Thoughts on the defensive front from tonights game and holy shit Nassib looks legit..
-
the people who wanted mack were right. the people who liked gilbert were wrong, me.
watkins is still a question mark. bills seem to be in trouble right out of the gate.
-
Only viewed the 1st half so far...
With the exception of Nassib our DL seemed to be "catching"... almost so uniform I wonder if it's being coached. With his exception I don't see any explosion into the blockers.
With the exception of Nassib I do not see a pass rusher capable of beating pass pro 1-on-1.
Now before I seem too fanboyish I have to say that Nassib is currently:
- a liability vs. the run. Saw him handled by a big TE. Mostly he is picking a side against the run... the penetration looks good, but so far he hasn't guessed correctly.
- limited to a edge rush vs. the pass. Going to need that secondary move there. When packaged into the interior he was not effective.
But oh how I love his motor... Highest revving I've seen since Billy's rookie year.
As for the rest of the D...
- Loved seeing the line stunts in the pass rush... even freed Danny late in the half... unfortunately he only succeeded in getting in Nassib's way preventing a potential sack.
- Discipline wasn't good. DEs bit on boot action every time.
- Blitzing did not produce much pressure. Kirksey's early free-run was the only lane creation I noted.
- LBs by and large were unremarkable other than a moment here and there. Only one playing with "game intensity" I saw was Tank who flew around late and appeared to make very fast and correct run reads... wish he could pass defend.
- DBs? No one rocked anyone... Gilbert is a candidate for the position of WhiffMaster General. And why Taylor was determined to take a tall, lanky WR down high is beyond me... at least he was our best cover man for a couple series. On Positive note there were no blown assignments that I saw and coverage was at least in the area... step or two behind, but in the area.
2nd half later...
And both halves of O in the game thread...
-
I wonder what the draft pick #would be if calculated by some numbers guy....... Like 12 picks in a year / how many years, what would be the common denominator or whatever it'd be called that #28th pick is the browns?
I mean is there really value in trading down and drafting 2nd and 3rd stringers to be sideline cannon fodder vs. keeping the pick and drafting in the top 5 which we could have done for the past gazzillion years?
I wonder what the draft pick #would be if calculated by some numbers guy....... Like 12 picks in a year / how many years, what would be the common denominator or whatever it'd be called that #28th pick is the browns?
I mean is there really value in trading down and drafting 2nd and 3rd stringers to be sideline cannon fodder vs. keeping the pick and drafting in the top 5 which we could have done for the past gazzillion years?
Yes.
For a team like the Browns have been, the value is there........if you don't cut the cannon fodder after two years and get a new guy to install new cannon fodder.
Two years ago, the Browns were a team of third stringers with one or two mid level talent players and two or three backup level players.
Now, this is a team of backups with one or two star potential players and two or three mid-level talent players.
Add a couple high draft picks next year and one or two FA acquisitions and now it's a team of mid level starters with maybe one elite level player, and two or three stars.
For the love of God...just don't hit the reset button again.
-
"I'm a Nassib potential guy. He checks every box in terms of off-field intangibles, and I really like that he added basically 75 pounds to his frame so that he could play DE. He's a guy that I think could come in and compete immediately and blossom into an above average professional player for an extended period of time. To me, he just seems like one of those draft finds that teams like the Patriots or Steelers of late would grab. "
I don't like to toot my own horn, but toot toot.
I love that Nassib is playing well right now. I hope he carries it on through the regular season.
-
we won't see what Nassib's capable of for a couple years. This isn't a cut on Nassib he's a rook, but i'm seeing the same thing i saw in his tape from penn....if he guess's right and cuts hard into a gap he's tough. But he can't fight off OL yet. This was one of the main reason's i didn't put him in Bosa's league. He doesn't hand fight well unless he's pass rushing around the edge. In run defense he lets guys get in on him way too much. And that's fine like I said he's a rookie. My concern isn't necessarily with him it's with the Browns lack of a track record developing players. Look from what i've seen Nassib is one "hell" of a raw talent. He definitely looks like he at least belongs on an NFL field. But the Browns have to make him ply his trade. He gets stronger and learns how to leverage guys around with his hands......we could have something special. The kid already has the motor and twitch off the line. I dont think there's any reason why he couldn't play Krugers position either. From what i've seen Ogbah should be steered more towards the 3-4 DE spot while Nassib should move around.
-
we won't see what Nassib's capable of for a couple years. This isn't a cut on Nassib he's a rook, but i'm seeing the same thing i saw in his tape from penn....if he guess's right and cuts hard into a gap he's tough. But he can't fight off OL yet. This was one of the main reason's i didn't put him in Bosa's league. He doesn't hand fight well unless he's pass rushing around the edge. In run defense he lets guys get in on him way too much. And that's fine like I said he's a rookie. My concern isn't necessarily with him it's with the Browns lack of a track record developing players. Look from what i've seen Nassib is one "hell" of a raw talent. He definitely looks like he at least belongs on an NFL field. But the Browns have to make him ply his trade. He gets stronger and learns how to leverage guys around with his hands......we could have something special. The kid already has the motor and twitch off the line. I dont think there's any reason why he couldn't play Krugers position either. From what i've seen Ogbah should be steered more towards the 3-4 DE spot while Nassib should move around.
we won't see what Nassib's capable of for a couple years. This isn't a cut on Nassib he's a rook, but i'm seeing the same thing i saw in his tape from penn....if he guess's right and cuts hard into a gap he's tough. But he can't fight off OL yet. This was one of the main reason's i didn't put him in Bosa's league. He doesn't hand fight well unless he's pass rushing around the edge. In run defense he lets guys get in on him way too much. And that's fine like I said he's a rookie. My concern isn't necessarily with him it's with the Browns lack of a track record developing players. Look from what i've seen Nassib is one "hell" of a raw talent. He definitely looks like he at least belongs on an NFL field. But the Browns have to make him ply his trade. He gets stronger and learns how to leverage guys around with his hands......we could have something special. The kid already has the motor and twitch off the line. I dont think there's any reason why he couldn't play Krugers position either. From what i've seen Ogbah should be steered more towards the 3-4 DE spot while Nassib should move around.
He's far surpassed Bosa's league.
He signed his contract and has played NFL football.
-
Please stop insulting place kickers! LOL
Gilbert is a farce.
Mike
Yes, my apologies to Lou Groza, Lou Michaels and all of the 'real' football players who also kicked.
-------------------
As far as Nassib goes....he looks ALL WORLD when nobody blocks him. Sounds like a sarcastic knock on him but it's not. Some guys get left unblocked and they don't do anything noteworthy.
But he does look rather ordinary when they block him. - I'm pulling for him. He DID knock down a pass while being blocked soundly. -
Nassib fan club founder, thank you very much.
-
Nassib fan club founder, thank you very much.
Also a Manziel fan. Call it a wash.
-
Got ya beat by about two months there, chap.Nassib fan club founder, thank you very much.
-
2012 - #3 - traded for a first, somehow, without a team
2012 - #22 - cut
2013 - #6 - will be cut
2014 - #8 - could be cut
2014 - #22 - cut
2015 - #12 done nothing of note
2015 - #19 'done nothing of note' would be an improvement
7 first round picks from three regimes and none have looked even close to pro-bowl level. That's some bad luck.
2012 - #3 - traded for a first, somehow, without a team
2012 - #22 - cut
2013 - #6 - will be cut
2014 - #8 - could be cut
2014 - #22 - cut
2015 - #12 done nothing of note
2015 - #19 'done nothing of note' would be an improvement
7 first round picks from three regimes and none have looked even close to pro-bowl level. That's some bad luck.
Nope, not bad luck- bad drafting. As Ghoolie would say passing on terrific talent (Julio Jones) to take a shot on mid level talent. Quantity over quality hasn't worked- yet. Just more of the same old, same old. Let's hope Coleman reverses the trend. The Browns better knock their draft out of the park next year- because if Carson Wentz turns into a stud- the FO will be kicking themselves in the ass- again.
-
Nassib fan club founder, thank you very much.
Also a Manziel fan. Call it a wash.
-
Manziel, Gilbert, Mingo, Shelton, and Erving absolutely destroyed us. It's obviously too early to write off Shelton or Erving, but the early indications are far from good. Shelton was drafted at the number 12 slot for crying out loud. That's an impact pick, and we have not gotten the impact from him. Again, it's early, but watching him get his ass whipped by Mack hurt for so many reasons. Yes, I know Mack is elite, but I wanted to see Shelton win A FEW battles!
Mud has said repeatedly that we don't have defensive talent. It's difficult to argue with him. We hear over and over how preseason defenses are "vanilla" and don't display too much of what they want to run. I can't even use that as an excuse because NT doesn't exactly have a ton of variation. Hue Jackson left Shelton in a little longer against the Falcons than some other starters. It's easy to see why. He wants to know what the guy can do.
Early indications of our defense's ability to tackle are not good. We will probably get chewed up on the ground (again) and this will keep our offense to fewer possessions. An early 3 and out by the offense could quite literally put us in an awful hole. It's difficult to sit here and say I feel optimistic about the defense, and I'm an optimistic guy. We've had 2 friggin preseason games, and I don't want to get TOO upset, but I certainly want to see better tackling, more penetration, and more early punts against the Bucs. A good performance in this pivotal 3rd exhibition game would go a long way for this unit. We get sliced and diced by Winston this Friday (and he looks incredible btw),AND we get torched in the ground...it's going to be a long 2 weeks before we play at Philadelphia and obviously lose because we don't win 1st games.
-
Got ya beat by about two months there, chap.Nassib fan club founder, thank you very much.
Got ya beat by about two months there, chap.
Bandwagon getting a little crowded?
-
Nassib fan club founder, thank you very much.
Did you start a fan club?
Because I was retaining his rights as the only Penn Stater on here who followed his breakout year last season.
Sign me up for the newsletter.
Z
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login