Skip to content

RG3 Signs with the Browns

Locked The Browns Board
457 66 17.1k
  • K KillerInstinct3 wrote on last edited by KillerInstinct3
    #1

    BROWNS. thought? Hopefully he stalso healthy.

    Per NFL.com

  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #2

    In all seriousness, to me going with the rebound dude RG3 was 100x a stronger choice IMO than Kaep. I'm not leaping for joy but hey it's the most promising thing we've had in a while.

    I would still be completely fine drafting a QB at 2 as well at this point.

  • In all seriousness, to me going with the rebound dude RG3 was 100x a stronger choice IMO than Kaep. I'm not leaping for joy but hey it's the most promising thing we've had in a while.

    I would still be completely fine drafting a QB at 2 as well at this point.

    K KillerInstinct3 wrote on last edited by
    #3

    @jrb12711 said:

    In all seriousness, to me going with the rebound dude RG3 was 100x a stronger choice IMO than Kaep. I'm not leaping for joy but hey it's the most promising thing we've had in a while.

    I would still be completely fine drafting a QB at 2 as well at this point.

    Exactly. Draft Goff or Wentz and move on. McCown at age 37 is not gonna help us rebuild.

  • ComeonmanC Comeonman wrote on last edited by Comeonman
    #4

    Here we go folks....... At least he's not a 37 year old signing. Or draft choice

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic
    #5

    I want to know details of the contract. If it's $2M per, good. If it's $12M per, that's terrible.

    BUT

    If the actual plan is to deal McCown [someone we signed as a street FA] for a 2 or 3 to the Jets, then that's a great art of dealing by Sashi.

    I still don't understand what RG3 has to do with any of this. We're already quite competent at losing games with the backups - shaw, davis. What role does RG3 play in all of this other than "unnecessarily petulant locker room cancer" ?

  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #6

    I just verified his signing on the Browns Official website. Hopefully, he will be & remain healthy & we'll see what happens from here on out.

    Mike

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #7

    After Wentz's workout today, this should become very interesting come draft day. Do you take the bigger, long term rookie to bring along while RG3 and Co. running the O a couple of years, or do you go all in with defense early?

  • KvoetheK Kvoethe wrote on last edited by Kvoethe
    #8

    3 years 25 mil is what im guessing if Bowe was any indication.

    No one to throw to, no protection, i give him 3 games before IR.

    2 yrs evidently. Ill still guess 15 mil.

  • bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #9

    Fine, but I hope we still draft Goff

  • flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #10

    I think this can work. Rg3 knows that he is the bridge guy. He gets a shot to play again while Hue can coach up the qb they pick at 2. They can get some picks outa Josh from denser or jets. It is obvious that this is a major overhaul and having some wheels under qb behind a unproven O line seems wise. And fwiw, RG3 has won before and is well rested and healed. I think it's a definite upgrade from the Farmer duo of McCown and vader.

  • I want to know details of the contract. If it's $2M per, good. If it's $12M per, that's terrible.

    BUT

    If the actual plan is to deal McCown [someone we signed as a street FA] for a 2 or 3 to the Jets, then that's a great art of dealing by Sashi.

    I still don't understand what RG3 has to do with any of this. We're already quite competent at losing games with the backups - shaw, davis. What role does RG3 play in all of this other than "unnecessarily petulant locker room cancer" ?

    jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @unsympathetic said:

    I want to know details of the contract. If it's $2M per, good. If it's $12M per, that's terrible.

    BUT

    If the actual plan is to deal McCown [someone we signed as a street FA] for a 2 or 3 to the Jets, then that's a great art of dealing by Sashi.

    I still don't understand what RG3 has to do with any of this. We're already quite competent at losing games with the backups - shaw, davis. What role does RG3 play in all of this other than "unnecessarily petulant locker room cancer" ?

    No way a 37 year old journey man QB who had a mediocre year will get a 2-3 in a trade. If he does Sashi deserves the GM of the year award before the draft.

    Like a lot of other career backups, I appreciate what McCown did for the Browns. At this point though, I really hope the Browns still draft a top prospect at 2 and let him be the back-up. If that means McCown is released than that's how it goes, but I think he'd find work somewhere.

  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #12

    Good signing.

    Does not cost us a draft pick. Just money we are going to spend anyway.

    He was talented enough to go #2 overall, if he has learned some things and has his head on straight, I think Hue can do some terrific things with him.

    If not ... Oh well, we took a shot.

    I am guessing they looked at him in the eye and saw fire.

    He's from a strong military family. He may just be maturing.

    As a Realtor, there are times where you want to be the "second Realtor" on a listing, because it takes time for the Seller to come to their senses. I think RG3 is a player where you want be the second team.

    Zombo

  • T Taco918 wrote on last edited by
    #13

    I like the signing. I'll be curious to see if we set up our offense around RG3's strengths and if so, if we look for a QB with similar strengths (Prescott perhaps?) in the draft.

  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #14

    Draft day will be VERY interesting. QB at 2? Trade down, draft D, WR, or RB, get a project QB like Lynch a little later? After all, RG3 is just 26 years old.

    Let the speculation begin!

    Mike

  • I like the signing. I'll be curious to see if we set up our offense around RG3's strengths and if so, if we look for a QB with similar strengths (Prescott perhaps?) in the draft.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @taco918 said:

    I like the signing. I'll be curious to see if we set up our offense around RG3's strengths and if so, if we look for a QB with similar strengths (Prescott perhaps?) in the draft.

    That could be a plan I would get on board with.

  • C cuwoohio wrote on last edited by
    #16

    I'm willing to bet there won't be one media outlet that doesn't point out that this will be the twenty somethingish starting qb the Browns have had since 1999.

  • Draft day will be VERY interesting. QB at 2? Trade down, draft D, WR, or RB, get a project QB like Lynch a little later? After all, RG3 is just 26 years old.

    Let the speculation begin!

    Mike

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @canton-mike said:

    Draft day will be VERY interesting. QB at 2? Trade down, draft D, WR, or RB, get a project QB like Lynch a little later? After all, RG3 is just 26 years old.

    Let the speculation begin!

    Mike

    And it will.

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic
    #18

    If you're going to build an offense around your quarterback's strengths, it would be nice if your quarterback had a strength.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #19

    But here are a few examples of Super Bowl starting QBs being on their 2d, maybe third team. Its not that all these guys were "failures" with their first team....but that first team decided for one reason or another not to keep them around:



    Len Dawson....original team: Steelers


    Darryl Lamonica: Original team: Chargers


    Earl Morrall: 49ers


    Joe Kapp: (Canada)


    Johnny Unitas: Steelers


    Craig Morton: made SB with Cowboys that drafted him...but also later with Broncos


    Billy Kilmer: 49ers


    Fran Tarkenton (started with Vikings....went to Giants, then back to Vikings)


    Ron Jaworski: Rams


    Jim Plunkett: Patriots


    Joe Theisman: Dolphins


    Doug Williams: Bucs


    Steve Young: Bucs


    Chris Chandler: Colts


    Brett Favre: Falcons


    Stan Humprhies: Redskins


    Trent Dilfer: Bucs


    Kerry Collins: Panthers


    Brad Johnson: Vikings


    Rich Gannon: Vikings


    Matt Hasselback: Packers


    Drew Brees: Chargers


    Kurt Warner Rams then Giants then Cardinals.


    even Peyton Manning: Colts


    even sorta Jim Kelly (drafted by Bills, but played with USFL)


    Robert Griffin III



    Super Bowl, Baby


  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #20

    Stupid fucking move.