Skip to content

Browns have $42.368m in cap space

The Browns Board
61 22 2.2k
  • @flugel said:

    In the 5 games he played - we went 1-4 with him quitting on routes and not knowing the play book. We were 6-4 before that.

    This was the biggest red flag I saw out of Josh.

    I'm not sure if he really wants to be in Cleveland, or he was playing like shit because Johnny Boy wasn't the QB at the time...could be be both.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @canton-dawg said:

    This was the biggest red flag I saw out of Josh.

    I'm not sure if he really wants to be in Cleveland, or he was playing like shit because Johnny Boy wasn't the QB at the time...could be be both.

    Wasn't going to get into it, but I suspect the latter. The two were running together. We know that from their shared suspension for Week 17.

    Sometimes messages get through... even years late. I want to see JG after a full camp with QBs who can hit him 50+ yards down the field.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #42

    Extra cap money you say?

    WSS

  • @wargograw said:

    I also don't think we should pay Benjamin #1 money, and I'm saying this as one of his biggest believers.

    Bingo!

    I'm a fan of Benji as well, but just because he was #1 on the Browns doesn't mean he's a true NFL caliber #1 WR.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #43

    @canton-dawg said:

    Bingo!

    I'm a fan of Benji as well, but just because he was #1 on the Browns doesn't mean he's a true NFL caliber #1 WR.

    Yup- Tom the franchise tag for WRs is going to be around $13 million. At what point do you think Benjamin is asking too much?

    PS I won't debate you on Gordon anymore, it's going nowhere. I respect your points. I'll personally LMAO when Gordon tears it up this season.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #44

    another Gordon failure is very, very possible. I never saw Gordon all in on playing

    football when he -wasn't- suspended.

    and he's still making excuses about his upbringing. Maybe the first time or two I could accept that,

    depending...

    but seriously... any player who had been in trouble as he has been in... "thinks the no alcohol only lasted

    til the season was over"..

    ???

    What ever happened to "get off your ass and find out the specifics, find out from your agent....make sure

    you get to play football".

    But no, he just goes by what he "thinks". That is witless, and maybe he isn't smart enough to learn the playbook..

    and maybe getting suspended was cover for that.

    I don't know, but if I could trade him for a second round pick... I'd do it.

    It's possible he can come back, be serious, really want to be that player he COULD HAVE BEEN...

    but who knows. I believe this coaching staff will judge him based on his interview if he's reinstated,

    and the look in his eyes that he's serious.

    Okay, even a third round pick. dammit.

  • Mike HM Mike H wrote on last edited by
    #45

    Josh Lenz is fucking terrible and Benjamin is replaceable, give it up.

  • @canton-dawg said:

    Bingo!

    I'm a fan of Benji as well, but just because he was #1 on the Browns doesn't mean he's a true NFL caliber #1 WR.

    Yup- Tom the franchise tag for WRs is going to be around $13 million. At what point do you think Benjamin is asking too much?

    PS I won't debate you on Gordon anymore, it's going nowhere. I respect your points. I'll personally LMAO when Gordon tears it up this season.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @hoorta said:

    Yup- Tom the franchise tag for WRs is going to be around $13 million. At what point do you think Benjamin is asking too much?

    PS I won't debate you on Gordon anymore, it's going nowhere. I respect your points. I'll personally LMAO when Gordon tears it up this season.

    No, you don't respect my points. You think it's insane I'm frustrated with a player that's only suited up for us 5 times since 2013 and 4 of those were very forgettable.

    The Passion of Hoorta's football messiah where the light at the end of the tunnel has been the headlamp of an oncoming train since 2013. Now back to our regularly scheduled "he's gonna" which of course means "he still hasn't."

  • FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #47

    FWIW, I never said I wanted to pay Benjamin #1 WR money - I said I wanted us to re-sign him after learning how close we got and seeing how much $ we always leave unspent. Anyone happen catch the subject heading of this thread?

    I also said it wasn't his fault that the guy we have been counting on to be our #1 WR has only been able to play 5 football games since 2013. So by all means make Benjamin the bad guy so we can go right back to relying on Josh Gordon. We saw that magic he added to our 6-4 team he joined in progress in 2014.

    What am I missing about a guy that Baylor suspended twice that has continued to be suspended? I'm missing a #1 WR for 27 of our last 32 football games on a Cheech and Chong learning curve.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #48

    No shit Tom. I don't think anyone in their right mind suggest we keep our favorite players at inflated prices.

    I do think as a fan continuity is important. Guys that seem like they play their hearts out, they turn into fan favorites. And we lost enough guys that turned out to be damn good players elsewhere. So there's that.

    So if a guy doesn't care if he's here or not let him chase the buck. Just remember one of the reasons everybody seems to love Hue Jackson is that he's such a respected guy. Hey if that's true maybe he can convince some guys on the bubble to stick around.

    But hell, if you have cap money you might as well spend it on this season's version of Karlos Dansby.

    WSS

  • No shit Tom. I don't think anyone in their right mind suggest we keep our favorite players at inflated prices.

    I do think as a fan continuity is important. Guys that seem like they play their hearts out, they turn into fan favorites. And we lost enough guys that turned out to be damn good players elsewhere. So there's that.

    So if a guy doesn't care if he's here or not let him chase the buck. Just remember one of the reasons everybody seems to love Hue Jackson is that he's such a respected guy. Hey if that's true maybe he can convince some guys on the bubble to stick around.

    But hell, if you have cap money you might as well spend it on this season's version of Karlos Dansby.

    WSS

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #49

    @westside-steve said:

    No shit Tom. I don't think anyone in their right mind suggest we keep our favorite players at inflated prices.

    I do think as a fan continuity is important. Guys that seem like they play their hearts out, they turn into fan favorites. And we lost enough guys that turned out to be damn good players elsewhere. So there's that.

    So if a guy doesn't care if he's here or not let him chase the buck. Just remember one of the reasons everybody seems to love Hue Jackson is that he's such a respected guy. Hey if that's true maybe he can convince some guys on the bubble to stick around.

    But hell, if you have cap money you might as well spend it on this season's version of Karlos Dansby.

    WSS

    Really good post Steve! Thanks.

    We always hear we have to draft better or like Pittsburgh per say. I can't tell you how many pass rushing LBers/OLBs I've seen them bring in somewhere between round 2 and undrafted FAs whether we're talking Chad Brown, Greg Lloyd, Jason Gildon, Joey Porter, Lamar Woodley or James Harrison. They'd come in and learn vet making Pro Bowls. You DO that if you're not firing the DC/schemes every year or 2. All that perpetuates continuity and chemistry while keeping a cap healthy. By the time guys had been to a Pro Bowl or 2 and wanted FA money elsewhere - the next guy was already drafted a year or 2 ago for little to no drop off. Now compare that to the setup of our WR Corps in a passing era - what draftees are ready to step up once we lose a prior draft pick to free agency?

    Speaking of WRs, Pitt did well with a lot draftees after the first 2 rounds such as: Martavis Bryant in round 4, Antonio Brown round 6, Hines Ward in round 3 and whatever rounds they drafted Wheaton or Emmanuel Sanders in before that. They didn't skip a beat when Sanders left for Denver because they continued to draft WRs worth keeping and developing. Sure they drafted Burress and Holmes in the first round over the years but both divas got themselves in trouble so they weren't as long term in Pitt as some may have projected.

    That's why when this team drafts a 4th round WR like Benjamin embarking on his best football - it sucks to lose that even if he isn't a superstar. We can't afford to train guys so our competitors are cashing in on their best football. This is especilly so if we haven't been drafting anyone worth keeping or developing the last few years. We get the growing pains, learning curve and the first hint of what's around the corner. Then someone else benefits from it. Schwartz is a similar story even though he was a 2nd round pick. He's playing the best football of his career and we have a chance of losing him too. On my ride home from work here in Nashville, he was the most popular FA discussed on the radio here. That sucks! He hasn't always had reliable Guards next to him so our troubles were always running inside of tackle rather than off-tackle/outside - meaning he wasn't always as bad as the unfair criticism he received. We have the money to keep both guys without getting absurd. On top of that, draftees come in under a salary cap so we're not going to go broke keeping a couple players. If we haven't been good at the draft - does it make sense to get rid of draftees that are playing their best football and helping us?

  • stillmotionS stillmotion wrote on last edited by
    #50

    yeah too bad jimmy said we aren't spending anything in free agency....

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #51

    Is that what he said?

    I remember more along the lines of not going to go crazy with FA spending as the path to building a sustained winner is through the draft. But that key additions would be made as they presented themselves.

  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #52
  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #53

    According to OvertheCap we have 3 extra compensatory draft picks - 2 in the 4th, one in the 5th - for Skrine, Sheard, Hoyer.

  • hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #54

    Zombo said:

    Yes Z, but not really so. When we send Johnny marching Home, ($4.3 million), and (probably) release Bowe ($4.6 million), that looks like a zero sum game.

  • another Gordon failure is very, very possible. I never saw Gordon all in on playing

    football when he -wasn't- suspended.

    and he's still making excuses about his upbringing. Maybe the first time or two I could accept that,

    depending...

    but seriously... any player who had been in trouble as he has been in... "thinks the no alcohol only lasted

    til the season was over"..

    ???

    What ever happened to "get off your ass and find out the specifics, find out from your agent....make sure

    you get to play football".

    But no, he just goes by what he "thinks". That is witless, and maybe he isn't smart enough to learn the playbook..

    and maybe getting suspended was cover for that.

    I don't know, but if I could trade him for a second round pick... I'd do it.

    It's possible he can come back, be serious, really want to be that player he COULD HAVE BEEN...

    but who knows. I believe this coaching staff will judge him based on his interview if he's reinstated,

    and the look in his eyes that he's serious.

    Okay, even a third round pick. dammit.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #55

    @calfoxwc said:

    another Gordon failure is very, very possible. I never saw Gordon all in on playing

    football when he -wasn't- suspended.

    and he's still making excuses about his upbringing. Maybe the first time or two I could accept that,

    depending...

    but seriously... any player who had been in trouble as he has been in... "thinks the no alcohol only lasted

    til the season was over"..

    ???

    What ever happened to "get off your ass and find out the specifics, find out from your agent....make sure

    you get to play football".

    But no, he just goes by what he "thinks". That is witless, and maybe he isn't smart enough to learn the playbook..

    and maybe getting suspended was cover for that.

    I don't know, but if I could trade him for a second round pick... I'd do it.

    It's possible he can come back, be serious, really want to be that player he COULD HAVE BEEN...

    but who knows. I believe this coaching staff will judge him based on his interview if he's reinstated,

    and the look in his eyes that he's serious.

    Okay, even a third round pick. dammit.

    You realize he was on a plane with Joe Haden and Cleveland Browns coaches when he got popped, right? I don't think it was feigned ignorance, especially with coaches present. It was just pure ignorance all around, and for that he's less to blame.

    I put more stock in his first suspension than the most recent one.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    another Gordon failure is very, very possible. I never saw Gordon all in on playing

    football when he -wasn't- suspended.

    and he's still making excuses about his upbringing. Maybe the first time or two I could accept that,

    depending...

    but seriously... any player who had been in trouble as he has been in... "thinks the no alcohol only lasted

    til the season was over"..

    ???

    What ever happened to "get off your ass and find out the specifics, find out from your agent....make sure

    you get to play football".

    But no, he just goes by what he "thinks". That is witless, and maybe he isn't smart enough to learn the playbook..

    and maybe getting suspended was cover for that.

    I don't know, but if I could trade him for a second round pick... I'd do it.

    It's possible he can come back, be serious, really want to be that player he COULD HAVE BEEN...

    but who knows. I believe this coaching staff will judge him based on his interview if he's reinstated,

    and the look in his eyes that he's serious.

    Okay, even a third round pick. dammit.

    You realize he was on a plane with Joe Haden and Cleveland Browns coaches when he got popped, right? I don't think it was feigned ignorance, especially with coaches present. It was just pure ignorance all around, and for that he's less to blame.

    I put more stock in his first suspension than the most recent one.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by Mudfly
    #56

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I put more stock in his first suspension than the most recent one.

    pretty sure that first one was for cough syrup...then, after passing over 70 tests, he gets hit with the microscopic 15mls for weed....then, after another 70 passed tests, he gets whacked for 2 drinks with team mates and coaches(after posting pics)....

    Dude is a mess

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I put more stock in his first suspension than the most recent one.

    pretty sure that first one was for cough syrup...then, after passing over 70 tests, he gets hit with the microscopic 15mls for weed....then, after another 70 passed tests, he gets whacked for 2 drinks with team mates and coaches(after posting pics)....

    Dude is a mess

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #57

    @mudfly said:

    pretty sure that first one was for cough syrup...then, after passing over 70 tests, he gets hit with the microscopic 15mls for weed....then, after another 70 passed tests, he gets whacked for 2 drinks with team mates and coaches(after posting pics)....

    Dude is a mess

    Was it that new cocaine based cough syrup or just the old codeine based one? ๐Ÿ˜†

  • @mudfly said:

    pretty sure that first one was for cough syrup...then, after passing over 70 tests, he gets hit with the microscopic 15mls for weed....then, after another 70 passed tests, he gets whacked for 2 drinks with team mates and coaches(after posting pics)....

    Dude is a mess

    Was it that new cocaine based cough syrup or just the old codeine based one? ๐Ÿ˜†

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #58

    @texasag1969 said:

    Was it that new cocaine based cough syrup or just the old codeine based one? ๐Ÿ˜†

    codeine....

  • Mike HM Mike H wrote on last edited by Mike H
    #59

    You're ignorant as fuck if you think a good amount of other players aren't doing the same, if not more than Josh Gordon. He's not a pariah.

    Josh isn't smart enough to not get caught, it seems. But stop.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #60

    Really easy to not get caught... IIRC there's only a three month window for players not in the "substance program" to be tested... and once tested and clean there is no more testing until the next window.

    So basically you have to refrain for maybe 4 months max (one month and a day min) and you're good to go...

    ... so long as a dime bag isn't laying on the passenger seat during a traffic stop or some similar idiotic move.

    One former medical personnel called it an โ€œintelligence test, because itโ€™s once a year, and you know itโ€™s coming.โ€

    http://deadspin.com/its-remarkably-easy-to-beat-nfl-drug-testing-1695935246