Skip to content

New beginnings - Danny Shelton

The Browns Board
42 14 1.6k
  • http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=40395&page=2

    "New England Patriots Schedule Standings Stats Roster Live Blog Odds Tickets Nose Tackle Danny Shelton Among Patriots’ Combine Day 4 Interviews by Doug Kyed on Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 5:13PM1,090 Share this: INDIANAPOLIS — Players like Vince Wilfork don’t come around very often. The New England Patriots nose tackle is 6-foot-2, 325 pounds, can play 70 percent of defensive snaps and move all the way from nose tackle to defensive end. There’s a similar player in the 2015 NFL draft, and the Patriots have shown interest in the first-round prospect. The Patriots held an informal interview with Washington defensive tackle Danny Shelton on Friday night at the NFL Scouting Combine. The 6-foot-2, 339-pound defensive tackle showed positional versatility with the Huskies while recording 93 tackles, nine sacks and 16.5 tackles for loss. He also showed impressive stamina, playing 874 snaps in the middle of the Huskies’ defense in 2014. An AFC scout compared Shelton to Wilfork, and called the Washington product’s game “unbelievable.” Shelton currently projects as a top 15 pick, so the Patriots might need to trade up to select him in the draft."

    Read more at: http://nesn.com/2015/02/nose-tackle-danny-shelton-among-patriots-combine-day-4-interviews/

  • I think there are some similarities, but I didn't have Shelton QUITE as good as Wilfork coming out of college. Perhaps it's because I live in Florida and saw Wilfork play much more, but who knows. I do know that Shelton played a high percentage of snaps in college, and I do know that he's a coachable kid that probably won't ever have problems off the field. He's a guy that's going to work and pay attention to his diet to avoid unnecessary weight gain. I could be mistaken, but I doubt it.

    Shelton's rookie year was nothing special, and I don't think I'll get an argument from that statement. Was he horrible? No. Did he blow our socks off and make a ton of game altering plays? No. But...was there promise there? Could you see what this guy could possibly do with the right coaching and proper strength program? I completely think so. Now, I don't ever think Shelton will be a pro bowl player, but that doesn't mean I don't think he'll be a valuable starter for years to come. He might be CLOSE to what Wilfork was, but he'll never be Ngata (just my opinion). Ngata was/is a freak of nature and not something that comes around very often.

    We have Mingo (first rounder), Orchard (second), Ogbah (second), and Nassib (third I think), as well as Kruger (11 sacks in 2014). Some of these guys need to play like their round would suggest, and others need to recapture the magic. We have invested in our pass rushing, and it will eventually pay off. I wouldn't sleep on Nassib.

    But, in order to rush the QB, we have to step up on the DL. Xavier Cooper, Danny Shelton, Desmond Bryant...these are the guys that need to strap it on and make running the ball up the middle a tough assignment. Take up the blockers, get some penetration, and allow our LB's to get after it.