millions too....making the pool of soccer style kicker the larger one(maybe by the late 70's or early 80's)....
Coaches dont really care "how" a player kicks.....they only care who kicks best.....and when soccer style kickers started showing up, they got the job.....simple....
I don't think there was any conspiracy....
Soccer style kicking is objectively better. People were aware of soccer. Coaches want a competitive edge. I'm not expecting them to go to Europe and find kickers, but I could see them trying to get someone to teach the kicker how to kick. If that seemed to difficult to accomplish though, I could see them just saying fuck it and keep using toe kickers due to the simpler technique.
I'm just surprised there wasn't any kind of internal push for it. The NFL had to wait until the results were shoved in their face.
Please don't join the Gipper School of Strawmen. It is hard to keep one concise point going when I need to constantly defend myself from things I never said
I don't think there was any conspiracy....
Soccer style kicking is objectively better. People were aware of soccer. Coaches want a competitive edge. I'm not expecting them to go to Europe and find kickers, but I could see them trying to get someone to teach the kicker how to kick. If that seemed to difficult to accomplish though, I could see them just saying fuck it and keep using toe kickers due to the simpler technique.
I'm just surprised there wasn't any kind of internal push for it. The NFL had to wait until the results were shoved in their face.
Please don't join the Gipper School of Strawmen. It is hard to keep one concise point going when I need to constantly defend myself from things I never said
Next you are going to ask why Leonidas didn't use uzis to mow down the Persians at the battle of Thermopolae.
-
This is like asking why rugby-style punters weren't utilized more than currently.. Why didn't information spread faster around the world back then? Friends, that was before the Internet.
Ohio State's current punter Cam Johnston was an Australian Rules rugby player.. following in the footsteps of Chargers great Darren Bennett, the first All-Pro Australian rules football player in the NFL.
Who was the last straight-on kicker? Mark Moseley - 12 years with the Redskins, but retired a Brown.. who kicked 2 FG's earlier in the game before The Drive.
-
This is like asking why rugby-style punters weren't utilized more than currently.. Why didn't information spread faster around the world back then? Friends, that was before the Internet.
Ohio State's current punter Cam Johnston was an Australian Rules rugby player.. following in the footsteps of Chargers great Darren Bennett, the first All-Pro Australian rules football player in the NFL.
Who was the last straight-on kicker? Mark Moseley - 12 years with the Redskins, but retired a Brown.. who kicked 2 FG's earlier in the game before The Drive.
This is like asking why rugby-style punters weren't utilized more than currently.. Why didn't information spread faster around the world back then? Friends, that was before the Internet.
Ohio State's current punter Cam Johnston was an Australian Rules rugby player.. following in the footsteps of Chargers great Darren Bennett, the first All-Pro Australian rules football player in the NFL.
Who was the last straight-on kicker? Mark Moseley - 12 years with the Redskins, but retired a Brown.. who kicked 2 FG's earlier in the game before The Drive.
Yep, Michigan picked up an Australian rugby style punter.
OSU also had an MLS player kick for them a few years ago. It worked out very well.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login