Skip to content

Joe Thomas doesnt want traded

The Browns Board
22 15 758
  • mary kay cabbagehead. Enough already, mary kay.

    (could we trade HER to another city?)

  • I don't want to see him go but if he does for some reason I do hope he sees a winner. Not many guys like Joe in the league who deserve a chance at the title. For those of you saying we'd get a bunch of high picks for him, we just won't so get that out of your minds. He might be a top 3 LT still but trades in the NFL aren't like that. I'm not kidding when I say the Richardson trade might seriously have been the biggest steal of a 1st rounder of all time. Joe would likely be offered late 2nd from a contender or 3rd, no way in hell we would get a 1st round pick for him.

    @jrb12711 said:

    I don't want to see him go but if he does for some reason I do hope he sees a winner. Not many guys like Joe in the league who deserve a chance at the title. For those of you saying we'd get a bunch of high picks for him, we just won't so get that out of your minds. He might be a top 3 LT still but trades in the NFL aren't like that. I'm not kidding when I say the Richardson trade might seriously have been the biggest steal of a 1st rounder of all time. Joe would likely be offered late 2nd from a contender or 3rd, no way in hell we would get a 1st round pick for him.

    Not even one #1?

    Here's the deal for a then 2-time, Pro Bowler. He's added five more since then, but has been 1st-team only twice... and he has missed games due to injury... including all of 2012.

    I'm pretty sure an 8-timer with five 1st-team berths, who has never missed a game would command an even better deal.

    Reviewing the Jason Peters trade

    At the time, Philadelphia was in need of a Left tackle, as franchise cornerstone Tra Thomas had just left in free agency to sign with the Jacksonville Jaguars. Armed with the 21st and 28th overall picks in the 2009 NFL draft, their options were slim in that regard, with the top offensive tackles projected to be on the board at the time the 21st overall pick came around were Baltimore Ravens disappointment Michael Oher and journeyman Eben Britton, while the top overall players projected to be available in that range were star wide receiver Jeremy Maclin and All-Pro center Alex Mack. With their options slim in that regard, Philadelphia turned toward the trade block, and came to find that 2-time Pro Bowl LT Jason Peters, who was in a contract stalemate with Buffalo, was available for the right price. After lengthy negotiations that included preliminary contract extension talks, Philadelphia sent Buffalo the 28th overall pick in 2009 it had received from Carolina, their 4th round pick in 2009, and a 2010 6th round pick.

    In return, the Eagles received the man whom Andy Reid gushed over as “the best left tackle in football”, who quickly signed a 4-year, $53 million dollar extension with his new team.

    http://www.footballsavages.com/reviewing-jason-peters-trade/