Skip to content

Rey was BEST USC LBer Against the Pass the last 4 years

The Browns Board
44 13 2.8k
  • S Solon16 wrote on last edited by
    #41

    ''I've got him coming so fast that when a running back sees it's Rey Maualuga, he will cut back into the rest of the defense. It looks like he's overrunning, but he's really doing what I coached him to do. I coached him to be a north-south guy.''

    "Norton"

  • ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #42

    That really doesn't make me feel any better about him. He still ended up out of position. What RB won't cut back when a LB is clogging your running lane?

    It's the lack of adjustment when the RB doesn't go where Rey thinks/expects him to go that is a worry to me.

  • That really doesn't make me feel any better about him. He still ended up out of position. What RB won't cut back when a LB is clogging your running lane?

    It's the lack of adjustment when the RB doesn't go where Rey thinks/expects him to go that is a worry to me.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #43

    Masters said:

    That really doesn't make me feel any better about him. He still ended up out of position. What RB won't cut back when a LB is clogging your running lane?

    It's the lack of adjustment when the RB doesn't go where Rey thinks/expects him to go that is a worry to me.

    If I can step out of my manlove for Rey for 1 second. The 1 thing I read that concerns me and it has stuck with me is that for USC having such a talented defense - they've been very vulnerable to the big play.

    I think what happens is these guys get spoiled with all the studs surrounding them and they take risks. On Youtube video of Oregon State, there's 1 play where Rey clogged hole thinking, they got my back. Well, the RB bounced it out and Rey stayed inside after clogging the hole. NOBODY was there at home on the outside when the RB bounced it out.

    Other examples might be Rey going for the big hit instead of squaring up and he overruns the play. I don't think Rey was as risky prior to his final year. I think SOME of that is feeling spoiled with who is around him. The other part is him wanting to make the highlight reels. And trust me when he misses, we got him on candid camera in here.

    - Tom F.

  • Masters said:

    That really doesn't make me feel any better about him. He still ended up out of position. What RB won't cut back when a LB is clogging your running lane?

    It's the lack of adjustment when the RB doesn't go where Rey thinks/expects him to go that is a worry to me.

    If I can step out of my manlove for Rey for 1 second. The 1 thing I read that concerns me and it has stuck with me is that for USC having such a talented defense - they've been very vulnerable to the big play.

    I think what happens is these guys get spoiled with all the studs surrounding them and they take risks. On Youtube video of Oregon State, there's 1 play where Rey clogged hole thinking, they got my back. Well, the RB bounced it out and Rey stayed inside after clogging the hole. NOBODY was there at home on the outside when the RB bounced it out.

    Other examples might be Rey going for the big hit instead of squaring up and he overruns the play. I don't think Rey was as risky prior to his final year. I think SOME of that is feeling spoiled with who is around him. The other part is him wanting to make the highlight reels. And trust me when he misses, we got him on candid camera in here.

    - Tom F.

    ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #44

    @flugel said:

    If I can step out of my manlove for Rey for 1 second. The 1 thing I read that concerns me and it has stuck with me is that for USC having such a talented defense - they've been very vulnerable to the big play.

    I think what happens is these guys get spoiled with all the studs surrounding them and they take risks. On Youtube video of Oregon State, there's 1 play where Rey clogged hole thinking, they got my back. Well, the RB bounced it out and Rey stayed inside after clogging the hole. NOBODY was there at home on the outside when the RB bounced it out.

    Other examples might be Rey going for the big hit instead of squaring up and he overruns the play. I don't think Rey was as risky prior to his final year. I think SOME of that is feeling spoiled with who is around him. The other part is him wanting to make the highlight reels. And trust me when he misses, we got him on candid camera in here.

    - Tom F.

    Great stuff Tom. It's those things that make me skeptical of Rey and why I think the risk it too high to take him at 5, or any where in the top 15.