Skip to content

Talk To Your Kids About the SEC Myth

College Football Forum
331 16 13.6k
  • @wargograw said:

    They only play 15, which is where we are now in D1. Vast majority of those kids aren't going to the NFL either.

    What has that got to do with it?

    If the lower levels have a 16 team playoff, then D1 can have one too. Again.....they don't because they want to preserve the bowl system......though think about it.....what exactly are they preserving? A system where now 5-7 teams make bowl games.

    I would say it is all about the money....which I guess it must be. But how much money can some of these bowls bring in? Some of these lesser bowls I assume have at best half filled stadiums....and almost no TV viewership. And some of them are not really in locations that you want to spend your holidays. Boise...and The Bronx?

    And why do some places feel they deserve to host 2-3 bowls? Atlanta's Georgia Dome hosts 2.

    And a few others.

    Too many bowls. Sorry.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    What has that got to do with it?

    If the lower levels have a 16 team playoff, then D1 can have one too. Again.....they don't because they want to preserve the bowl system......though think about it.....what exactly are they preserving? A system where now 5-7 teams make bowl games.

    I would say it is all about the money....which I guess it must be. But how much money can some of these bowls bring in? Some of these lesser bowls I assume have at best half filled stadiums....and almost no TV viewership. And some of them are not really in locations that you want to spend your holidays. Boise...and The Bronx?

    And why do some places feel they deserve to host 2-3 bowls? Atlanta's Georgia Dome hosts 2.

    And a few others.

    Too many bowls. Sorry.

    A 16 team playoff in D1 would mean teams have to play 17 games. The powers that be have deemed that too many since it's longer than an NFL season. Maybe that'll change. The D2-3 folks play less regular season games.

  • @the-gipper said:

    What has that got to do with it?

    If the lower levels have a 16 team playoff, then D1 can have one too. Again.....they don't because they want to preserve the bowl system......though think about it.....what exactly are they preserving? A system where now 5-7 teams make bowl games.

    I would say it is all about the money....which I guess it must be. But how much money can some of these bowls bring in? Some of these lesser bowls I assume have at best half filled stadiums....and almost no TV viewership. And some of them are not really in locations that you want to spend your holidays. Boise...and The Bronx?

    And why do some places feel they deserve to host 2-3 bowls? Atlanta's Georgia Dome hosts 2.

    And a few others.

    Too many bowls. Sorry.

    A 16 team playoff in D1 would mean teams have to play 17 games. The powers that be have deemed that too many since it's longer than an NFL season. Maybe that'll change. The D2-3 folks play less regular season games.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @wargograw said:

    A 16 team playoff in D1 would mean teams have to play 17 games. The powers that be have deemed that too many since it's longer than an NFL season. Maybe that'll change. The D2-3 folks play less regular season games.

    17 games? How do you figure....unless teams are playing 13 games. Perhaps. If teams play a 12 game regular season...then a Conf. title game, then 4 playoff games for just 2 teams in the nation.

    I suspect that the Athletic Budget Directors of those 2 teams would be happy to see them play those 17 games.

    As far as that goes, since most of these guys are semipro anyway....the extra games would not hurt them.

    Of course...one other solution would be to limit the regular season to just 11 games......but God forbid that the big schools give up a cash cow with one of their cupcake games.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    You answered your own question. Of course folks would like the money. NFL owners would like the money of a 20 game season too, and yet it's been 16 for (you can look it up) years.

    Personally, I don't want a big playoff. But I would be intrigued by how good the OOC matchups would become if we had a 16 team playoff where teams were really scrambling to boost their RPI and get in "the tourney."

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by

    I wish this thread would die.

  • I wish this thread would die.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    I wish this thread would die.

    It has taken on various permutations......just go with the menstrual flow.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by

    SEC,SEC,,,,Alabama wins again.....yawn

  • SEC,SEC,,,,Alabama wins again.....yawn

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @ballpeen said:

    SEC,SEC,,,,Alabama wins again.....yawn

    Yea...HGH wins again!! 😆

    Hey peen....I am going to be down your way in a couple of weeks, passing through for a week that I am staying..in: Alabama!

    I will send you a PM.

  • I wish this thread would die.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    I wish this thread would die.

    The performance of the SEC this past week certainly won't make it die. They were 7-7 (and there was one conference game....South Carolina vs. Vanderbilt) so you might look at it more like 6-6. Some really bad losses as well.....and at least 3 more games in which they could easily have lost: Tenn to an FCS school, Ark. won by 1 pt. vs. La. Tech. The OT win....with the terrible college OT rule....of Txam over UCLA.

    Its a good thing the SEC has a fairly full schedule of cupcakes this week.....a lot of FCS schools. though there are a couple of league games, and a couple of tough non-conf. games: Tenn. vs. Va Tech (neutral site game) and Arkansas vs. TCU

    They were 3-4 vs. the other P5 leagues.

    But, yes, they have Alabama. I think between them and Georgia that is fairly it as far as high quality teams go.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    Ole Miss is a high quality team. Auburn may be. I will bet that LSU, Tennessee, and Florida are just fine down the stretch and if Arkansas does their normal thing, that's a tough out too.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by

    Ole Miss is high quality until the NCAA drops the hammer

    Just kidding. The NCAA is spineless.

  • Ole Miss is a high quality team. Auburn may be. I will bet that LSU, Tennessee, and Florida are just fine down the stretch and if Arkansas does their normal thing, that's a tough out too.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @wargograw said:

    Ole Miss is a high quality team. Auburn may be. I will bet that LSU, Tennessee, and Florida are just fine down the stretch and if Arkansas does their normal thing, that's a tough out too.

    They aren't even doing that great against the cupcakes. So. Alabama, So. Miss.

    I think the ACC has owned the SEC the last several years.

  • Ole Miss is high quality until the NCAA drops the hammer

    Just kidding. The NCAA is spineless.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    @mld-woody said:

    Ole Miss is high quality until the NCAA drops the hammer

    Just kidding. The NCAA is spineless.

    You're learning 😉

  • @wargograw said:

    Ole Miss is a high quality team. Auburn may be. I will bet that LSU, Tennessee, and Florida are just fine down the stretch and if Arkansas does their normal thing, that's a tough out too.

    They aren't even doing that great against the cupcakes. So. Alabama, So. Miss.

    I think the ACC has owned the SEC the last several years.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    They aren't even doing that great against the cupcakes. So. Alabama, So. Miss.

    I think the ACC has owned the SEC the last several years.

    They owned it one year. 2014. That's it. I only went back to 2005, but the SEC has a winning record against the ACC in all but 2014 and 2008 where it was .500. So no, they haven't owned the SEC over the last several years.

  • @the-gipper said:

    They aren't even doing that great against the cupcakes. So. Alabama, So. Miss.

    I think the ACC has owned the SEC the last several years.

    They owned it one year. 2014. That's it. I only went back to 2005, but the SEC has a winning record against the ACC in all but 2014 and 2008 where it was .500. So no, they haven't owned the SEC over the last several years.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @wargograw said:

    They owned it one year. 2014. That's it. I only went back to 2005, but the SEC has a winning record against the ACC in all but 2014 and 2008 where it was .500. So no, they haven't owned the SEC over the last several years.

    What was their record last year vs. ACC. I thought ACC won more. (though I may be thinking of 2014)

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    6-4. 3-5 in 2014.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    I would like to come up with a formula that factors in the strength of the teams involved in these non-con matchups. I mean, FSU is a legit national championship contender this year. Ole Miss was only ranked 10 or so. It's very shallow analysis to dock the latter for losing that game at a neutral site, especially by so little. Same with Auburn. Technically the same with Georgia/UNC (UNC was ranked higher), but I think most people know Georgia is the stronger program with much more talent. By the same token, App State should get credit for going into UT's house and playing them close. But I'm not sure how to factor it. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be willing to do the research.

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by

    I think it's hard to factor anything after one week except Alabama is for real.. Honestly I feel like the rest of the SEC is going to be down this yr.. Tenn should be good. App St is no walk over.. Ask Michigan..

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by

    And that app state isn't as good as our app State

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by

    Keep telling yourself that boy..

  • And that app state isn't as good as our app State

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    @mld-woody said:

    And that app state isn't as good as our app State

    Kinda splitting hairs. They went 11-2 last year and return 19 starters from that team.