Skip to content

In the second round, the Cleveland Browns select...

The Browns Board
81 28 2.8k
  • Josh Doctson, WR from TCU.

    At 6'3 and 195, he provides the kind of size our WR corp is sorely lacking. While not explosive, he has the ability to go up and get the ball, make contested grabs, and rarely drops anything. This is the kind of player we need on offense, and his skill set is a bit different from our other guys. He's a second round talent, so he's not a homerun type of specimen, but he could easily contribute immediately on offense, as well as help us in the red zone. Our Browns don't score touchdowns, that's the bottom line. We can move the ball, but we forever stall either in the red zone, or right before it. Countless touchdowns are scored every week in the NFL by targeting one-on-one coverage, and tossing a high pass. Other than Gary, we don't have the guy that can routinely make this catch. You don't win in the NFL by kicking FG's, and while we have an accurate kicker, he has his obvious drawbacks. His trajectory is woefully low, and coaches don't trust him from distance for this reason.

    Doctson is a guy who had a ton of receptions, both as a junior, and an even more impressive season as a senior. In 2015 he had 79 receptions and 14 TD's, and in 2014 he had 11 TD's. As a second round talent, he has some areas to work on, mostly adding muscle and attempting to gain more explosiveness. I don't think we can take a WR at #2, although I feel like Laquon Treadwell is a hell of a talent. We'll go Bosa if he's available at #2, or possibly Hargraves, Ramsey, or Goff.

    We obviously have to address the QB position in 2016, and I don't know how we're going to do that. Quality free agent QB's are virtually nonexistent, so we'll either have to trade a draft pick for someone (practically impossible), or take someone with the #2 pick. The Johnny bust completely kills us, and I'm not sure what we're going to do. Can we really go into the season with McCown, Davis, and Shaw? I guess we could, but is that the best path? Can we take someone in the 3rd round? Do we take a flyer on a Kaepernick, RG III, or some other wash out? Does a team like the Lions or Saint want to start completely over, and be willing to move Stafford or Brees?

    Too many questions at QB, and this thread is about the second round selection. I want a WR that can move the sticks and make tough catches. A guy with reliable hands that scores these magical things called TOUCHDOWNS. A player with good size that compliments our smaller waterbugs. I want Josh Doctson.

    http://www.todayspigskin.com/nfl-draft/josh-doctson-2016-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

    Check out the above link. It provides a good analysis on both his strengths and weaknesses. Who do you guys want to see in the second round? Do you think WR is as important to upgrade as I do? What other names are you looking at?

    Happy New Year boys, I'm actually excited. We're doing things differently, forging a new path. What we're doing takes balls, courage, and vision. Nobody knows if what we're doing will work, but we also don't know if it won't. I'm maintaining my optimism because I hate being the Negative Nancy of the bunch. Let's right this ship and actually have something to be proud of.

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Josh Doctson, WR from TCU.

    At 6'3 and 195, he provides the kind of size our WR corp is sorely lacking. While not explosive, he has the ability to go up and get the ball, make contested grabs, and rarely drops anything. This is the kind of player we need on offense, and his skill set is a bit different from our other guys. He's a second round talent, so he's not a homerun type of specimen, but he could easily contribute immediately on offense, as well as help us in the red zone. Our Browns don't score touchdowns, that's the bottom line. We can move the ball, but we forever stall either in the red zone, or right before it. Countless touchdowns are scored every week in the NFL by targeting one-on-one coverage, and tossing a high pass. Other than Gary, we don't have the guy that can routinely make this catch. You don't win in the NFL by kicking FG's, and while we have an accurate kicker, he has his obvious drawbacks. His trajectory is woefully low, and coaches don't trust him from distance for this reason.

    Doctson is a guy who had a ton of receptions, both as a junior, and an even more impressive season as a senior. In 2015 he had 79 receptions and 14 TD's, and in 2014 he had 11 TD's. As a second round talent, he has some areas to work on, mostly adding muscle and attempting to gain more explosiveness. I don't think we can take a WR at #2, although I feel like Laquon Treadwell is a hell of a talent. We'll go Bosa if he's available at #2, or possibly Hargraves, Ramsey, or Goff.

    We obviously have to address the QB position in 2016, and I don't know how we're going to do that. Quality free agent QB's are virtually nonexistent, so we'll either have to trade a draft pick for someone (practically impossible), or take someone with the #2 pick. The Johnny bust completely kills us, and I'm not sure what we're going to do. Can we really go into the season with McCown, Davis, and Shaw? I guess we could, but is that the best path? Can we take someone in the 3rd round? Do we take a flyer on a Kaepernick, RG III, or some other wash out? Does a team like the Lions or Saint want to start completely over, and be willing to move Stafford or Brees?

    Too many questions at QB, and this thread is about the second round selection. I want a WR that can move the sticks and make tough catches. A guy with reliable hands that scores these magical things called TOUCHDOWNS. A player with good size that compliments our smaller waterbugs. I want Josh Doctson.

    http://www.todayspigskin.com/nfl-draft/josh-doctson-2016-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

    Check out the above link. It provides a good analysis on both his strengths and weaknesses. Who do you guys want to see in the second round? Do you think WR is as important to upgrade as I do? What other names are you looking at?

    Happy New Year boys, I'm actually excited. We're doing things differently, forging a new path. What we're doing takes balls, courage, and vision. Nobody knows if what we're doing will work, but we also don't know if it won't. I'm maintaining my optimism because I hate being the Negative Nancy of the bunch. Let's right this ship and actually have something to be proud of.

    Great idea! I'm glad our HC will have a refreshing view point of how important the WR position is to a passing era (ie: Larry Fitzgerald in overtime anyone?)

    Hopefully Josh Gordon wants more out of life and career than hitting the snooze button. When he came back in 2014 not caring enough to know the playbook or give it his all after promising we'd see the very best of him - shame on me for thinking this guy is ever going to get it. He's costing himself millions of $. Since we still own his Tex-ass, why not package him and Johnny Blutarsky up for a deal with the God complex of Jerry Jones while it's obvious neither guy is ever going to prioritize football?

    Canton Mike had indicated Cincy's Mo Sanu is going to be a FA this year. He's already played in Hue's offense so that's a HUE j-plus. Unlike Hawkins this guy actually found the end zone 5 times in 2014 working out of the slot in a frame of 6'2" @ 210 lbs. In 2015, the 6-6 Tyler Eifert dominated a lot of Dalton's red zone attention hen it was time to consider alternatives to AJ Green; but Hue found other ways to tap Sanu's talent like using him at QB for a couple rushing TDs and/or key pass completions. I know Hawkins and Benjamin work hard but they don't help us put points on the board at all - especially in the red zone. If you're a QB that has to throw a slant pass over an NFL defensive line would you rather throw down to a guy the size of a horse jockey or at a 6"2" target? He's way easier for a QB to keep sight of him than Hawkins or Gabriel. It's time for at least one of those guys to go while it's urgent we get Travis Benjamin re-signed.

    Since we're probably going to keep Gordon (despite my idea) because he doesn't cost very much - this is what we could be looking at with some of the ideas presented here:

    Gordon, Benjamin, Sanu, Doctson, Pryor, Hartline

    Marlon Moore usually makes the team via his STs value.