Skip to content

Mangini denies Browns offered Brady Quinn to Denver

The Browns Board
29 19 2.4k
  • N ndneighbor wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Youngstown,

    Timely, relevant, priceless info. posted in an already existing relevant thread! What more could we ask for? Thanks for stopping by!

  • DrunkandstoopidD Drunkandstoopid wrote on last edited by
    #22

    TheJokersWILD said:

    Personally I think Mangini took Quinn aside and told him they will offer him in trades to other teams but WERE NOT going to trade him. Quinn knows what and what not to say so that's what makes me think that he is in on all the smokescreen things going on. Just like one user said that Quinn knows he is the starter but cannot say until DA is gone.

    Sounds like some kind of fantasy to me.

    So if your boss pulled you aside and told you "we're considering terminating you or the other guy in your position, but we're not going to terminate you, so pay no attention to the rumors", you'd be OK with that?

  • Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @shepwrite said:

    Yeah, Grossi and others are flogging Quinn for the Broncos 18th pick. Not sure how this helps the Browns. It's like trading Brady Quinn for Josh Freeman. Not good at all.

    Anderson ain't starting for this team next year, so if Quinn moves, you have to talk Stafford or Sanchez. Well, I'll amend that: Anderson could start a few games until the rook is ready. But teams are looking at Ryan and Flacco and saying, hey, if we have a line, let's get this thing started.

    BTW, I know Grossi a little through my bro-in-law. Very nice man. I imagine I'd be pissed, too, if my job was to tell Browns fans stuff about the Browns... and the Browns were shutting me down.

    Tony is a very nice guy Shep, I've met him myself a couple different times. Once was at camp where we talked for a good 15 minutes or so until he had to go to the media section. He even asked me if I wanted to come with him and I said no thanks cuz I didn't want to be a burden. Truth was it was 95 degrees that day and I was too hot to go into that cramped up area.

    Like I said, he may be seeing the second coming of Belichick with these guys. Either way, he's been around here a helluva lot longer than each of these new crop of coaches and probably doesn't take kindly to their stealth way of doing things.

  • @shepwrite said:

    Yeah, Grossi and others are flogging Quinn for the Broncos 18th pick. Not sure how this helps the Browns. It's like trading Brady Quinn for Josh Freeman. Not good at all.

    Anderson ain't starting for this team next year, so if Quinn moves, you have to talk Stafford or Sanchez. Well, I'll amend that: Anderson could start a few games until the rook is ready. But teams are looking at Ryan and Flacco and saying, hey, if we have a line, let's get this thing started.

    BTW, I know Grossi a little through my bro-in-law. Very nice man. I imagine I'd be pissed, too, if my job was to tell Browns fans stuff about the Browns... and the Browns were shutting me down.

    Tony is a very nice guy Shep, I've met him myself a couple different times. Once was at camp where we talked for a good 15 minutes or so until he had to go to the media section. He even asked me if I wanted to come with him and I said no thanks cuz I didn't want to be a burden. Truth was it was 95 degrees that day and I was too hot to go into that cramped up area.

    Like I said, he may be seeing the second coming of Belichick with these guys. Either way, he's been around here a helluva lot longer than each of these new crop of coaches and probably doesn't take kindly to their stealth way of doing things.

    ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @riffer-x said:

    Tony is a very nice guy Shep, I've met him myself a couple different times. Once was at camp where we talked for a good 15 minutes or so until he had to go to the media section. He even asked me if I wanted to come with him and I said no thanks cuz I didn't want to be a burden. Truth was it was 95 degrees that day and I was too hot to go into that cramped up area.

    Like I said, he may be seeing the second coming of Belichick with these guys. Either way, he's been around here a helluva lot longer than each of these new crop of coaches and probably doesn't take kindly to their stealth way of doing things.

    I have heard and seen a few little stories out there that Tony and many in the CLE media are very unhappy about being shut out in the dark, and having their access very limited.

    What I find interesting is that in all these threads about "CLE was offering Quinn to DEN", is that most stories are coming out of other cities (what do those people even know about CLE) or from very small papers in Ohio (Canton repos and Morning Journal). The stories in the Akron and CLE papers are only quoting other news papers, or run pure speculation. That's not a lot of weight to the story.

    Meanwhile no one mentions that after the Cutler deal when down, Mort and other guys on ESPN noted that CLE was a player, but trying to move Anderson, and DEN didn't want Anderson at all. They made no mention of Quinn ever being offered up in any trade involving Cutler

  • ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @inspecta said:

    Tony gets a lot of shit, especially on this board and I never quite understood why. Sure he has opinions, but so does everybody, and he's usually pretty mellow on how he delivers said opinions. One of my traditions on Monday afternoons is to listen to his podcast during the season. He has a lot of good stuff.

    And you're right, he's been around a lot longer than these assholes, I remember my father used to read his stuff in the paper every day when i was a kid!

    If anybody deserves to have the inside scoop on stuff it's him.

    Pluto deserves the inside scoop before anyone, imo.

    I don't dislike Grossi. But he moves with the breeze sometimes, and goes a little "Around the Horn" with some of his stuff.

    He also has a rep, from what I have heard, of being a bit of a complainer. In the end, I keep in mind that he is a sports writter for the PD. He has a target audience and will write to cater to that audience, because there are papers to sell.

  • mangini is a no nonsense hardass. if he was trying to trade quinn he would have no problem admitting it. i don't see him as the kind of guy to dance around and lie about a situation.

    Y YtownBrownsBacker wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @alendor said:

    mangini is a no nonsense hardass. if he was trying to trade quinn he would have no problem admitting it. i don't see him as the kind of guy to dance around and lie about a situation.

    I agree 100%

  • @shepwrite said:

    Yeah, Grossi and others are flogging Quinn for the Broncos 18th pick. Not sure how this helps the Browns. It's like trading Brady Quinn for Josh Freeman. Not good at all.

    Anderson ain't starting for this team next year, so if Quinn moves, you have to talk Stafford or Sanchez. Well, I'll amend that: Anderson could start a few games until the rook is ready. But teams are looking at Ryan and Flacco and saying, hey, if we have a line, let's get this thing started.

    BTW, I know Grossi a little through my bro-in-law. Very nice man. I imagine I'd be pissed, too, if my job was to tell Browns fans stuff about the Browns... and the Browns were shutting me down.

    Tony is a very nice guy Shep, I've met him myself a couple different times. Once was at camp where we talked for a good 15 minutes or so until he had to go to the media section. He even asked me if I wanted to come with him and I said no thanks cuz I didn't want to be a burden. Truth was it was 95 degrees that day and I was too hot to go into that cramped up area.

    Like I said, he may be seeing the second coming of Belichick with these guys. Either way, he's been around here a helluva lot longer than each of these new crop of coaches and probably doesn't take kindly to their stealth way of doing things.

    Y YtownBrownsBacker wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @riffer-x said:

    Tony is a very nice guy Shep, I've met him myself a couple different times. Once was at camp where we talked for a good 15 minutes or so until he had to go to the media section. He even asked me if I wanted to come with him and I said no thanks cuz I didn't want to be a burden. Truth was it was 95 degrees that day and I was too hot to go into that cramped up area.

    Like I said, he may be seeing the second coming of Belichick with these guys. Either way, he's been around here a helluva lot longer than each of these new crop of coaches and probably doesn't take kindly to their stealth way of doing things.

    I don't have nothing against Grossi and enjoy his stuff usually. I think there is some frustration because the local media is getting nothing and has to get all their stories from the wire service or write opinions based on what the wire service has. Very well, that Tony is reliving the Belichick era and not liking it.

    As for Mary Kay, she needs to write something original once in a while instead of just rewriting some yoyo's opinion from some other city.

  • @alendor said:

    mangini is a no nonsense hardass. if he was trying to trade quinn he would have no problem admitting it. i don't see him as the kind of guy to dance around and lie about a situation.

    I agree 100%

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #28

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    I agree 100%

    I do too.

    I also see him as a guy who can get hung up on schematics..he may not be trying to trade Quinn as that can imply he intends to do so.

    I guess the bottom line is I don't think all the stories out there are pure fabrication. I don't think Mary Kay and Tony wake up in the morning and decide they are going to start some new rumor and just write a pile of rubbish.......BUT...they do have to write something every day. If the Browns aren't giving them information, they have to seek it where they can.....so who knows???? shrug

  • OconReconO OconRecon wrote on last edited by
    #29

    Maybe Mangini was telling the truth. Peter King doesn't mention the Browns at all, and he usually has the correct scoop.

    How Cutler-Orton trade went down

    -Peter King

    Monday April 6, 2009 11:43AM

    At about 2:30 p.m. Denver time Thursday, the Broncos gave the Chicago Bears the final terms of what they'd accept in trade for disgruntled quarterback Jay Cutler: first- and second-round picks this year, a first-round pick in 2010 and quarterback Kyle Orton.

    Whoa! Too steep, thought Chicago GM Jerry Angelo, and he asked for a little time to mull it over and talk about it with his people. The Broncos told Angelo: "You've got a half-hour.''

    A few things went though Angelo's mind, including the last time he was part of a staff that traded two No. 1s for a player. "We did Keyshawn Johnson for two ones in Tampa Bay, and we really got burned by it,'' he told me Friday night. "But this is a quarterback. Maybe a really good quarterback.''

    We really want this guy, Angelo told those on his staff, but the compensation is too much. So he called the Broncos back and offered two ones, Orton and this year's fourth-round pick. Denver GM Brian Xanders and coach Josh McDaniels mulled it over and came back with this compromise: two first-round picks, Orton, and this year's third-round pick for Cutler and Denver's fifth-round pick this year.

    Done, Angelo said. Fair deal.

    "It was high-stakes poker,'' Angelo said when it was over. "And I couldn't see anyone else's hand.''

    In the end, Angelo rebuilt his battered, way-too-conservative GM image and Chicago got a potentially great long-term quarterback. (No other 4,000-yard passer has ever been traded at 25, or even the season after accumulating such a lofty number.) Denver got a better deal than the Broncos had a right to expect after their dissed owner ordered Cutler dealt, losing whatever leverage the team might have had. And Cutler proved he should write the foreword to Drew Rosenhaus' next book -- the one about how a superstar can shoot himself out of town. Cutler got exactly what he wanted, though talking oneself off the best young offense in football is not my idea of a good career decision by a franchise quarterback.

    Aside from the late haggling between the Bears and Broncos over the price, I do know some facts that haven't been out there -- I don't think -- yet. The five things I know for sure, from talking to those in the middle of the Cutler trade discussions in the three days since the deal went down:

    1. The key to the trade was Kyle Orton. Laugh if you want, but it's the absolute truth. McDaniels looked hard at tape of the available quarterbacks from teams that made serious offers, players like Orton, Washington's Jason Campbell and Tampa Bay's Luke McCown. Every one of those teams was in the ballpark with an offer of at least two first-round draft picks and a quarterback.

    But as the deal went down, McDaniels, who watched every offensive snap of more than 10 Bears games with Orton playing, got more and more impressed with Orton's arm, his decision-making and his ability to extend plays when the pocket broke down. You can think and I can think it's crazy he didn't like Campbell -- who got Washington off to a 6-2 start last year -- more than he liked Orton, but it's the unvarnished truth. McDaniels thinks he can win with Orton.

    2. The Bears were sure the deal was collapsing Thursday afternoon, because the Broncos weren't answering phone calls, e-mails or texts. GM Jerry Angelo thought he'd gotten the rug pulled out from underneath him. Angelo hadn't heard from the Broncos for about three hours, and got so nervous by mid-afternoon Chicago time that he sent McDaniels a text message that said, in effect, "We gotta get this done. What's it gonna take for the Bears to win this?''

    But the Broncos weren't ignoring Angelo, and they weren't working another team for a better deal. McDaniels told Xanders and the rest of the football people in the building that they weren't stopping business following owner Pat Bowlen's declaration that there was an open market for Cutler. Workouts would continue with McDaniels around; coaches meetings would go on as normal.

    And the Broncos had eight players in the building between Tuesday and Friday -- including first-round prospects Brian Orakpo (defensive end, Texas), Knowshon Moreno (running back, Georgia) and Tyson Jackson (defensive end, LSU). McDaniels met with two of the prospects during the middle of the talks for Cutler on Thursday, and he ignored the bleating on his cell phone while those meetings were going on.

    Now Angelo can know for sure -- the Broncos were going to make the deal with him unless his final offer was a fraction of those from Washington and Tampa Bay.

    3. The Jets were never in it seriously -- true story. New York is either convinced that Brett Ratliff or Kellen Clemens is its guy, or the Jets think the New York spotlight would have been too white-hot for a rabbit-ears guy like Cutler to handle, or they didn't want to pay two first-round picks for Cutler after giving a third for one season of Brett Favre. I just know that the Jets never made a remotely serious offer for Cutler, much to my surprise.

    4. All you Redskins fans who are so sure youwerethisclose to getting Cutler? Total BS. Yes, Washington was competitive, and the 'Skins would have done whatever it took to get Cutler. But once McDaniels decided Orton was his man -- even though Washington's first-round pick would have been the 13th overall, five slots ahead of Chicago's -- the contest was over. The 'Skins were out of it, even though Cutler and greater Washington were sure it almost happened.

    5. In the end, this trade happened so quickly because, first and foremost, the owner of the Broncos felt dissed. And you do not diss Pat Bowlen. Bowlen is 65. He has owned the team for 25 years. In Bowlen's world, there is a protocol to doing business, and part of that protocol is the players and coaches having respect for the owner, regardless of their personal feelings about anyone else in the organization. Imagine Tom Brady ignoring calls from Bob Kraft. It'd never happen. Imagine Dan Rooney getting snubbed by Ben Roethlisberger, or Peyton Manning ditching Jim Irsay. Never in a million years, regardless of how they felt about what was happening with the team, would it happen.

    In all the years Bowlen has owned the team, he has never felt quite the disrespect from a player or coach that he felt from Cutler ignoring his attempts to speak to him to attempt to bridge the problems between player and team. And you should not underestimate how significant this was in Bowlen's Tuesday-night pronouncement that Cutler was being put up on the trading block.