Schefter reports Gilbert traded....
-
Not arguing, but come on man, this team had so many holes and they all couldn't be filled in just one off season. We could argue all day until we're blue in the face on whether we should've gone QB, OL, front 7, back end, a lil' bit of every position this first off season, but the reality is the FO could only do so much.
Lets give the guys until at least Oct 1 before we all cry to blow it up again.
Can't keep blowing it up just wished they'd have a plan. I was so excited with Pettine and Farmer coming on board that I thought they would at least have a defense worth a shit. I liked the Shelton pick even though the jury is still out on that one. I was hoping they would have stayed put this year and taken the best DL or LB available to add to Shelton. They trade down and take, what I believe to be, a #2 WR to put with a shit offensive line, questionable RBs and a washed up QB. I don't know what Sashi's plan is but I don't know if he really has one.
Can't keep blowing it up just wished they'd have a plan. I was so excited with Pettine and Farmer coming on board that I thought they would at least have a defense worth a shit. I liked the Shelton pick even though the jury is still out on that one. I was hoping they would have stayed put this year and taken the best DL or LB available to add to Shelton. They trade down and take, what I believe to be, a #2 WR to put with a shit offensive line, questionable RBs and a washed up QB. I don't know what Sashi's plan is but I don't know if he really has one.
Honestly, this is kind of how I feel.....the "plan" isnt really making complete sense to me....especially the part about completely stripping the team, then making WR the first priority on the rebuild....thats just weird
-
Can't keep blowing it up just wished they'd have a plan. I was so excited with Pettine and Farmer coming on board that I thought they would at least have a defense worth a shit. I liked the Shelton pick even though the jury is still out on that one. I was hoping they would have stayed put this year and taken the best DL or LB available to add to Shelton. They trade down and take, what I believe to be, a #2 WR to put with a shit offensive line, questionable RBs and a washed up QB. I don't know what Sashi's plan is but I don't know if he really has one.
Honestly, this is kind of how I feel.....the "plan" isnt really making complete sense to me....especially the part about completely stripping the team, then making WR the first priority on the rebuild....thats just weird
Honestly, this is kind of how I feel.....the "plan" isnt really making complete sense to me....especially the part about completely stripping the team, then making WR the first priority on the rebuild....thats just weird
Which of the moves would you not have made? Honestly, getting anything in return for Gilbert and Mingo is a bonus. I could have seen keeping Kruger for experience and depth in the OLB position, but I can't imagine you're losing sleep on that one. Punters are punters, by and large - get one that is consistent and go with it. No 60 yarders is not a huge price to pay for no 20 yarders, and yes Lee was good but a 4th round pick? Come on.
Going back, they are clearly dedicated to getting the 'weapons' - as we're legally obliged to call these guys - in place to give a QB chance to succeed. OK, sure. We went the 'get a solid OL and go from there' route a few years and it got us basically nowhere, so why not try a little ghoolie-ball?
On D, I might have kept Dansby, but Campbell looks like a solid replacement for Whitner - complete with lack of coverage skills.
For me the only missteps have been not keeping hold of Schwartz and Gipson. The draft strategy you can argue day and night but having lots of picks is not a bad thing.
-
Honestly, this is kind of how I feel.....the "plan" isnt really making complete sense to me....especially the part about completely stripping the team, then making WR the first priority on the rebuild....thats just weird
Which of the moves would you not have made? Honestly, getting anything in return for Gilbert and Mingo is a bonus. I could have seen keeping Kruger for experience and depth in the OLB position, but I can't imagine you're losing sleep on that one. Punters are punters, by and large - get one that is consistent and go with it. No 60 yarders is not a huge price to pay for no 20 yarders, and yes Lee was good but a 4th round pick? Come on.
Going back, they are clearly dedicated to getting the 'weapons' - as we're legally obliged to call these guys - in place to give a QB chance to succeed. OK, sure. We went the 'get a solid OL and go from there' route a few years and it got us basically nowhere, so why not try a little ghoolie-ball?
On D, I might have kept Dansby, but Campbell looks like a solid replacement for Whitner - complete with lack of coverage skills.
For me the only missteps have been not keeping hold of Schwartz and Gipson. The draft strategy you can argue day and night but having lots of picks is not a bad thing.
Which of the moves would you not have made? Honestly, getting anything in return for Gilbert and Mingo is a bonus. I could have seen keeping Kruger for experience and depth in the OLB position, but I can't imagine you're losing sleep on that one. Punters are punters, by and large - get one that is consistent and go with it. No 60 yarders is not a huge price to pay for no 20 yarders, and yes Lee was good but a 4th round pick? Come on.
Going back, they are clearly dedicated to getting the 'weapons' - as we're legally obliged to call these guys - in place to give a QB chance to succeed. OK, sure. We went the 'get a solid OL and go from there' route a few years and it got us basically nowhere, so why not try a little ghoolie-ball?
On D, I might have kept Dansby, but Campbell looks like a solid replacement for Whitner - complete with lack of coverage skills.
For me the only missteps have been not keeping hold of Schwartz and Gipson. The draft strategy you can argue day and night but having lots of picks is not a bad thing.
I would have made some of the same moves.....the Gilbert and Mingo trades are fine.....Id do it to...
Woulda gotten rid of Kruger too, BUT( and its a big but).....I would've aggressively gone after an OLB in both the draft and FA first...esp if Im dumping both Mingo and Kruger...
Yep...letting Schwartz go was a mistake(and handled VERY poorly by the FO...)
Im 50/50 on the Lee trade....not griping, but probably would have kept him....(like I said on another thread, we have never scored a great player in the 4th over 55 years)....so, great punter vs average to below average back up player.....hmmmmm
Been a fan of Campbell all along and was pushing for the Browns to draft him, actually.....and, yeah, would've kept Dansby....
My biggest issues are the draft and the FO / HC choice....to me, this group felt like some of the worst choices since Haslem took over......and I know Im in the minority, and NONE of us knows how it will turn out.....but I dont claim that Im right and someone else is wrong.....just saying what my eyes and heart are telling me......to me, false optimism is basically lying(to myself and others), so Im not going there this year.....
....but here, if you aren't "all in", then your opinion is either wrong or whiny or bitching......
In the end, Im excited to see the young guys play....Im supporting the new kids and, like everyone else, hope to see greatness emerge....just kinda down that is ALL im gonna get for another year or 2 or 3.....wish I had enough of a team that I could, at least, delude myself into thinking we "could" win now, etc.....
-
I feel you. There are things I probably would have done differently, but Coleman, Ogbah and Nassib are solid enough picks for me to start the draft off. Shon Coleman I can live with if he grows in to a serviceable right tackle. Kessler is where they lost me a bit. But between Kindred, Schobert, and Scooby, and a couple of the receivers, they backed up the solid start with 'promising' guys with good production.
If we take Kessler and replace him with, say, Andrew Billings, or Nick Vannett, for example, I'm all good.
-
Which of the moves would you not have made? Honestly, getting anything in return for Gilbert and Mingo is a bonus. I could have seen keeping Kruger for experience and depth in the OLB position, but I can't imagine you're losing sleep on that one. Punters are punters, by and large - get one that is consistent and go with it. No 60 yarders is not a huge price to pay for no 20 yarders, and yes Lee was good but a 4th round pick? Come on.
Going back, they are clearly dedicated to getting the 'weapons' - as we're legally obliged to call these guys - in place to give a QB chance to succeed. OK, sure. We went the 'get a solid OL and go from there' route a few years and it got us basically nowhere, so why not try a little ghoolie-ball?
On D, I might have kept Dansby, but Campbell looks like a solid replacement for Whitner - complete with lack of coverage skills.
For me the only missteps have been not keeping hold of Schwartz and Gipson. The draft strategy you can argue day and night but having lots of picks is not a bad thing.
I would have made some of the same moves.....the Gilbert and Mingo trades are fine.....Id do it to...
Woulda gotten rid of Kruger too, BUT( and its a big but).....I would've aggressively gone after an OLB in both the draft and FA first...esp if Im dumping both Mingo and Kruger...
Yep...letting Schwartz go was a mistake(and handled VERY poorly by the FO...)
Im 50/50 on the Lee trade....not griping, but probably would have kept him....(like I said on another thread, we have never scored a great player in the 4th over 55 years)....so, great punter vs average to below average back up player.....hmmmmm
Been a fan of Campbell all along and was pushing for the Browns to draft him, actually.....and, yeah, would've kept Dansby....
My biggest issues are the draft and the FO / HC choice....to me, this group felt like some of the worst choices since Haslem took over......and I know Im in the minority, and NONE of us knows how it will turn out.....but I dont claim that Im right and someone else is wrong.....just saying what my eyes and heart are telling me......to me, false optimism is basically lying(to myself and others), so Im not going there this year.....
....but here, if you aren't "all in", then your opinion is either wrong or whiny or bitching......
In the end, Im excited to see the young guys play....Im supporting the new kids and, like everyone else, hope to see greatness emerge....just kinda down that is ALL im gonna get for another year or 2 or 3.....wish I had enough of a team that I could, at least, delude myself into thinking we "could" win now, etc.....
- I would've aggressively gone after an OLB in both the draft and FA first...
- You know I was with you on LB need, but in reality what impact LBs were there for us that were not hindered by significant injury?
-
Which of the moves would you not have made? Honestly, getting anything in return for Gilbert and Mingo is a bonus. I could have seen keeping Kruger for experience and depth in the OLB position, but I can't imagine you're losing sleep on that one. Punters are punters, by and large - get one that is consistent and go with it. No 60 yarders is not a huge price to pay for no 20 yarders, and yes Lee was good but a 4th round pick? Come on.
Going back, they are clearly dedicated to getting the 'weapons' - as we're legally obliged to call these guys - in place to give a QB chance to succeed. OK, sure. We went the 'get a solid OL and go from there' route a few years and it got us basically nowhere, so why not try a little ghoolie-ball?
On D, I might have kept Dansby, but Campbell looks like a solid replacement for Whitner - complete with lack of coverage skills.
For me the only missteps have been not keeping hold of Schwartz and Gipson. The draft strategy you can argue day and night but having lots of picks is not a bad thing.
I would have made some of the same moves.....the Gilbert and Mingo trades are fine.....Id do it to...
Woulda gotten rid of Kruger too, BUT( and its a big but).....I would've aggressively gone after an OLB in both the draft and FA first...esp if Im dumping both Mingo and Kruger...
Yep...letting Schwartz go was a mistake(and handled VERY poorly by the FO...)
Im 50/50 on the Lee trade....not griping, but probably would have kept him....(like I said on another thread, we have never scored a great player in the 4th over 55 years)....so, great punter vs average to below average back up player.....hmmmmm
Been a fan of Campbell all along and was pushing for the Browns to draft him, actually.....and, yeah, would've kept Dansby....
My biggest issues are the draft and the FO / HC choice....to me, this group felt like some of the worst choices since Haslem took over......and I know Im in the minority, and NONE of us knows how it will turn out.....but I dont claim that Im right and someone else is wrong.....just saying what my eyes and heart are telling me......to me, false optimism is basically lying(to myself and others), so Im not going there this year.....
....but here, if you aren't "all in", then your opinion is either wrong or whiny or bitching......
In the end, Im excited to see the young guys play....Im supporting the new kids and, like everyone else, hope to see greatness emerge....just kinda down that is ALL im gonna get for another year or 2 or 3.....wish I had enough of a team that I could, at least, delude myself into thinking we "could" win now, etc.....
....but here, if you aren't "all in", then your opinion is either wrong or whiny or bitching......
In the end, Im excited to see the young guys play....Im supporting the new kids and, like everyone else, hope to see greatness emerge....just kinda down that is ALL im gonna get for another year or 2 or 3.....wish I had enough of a team that I could, at least, delude myself into thinking we "could" win now, etc.....
Yup, I want to see some on field progress. I've seen way too may guys here think "in Savage We trust", then it's Farmer will be a good GM. To this point Sashi and Depodesta have proved nothing, other than they sure as hell know how to stockpile draft picks.
-
Zombo said:
Lol.
Your roster must blow.
Lol...yeah it must. A roster you'd take in a heartbeat.
Lol...yeah it must. A roster you'd take in a heartbeat.
Only maybe 3-4 players make your Steeler roster better than the Browns roster. BR, Brown, Heyward,..a couple of others.
-
Zombo said:
Lol.
Better hope Ben doesn't go down. Not much else going on there.
Z
And I know you're hoping he does, but fear not the Steelers have acquired Mettenberger from the Chargers!
How can you go wrong with another QB named 'berger'?
A double berger man...two all beefs, one well done the other a litte raw.
And I know you're hoping he does, but fear not the Steelers have acquired Mettenberger from the Chargers!
How can you go wrong with another QB named 'berger'?
A double berger man...two all beefs, one well done the other a litte raw.
Mettenberger better than Landry Jones, FWIW.
-
I just wanted Gilbert cut, but THIS FO gets rid of him, gets a pick for him, AND dumps him on Pittspuke! LOL
Life is good!
Mike
And you know who else I bet believes "life is good" ? Justin Gilbert.
A stud in college and high on almost everyone's board, the sentiment out there is that all this guy needs is a change of scenery, from a losing culture to a winning one. Many view Gilbert as being "rescued". We shall see.
And you know who else I bet believes "life is good" ? Justin Gilbert.
A stud in college and high on almost everyone's board, the sentiment out there is that all this guy needs is a change of scenery, from a losing culture to a winning one. Many view Gilbert as being "rescued". We shall see.
Hell, it is going to take a hell of a lot more than just a "change of scenery" to bet Gilbert motivated to play football.
Now, I suppose the one thing that this trade may do to him is to cause him to mature. Maturity is his biggest problem. Being cut and thrown out on the street may have actually been better for him.....but being traded for a 6th round pick may also be a bitch slap to his face....which is a lot of what he needs. 50/50 on whether it will work.
-
And you know who else I bet believes "life is good" ? Justin Gilbert.
A stud in college and high on almost everyone's board, the sentiment out there is that all this guy needs is a change of scenery, from a losing culture to a winning one. Many view Gilbert as being "rescued". We shall see.
Hell, it is going to take a hell of a lot more than just a "change of scenery" to bet Gilbert motivated to play football.
Now, I suppose the one thing that this trade may do to him is to cause him to mature. Maturity is his biggest problem. Being cut and thrown out on the street may have actually been better for him.....but being traded for a 6th round pick may also be a bitch slap to his face....which is a lot of what he needs. 50/50 on whether it will work.
Hell, it is going to take a hell of a lot more than just a "change of scenery" to bet Gilbert motivated to play football.
Now, I suppose the one thing that this trade may do to him is to cause him to mature. Maturity is his biggest problem. Being cut and thrown out on the street may have actually been better for him.....but being traded for a 6th round pick may also be a bitch slap to his face....which is a lot of what he needs. 50/50 on whether it will work.
Frankly I don't care about him or what he needs any more and hope his move fails miserably because he's inside the division still.
-
We paid too much for Gilbert as a first rounder. The Steelers got him for peanuts (which is what I think he is worth). At least we got something for him and there is an off chance a new environment for Gilbert may turn him around. I don't think it will happen but for as little as the Steelers had to give for him it seems like it was worth it from their point of view to take a chance with him.
-
Hell, it is going to take a hell of a lot more than just a "change of scenery" to bet Gilbert motivated to play football.
Now, I suppose the one thing that this trade may do to him is to cause him to mature. Maturity is his biggest problem. Being cut and thrown out on the street may have actually been better for him.....but being traded for a 6th round pick may also be a bitch slap to his face....which is a lot of what he needs. 50/50 on whether it will work.
Frankly I don't care about him or what he needs any more and hope his move fails miserably because he's inside the division still.
-
We paid too much for Gilbert as a first rounder. The Steelers got him for peanuts (which is what I think he is worth). At least we got something for him and there is an off chance a new environment for Gilbert may turn him around. I don't think it will happen but for as little as the Steelers had to give for him it seems like it was worth it from their point of view to take a chance with him.
We paid too much for Gilbert as a first rounder. The Steelers got him for peanuts (which is what I think he is worth). At least we got something for him and there is an off chance a new environment for Gilbert may turn him around. I don't think it will happen but for as little as the Steelers had to give for him it seems like it was worth it from their point of view to take a chance with him.
hmmm, let's see....
mike tomlin talkin to you OR hue jackson talking to you.
which one makes you laugh thinking about it?
-
We paid too much for Gilbert as a first rounder. The Steelers got him for peanuts (which is what I think he is worth). At least we got something for him and there is an off chance a new environment for Gilbert may turn him around. I don't think it will happen but for as little as the Steelers had to give for him it seems like it was worth it from their point of view to take a chance with him.
hmmm, let's see....
mike tomlin talkin to you OR hue jackson talking to you.
which one makes you laugh thinking about it?
-
LOL
You either have it in you to be an NFL player or not. Gilbert didn't show much as a Brown and the only thing Tomlin may accomplish is an early exit for Gilbert with the Steelers.
-
Hey "fellers" hope the offseason hasnt treated you poorly and based on this thread most were happy to get something for gilbert. My stance is this, i have no expectations for gilbert BUT instead guarded optimism that a culture change will alter his approach to the game. The Browns are turning a corner but havent really instilled much optimism in a long time. Gilbert fell from grace and pretty much got cut, similar to santonio holmes with us BUT Santonio obviously performed. I think being around guys like William Gay, Ross Cockrell who was a 4th round castoff of the bills and is now starting for us and certainly guys like Antonio Brown who is probably the hardest working player in the nfl will alter his approach. If Gilbert is terrible it was a 6th but if he turns it around what a bargain. I will say at the very least he impressed me in his interviews, he doesnt seem like an idiot. I guess we'll find out. Enjoy week 1 cunts.

-
Hey "fellers" hope the offseason hasnt treated you poorly and based on this thread most were happy to get something for gilbert. My stance is this, i have no expectations for gilbert BUT instead guarded optimism that a culture change will alter his approach to the game. The Browns are turning a corner but havent really instilled much optimism in a long time. Gilbert fell from grace and pretty much got cut, similar to santonio holmes with us BUT Santonio obviously performed. I think being around guys like William Gay, Ross Cockrell who was a 4th round castoff of the bills and is now starting for us and certainly guys like Antonio Brown who is probably the hardest working player in the nfl will alter his approach. If Gilbert is terrible it was a 6th but if he turns it around what a bargain. I will say at the very least he impressed me in his interviews, he doesnt seem like an idiot. I guess we'll find out. Enjoy week 1 cunts.

Hey "fellers" hope the offseason hasnt treated you poorly and based on this thread most were happy to get something for gilbert. My stance is this, i have no expectations for gilbert BUT instead guarded optimism that a culture change will alter his approach to the game. The Browns are turning a corner but havent really instilled much optimism in a long time. Gilbert fell from grace and pretty much got cut, similar to santonio holmes with us BUT Santonio obviously performed. I think being around guys like William Gay, Ross Cockrell who was a 4th round castoff of the bills and is now starting for us and certainly guys like Antonio Brown who is probably the hardest working player in the nfl will alter his approach. If Gilbert is terrible it was a 6th but if he turns it around what a bargain. I will say at the very least he impressed me in his interviews, he doesnt seem like an idiot. I guess we'll find out. Enjoy week 1 cunts.

It will take more than a culture change to change Gilbert. It will take a personality change. It could happen. He needs maturity. Can he get it there? Who knows....and at this point we don't really care. We hope he continues to suck the way he did here.
-
Hey "fellers" hope the offseason hasnt treated you poorly and based on this thread most were happy to get something for gilbert. My stance is this, i have no expectations for gilbert BUT instead guarded optimism that a culture change will alter his approach to the game. The Browns are turning a corner but havent really instilled much optimism in a long time. Gilbert fell from grace and pretty much got cut, similar to santonio holmes with us BUT Santonio obviously performed. I think being around guys like William Gay, Ross Cockrell who was a 4th round castoff of the bills and is now starting for us and certainly guys like Antonio Brown who is probably the hardest working player in the nfl will alter his approach. If Gilbert is terrible it was a 6th but if he turns it around what a bargain. I will say at the very least he impressed me in his interviews, he doesnt seem like an idiot. I guess we'll find out. Enjoy week 1 cunts.

It will take more than a culture change to change Gilbert. It will take a personality change. It could happen. He needs maturity. Can he get it there? Who knows....and at this point we don't really care. We hope he continues to suck the way he did here.
It will take more than a culture change to change Gilbert. It will take a personality change. It could happen. He needs maturity. Can he get it there? Who knows....and at this point we don't really care. We hope he continues to suck the way he did here.
I was really impressed with him in a recent interview and weve had success with cockrell another cb cast off the front office liked in the draft. As i said zero expectations but im curious to see how he does like most people.
-
Hey "fellers" hope the offseason hasnt treated you poorly and based on this thread most were happy to get something for gilbert. My stance is this, i have no expectations for gilbert BUT instead guarded optimism that a culture change will alter his approach to the game. The Browns are turning a corner but havent really instilled much optimism in a long time. Gilbert fell from grace and pretty much got cut, similar to santonio holmes with us BUT Santonio obviously performed. I think being around guys like William Gay, Ross Cockrell who was a 4th round castoff of the bills and is now starting for us and certainly guys like Antonio Brown who is probably the hardest working player in the nfl will alter his approach. If Gilbert is terrible it was a 6th but if he turns it around what a bargain. I will say at the very least he impressed me in his interviews, he doesnt seem like an idiot. I guess we'll find out. Enjoy week 1 cunts.

Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login