If the Browns moved again but kept the Browns name, would you still be a fan?
-
My friend loved Johnny Unitas as a kid and is a Colts fan to this day. He hated how they left, but his childhood memories of the team and the name Colts are why he stayed.
-
No, and it won't happen anytime soon. The lease isn't up until 2028- and it has a specific performance rider in it. Means the Browns are here at least until then.
BTW, if Modell had managed to keep the name and we we're looking at the Baltimore Browns- I would have officially been done with the NFL.
Reports I'm getting from relatives in St. Louis is 99% of them are done following the Rams, and were way done with the Cardinals. Speaking of- at least Cleveland retained an NFL franchise. I doubt we're going to see another NFL team in St Louis in our lifetime. They've already lost the Cardinals and Rams. The city just seems to attract Carpetbagger owners,
LOL, if you can find me 10 people that were original Cardinals fans in Chicago- and still follow the team, I'd be surprised.
-
not going to happen.
-
VesnaKociper said:
Turtles,
in all honestly, I have a hard enough time following these jackoffs now, let alone considering them the "authentic" Cleveland Browns. In my opinion the name belonged to Modell and his team. They should have named the team the Baltimore Browns. Here is the reasoning for why people of principle could come to no other perspective.
First off, the city never owned the name. Only Green Bay has a legal claim to the name of its team.
Next, is a matter of common decency, maturity and respect. The Cleveland Browns were moved, All the heritage, all the accomplishments were connected to that group of players. No different than a family name being handed down from generation-to generation. You would connect the dots from the players on that team directly to the REAL Browns of old.....Jim Brown......all the way to Willie Green and beyond. That this family was housed in Cleveland for so long, means jack shit. You sure wouldn't change YOURfamily name if your family moved to another town.
Modell owned the team, and that's all there is to it. It was HIS posession.
If Browns fans were smart, they would have demanded that the new team be called something else...........The Bullddogs, or whatever. IF that happened, the new owner would NOT have had a guaranteed packed stadium.........you will see proof of that in the jackoffs that reply to me.............."FUCK YOU MAN ITS DA BROWNS MAN.................... SO too it would have been, fans would not have showed up after a couple years of shit football. If you don't think fans motivate winning, go live in Pittsburgh for a few years. Steeler fans are more demanding that people who support the Browns.
Say whatever you want, but when you put people on handouts, they remain on handouts more likely than not for their whole life. The new owner woudl have had to find a way to put a real team on the field.
But I get it. Jackoffs here think that there is some fucking idiotic nobility or prestige in the Browns name, but there isn't. This is not a high-value brand name outside of this board.The Browns backers club claims to be the largest fan base................. REALLY? Ah, dude, once you registed as a Browns backer, ever 45 years after you fucking die, they still count you as a Browns backer.
Outside of this board, the Browns name is Barney Fife. It is a fucking one-bullet joke with some ass clown named Sushi running the show. SUSHI. THIS is who is going to make the Browns great? Can you say............. ANOTHER JACKOFF that the worlds dumbest fans will accept, chant " In Sushi we trust".... and then, get fucked in the ass for 3 more years.
It would not affect me one bit to see the Browns move, and only a blind man cannot deduce that the Browns WILL eventually move to a more commercially viable market. Die hards are found in no greater concentration than right here.............. and yet................. even Stan, they guy who owns this board doens't give a fuck about having season tickets any more.
So who is going to support the organization 10 years from now, when the average middle age guy is a millennial transgendered pole-smoking homo whose only reason for going to a ball game is to pull out his dick in a woman's restroom?
I have already lost interest in these jackoffs. They are playing in Nashville this year, only 220 miles from Memphrica, where i dodge bullets to stay sharp. Even that close, with many of my friends going, I won't. And it isn't just me.
Support them if they moved? If they move the Browns name dies. It is just not a highly valuable brand any more.
See my previous Tom. I would not have followed the Cleveland Bulldogs. F**k the money grubbing SOBs. Our name, our team, our colors. First, and probably only time it''s ever happened in sports. Might not mean shit to you- but it does to me.
And regarding Modell, I said back in the dark years the family should have had him cremated- because sure as shit he eventually got his grave pissed on. Probably more than the one time it was highly publicized.
Yup Browns now = Chicago Cubs. Lovable Losers. So what if they suck for another 10 years- you have no dog in the (financial) fight. I've said many times here- once you have premium seating at First Energy- you'd be a fool to walk away from it. Stan was up in the rafters- easy enough to walk away from that s**t, especially when you're supporting a minion army family, and would rather spend your cash in Vegas.
-
Probably not. I'd be a fan of Cleveland's new team though.
-
Another winning thread.
-
Probably not. I'd be a fan of Cleveland's new team though.
I followed the Oilers in the Campbell days but never thought the Titans were the Oilers. The Texans I barely follow and wondered why they just didn't retain "Oilers".
Edit: I did enjoy picking well for the Titans in our draft here however. And Carr has be a pleasant surprise considering I thought he might tank like older brother did in Houston.
Now the Browns in Cleveland have really grown on me these past two years and I felt as betrayed as anyone with Johnny Hollywood. I would not follow them to another city however and would not agree to let the name go with them if we could stop it legally.
-
-
Turtle, we may need to put you on a one thread a week limit.
Zombo
--Maybe then you'd come up with a good one
Zombo said:
Turtle, we may need to put you on a one thread a week limit.
Zombo
--Maybe then you'd come up with a good one
Thank you
-
Hello!!! People!!! The important part of the name "Cleveland Browns" is the "Cleveland" part, not the "Browns" part.
Something some of you may not know: The Cleveland Indians at various times were called The Cleveland Blues, The Cleveland Bronchos, The Cleveland Naps.....before they became the Indians. We root for the Browns because they are from Cleveland...we don't root for teams that are not from Cleveland/NE Ohio.
How many of you are still Rams fans because they originated in Cleveland before going to LA/St.Louis then back to LA?
So, yea, as Jerry Seinfeld said: you root for the laundry. As long as it says Cleveland.
-
The Cleveland Browns were moved, All the heritage, all the accomplishments were connected to that group of players.
Really? I mean, we are supposed to wax nostalgic about Craig Powell, Eric Zaire and Matt Stover? Except for Stover they would have all been gone as Browns players in a years time anyway.
-
No, and it won't happen anytime soon. The lease isn't up until 2028- and it has a specific performance rider in it. Means the Browns are here at least until then.
BTW, if Modell had managed to keep the name and we we're looking at the Baltimore Browns- I would have officially been done with the NFL.
Reports I'm getting from relatives in St. Louis is 99% of them are done following the Rams, and were way done with the Cardinals. Speaking of- at least Cleveland retained an NFL franchise. I doubt we're going to see another NFL team in St Louis in our lifetime. They've already lost the Cardinals and Rams. The city just seems to attract Carpetbagger owners,
LOL, if you can find me 10 people that were original Cardinals fans in Chicago- and still follow the team, I'd be surprised.
No, and it won't happen anytime soon. The lease isn't up until 2028- and it has a specific performance rider in it. Means the Browns are here at least until then.
BTW, if Modell had managed to keep the name and we we're looking at the Baltimore Browns- I would have officially been done with the NFL.
Reports I'm getting from relatives in St. Louis is 99% of them are done following the Rams, and were way done with the Cardinals. Speaking of- at least Cleveland retained an NFL franchise. I doubt we're going to see another NFL team in St Louis in our lifetime. They've already lost the Cardinals and Rams. The city just seems to attract Carpetbagger owners,
LOL, if you can find me 10 people that were original Cardinals fans in Chicago- and still follow the team, I'd be surprised.
Look man, I hope what I'm saying is 100% wrong but hear me out. 2028 is only about a decade away, and in that time frame I am certain a formal expansion to a place like London will be on the books. If we have another dreadful decade of football, the already dwindling "millennial" fan base will be that much smaller. I'm a Browns fan until the very end, but I can't say I blame people for not caring/supporting the team less each year. In addition, not to sound like a brash asshole but 12 or so years is also a lot of time where older fans may either be unable to attend games or are no longer with us. I truthfully the "tradition" of the Browns has carried the team (holy shit I'm agreeing with Ghoolie), but my generation doesn't have that sentiment like older folks do.
I think there's 2-3 other teams (Jags, Raiders for sure) that may be above the Browns in terms of jumping ship, but I'd be lying to you if it isn't something I always have in the back of my mind. However, if the browns just friking play above average football fans will come in droves.
-
-
I live in London and would hate that. New franchise or no franchise. Preferably no franchise - this is american football, it's the National Football League, not international. If they base a team here it will be purely because of rampant money grabbing and that sucks.
I'd rather see the european league started up as a 'minor league' version, over the summer (the soccer offseason).
-
-
I live in London and would hate that. New franchise or no franchise. Preferably no franchise - this is american football, it's the National Football League, not international. If they base a team here it will be purely because of rampant money grabbing and that sucks.
I'd rather see the european league started up as a 'minor league' version, over the summer (the soccer offseason).
I live in London and would hate that. New franchise or no franchise. Preferably no franchise - this is american football, it's the National Football League, not international. If they base a team here it will be purely because of rampant money grabbing and that sucks.
When has the NFL been about anything but that? Not since the 50s.
I'd rather see the european league started up as a 'minor league' version, over the summer (the soccer offseason).
They did that. Played for at least a decade. Not sure why it went belly up. Probably because it wasn't a rampant money grabber. The NFL can talk all they want about the concept of a minor league, but they want it to make money.
An article from a while back on why it failed:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=2920635&columnist=pasquarelli_len
-
If the Browns moved again but kept the Browns name, would you still be a fan?
Honestly... I don't know...
While certainly I would not be a fanatic trading pixels here or anywhere else, day in and day out...
And I also would not buy any team paraphernalia ...
I cannot say that I would not follow the team...
-
If the Browns moved again but kept the Browns name, would you still be a fan?
First actual problem with this statement is the word "again".
There can be no "again" as the Browns have never moved to begin with.
-
Is the premise of this thread that most of us would be Baltimore Browns fans if they retained the name?
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login