Draft Talk
-
Scratch Derek Barnett off my first round list and as a premium pass rusher.
Next up, Tim Williams tape.
-
Mistake
Oh?
-
What did you see that made you scratch Barnett?
It's what I didnt see. His first step lacks explosion, kid plays heavy footed.
No ability to dip and bend getting under and by the tackle. Also saw no strong bull rush to compensate.
Makes decent enough use of his hands, stacks and sheds well enough. But if this team is looking for a pass rusher first and foremost, he ain't it.
-
What did you see that made you scratch Barnett?
It's what I didnt see. His first step lacks explosion, kid plays heavy footed.
No ability to dip and bend getting under and by the tackle. Also saw no strong bull rush to compensate.
Makes decent enough use of his hands, stacks and sheds well enough. But if this team is looking for a pass rusher first and foremost, he ain't it.
It's what I didnt see. His first step lacks explosion, kid plays heavy footed.
No ability to dip and bend getting under and by the tackle. Also saw no strong bull rush to compensate.
Makes decent enough use of his hands, stacks and sheds well enough. But if this team is looking for a pass rusher first and foremost, he ain't it.
Thanks for the insight. I hadn't watched the kid so I wanted to know what the hangup was.
-
I'm looking at WalterFootball and Charlie Campbell has got us:
1. Myles Garrett (DE/OLB)
9. Mike McGlinchey (OT)
33. Gareon Conley (CB)
50. Marcus Maye (S)
Two questions:
1. What does everyone think about us skipping an offensive lineman and stocking up on stud defensive players? I wouldn't mind grabbing Marlon Humphrey (if he slides to the 9th) or Jamal Adams as opposed to another OL. I know that this draft class is loaded with defensive backs, but why not og after the two best ones? Humphrey looks special.
2. Charlie Campbell has Tim Williams at 27, and he questions his ability to be an every-down backer/end. Isn't he the more reputable one vs. Walter?
-
I'm happy skipping OL in a weak OL class, given our *relative* depth at the position.
-
Plus... and this is simply based on history... I think there will be at least one hidden, OL gem waiting to be mined on Days 2 and 3.
Plus... and this is simply based on history... I think there will be at least one hidden, OL gem waiting to be mined on Days 2 and 3.
I know, at least between myself and you, this has been a theme for the past couple years.
In that time I've seen these value picks bloom so I'm on board with day 2 or 3 lineman.
But to ignore the OL completely if it's suggested...? Not a chance.
-
I'm looking at WalterFootball and Charlie Campbell has got us:
1. Myles Garrett (DE/OLB)
9. Mike McGlinchey (OT)
33. Gareon Conley (CB)
50. Marcus Maye (S)
Two questions:
1. What does everyone think about us skipping an offensive lineman and stocking up on stud defensive players? I wouldn't mind grabbing Marlon Humphrey (if he slides to the 9th) or Jamal Adams as opposed to another OL. I know that this draft class is loaded with defensive backs, but why not og after the two best ones? Humphrey looks special.
2. Charlie Campbell has Tim Williams at 27, and he questions his ability to be an every-down backer/end. Isn't he the more reputable one vs. Walter?
I'm looking at WalterFootball and Charlie Campbell has got us:
1. Myles Garrett (DE/OLB)
9. Mike McGlinchey (OT)
33. Gareon Conley (CB)
50. Marcus Maye (S)
Two questions:
1. What does everyone think about us skipping an offensive lineman and stocking up on stud defensive players? I wouldn't mind grabbing Marlon Humphrey (if he slides to the 9th) or Jamal Adams as opposed to another OL. I know that this draft class is loaded with defensive backs, but why not og after the two best ones? Humphrey looks special.
2. Charlie Campbell has Tim Williams at 27, and he questions his ability to be an every-down backer/end. Isn't he the more reputable one vs. Walter?
Me qb #1, BPA defense with the Eagles pick, and BPA o-line with either of the second round picks.
-
Plus... and this is simply based on history... I think there will be at least one hidden, OL gem waiting to be mined on Days 2 and 3.
Plus... and this is simply based on history... I think there will be at least one hidden, OL gem waiting to be mined on Days 2 and 3.
There always is....still hoping Drango was last years.....you never know.....
I know, at least between myself and you, this has been a theme for the past couple years.
In that time I've seen these value picks bloom so I'm on board with day 2 or 3 lineman.
But to ignore the OL completely if it's suggested...? Not a chance.
FA....FA....FA.....
Im hoping the Browns decide to sign someone this year.....and OL would be the perfect place to start to avoid a repeat of this season and also avoid the inevitable growing pains of a rookie(or 2) on the OL.....which would(again) be a repeat of this year.....
-
Ok....just did my first "draft game" of the season.....and went against everything Ive been saying....traded back...then drafted a QB high.....then drafted OL help, instead of just signing some......none the less, Id take it.....gonna try another approach on the next one tho.....
Your score is: 10487 (GRADE: A)
Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 5 (TENN): Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina (A+)
Round 1 Pick 10: Teez Tabor, CB, Florida (A+)
Round 1 Pick 15 (TENN): Tim Williams, OLB/DE, Alabama (A)
Round 2 Pick 1: Pat Elflein, C/OG, Ohio State (B+)
Round 2 Pick 15: Adoree' Jackson, CB, Southern California (A)
Round 3 Pick 1: Vita Vea, DT, Washington (A+)
Round 3 Pick 5 (TENN): Justin Evans, SS, Texas A&M (A)
Round 4 Pick 1: Zach Banner, OG, Southern California (B+)
Round 5 Pick 31: Daniel Carlson, K, Auburn (A+)
Round 6 Pick 1: Malachi Dupre, WR, LSU (A+)
-
All Offense. Franchise QB, Franchise RB, Rebuilt the Oline from the Center out to the RT, picked up a dual threat FB and a change of pace back that doubles as a dangerous threat on KR/PR... and didn't touch the next two drafts.
I think defensively once we get everyone back healthy next season we will be good.
Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 4 (CHI): Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina (A+)
Round 1 Pick 10: Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU (A+)
Round 1 Pick 13 (BUF): Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama (A)
Round 2 Pick 1: Ethan Pocic, C/OG, LSU (A)
Round 2 Pick 4 (CHI): Pat Elflein, C/OG, Ohio State (A-)
Round 5 Pick 31: Freddie Stevenson, FB, Florida State (A+)
Round 6 Pick 1: Donnel Pumphrey, RB, San Diego State (A-)
Your Future Picks:
2018 Round 1 Pick
2019 Round 1 Pick
-
My fuck it get 'em both draft while throwing away the future.
Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 3 (JAX): Myles Garrett, DE/OLB, Texas A&M (A+)
Round 1 Pick 4 (CHI): Jonathan Allen, DE/DT, Alabama (A+)
Round 2 Pick 1: Pat Elflein, C/OG, Ohio State (B+)
Round 2 Pick 15: Adoree' Jackson, CB, Southern California (A)
Round 3 Pick 1: Marcus Maye, FS, Florida (B+)
Round 4 Pick 1: Chad Kelly, QB, Ole Miss (B+)
Round 5 Pick 31: Daniel Carlson, K, Auburn (A+)
Round 6 Pick 1: Donnel Pumphrey, RB, San Diego State (A-)
Your Future Picks: Gone -
Plus... and this is simply based on history... I think there will be at least one hidden, OL gem waiting to be mined on Days 2 and 3.
There always is....still hoping Drango was last years.....you never know.....
I know, at least between myself and you, this has been a theme for the past couple years.
In that time I've seen these value picks bloom so I'm on board with day 2 or 3 lineman.
But to ignore the OL completely if it's suggested...? Not a chance.
FA....FA....FA.....
Im hoping the Browns decide to sign someone this year.....and OL would be the perfect place to start to avoid a repeat of this season and also avoid the inevitable growing pains of a rookie(or 2) on the OL.....which would(again) be a repeat of this year.....
There always is....still hoping Drango was last years.....you never know.....
FA....FA....FA.....
Im hoping the Browns decide to sign someone this year.....and OL would be the perfect place to start to avoid a repeat of this season and also avoid the inevitable growing pains of a rookie(or 2) on the OL.....which would(again) be a repeat of this year.....
I'll add this veteran idea to the discussion with mixed feelings. The TN Titans are not going to re-sign Chance Warmack this year and their line has improved quite a bit in his absence. They were talking on the radio at length about this the other day and it was said that he had a choice to play through an injury (that their medical staff felt was doable with ongoing rehab) or get the surgery. He chose the surgery and it was another thing that rubbed their brass the wrong way about his commitment. If I'm a player, I'd want the surgery that brings me back closer to 100% than performing at a fraction of my capability so I'm not sure I agree with how he is perceived by the Tits.
I'm leaning toward hoping we can try to sign Warmack with the uncertainties to both of our OGs. Both Warmack and Cooper were elite prospects coming out in the draft. Both guys are young too; and it would free up other areas/priorities on draft day to address first. We also have plenty of money to do this without worrying about cap health.
At the draft, I'd like to focus on defense early and often beginning with Allen or Garrett and then upgrading help at Safety and Corner.
-
Like the sentiment, Flugs... just not sure about the target.
I know how controversial PFF OL grades are here, but we'd be pulling a piece of their 29th ranked, 2015 OL of which they wrote:
Summary: They’ve tried to fix the line, but it just hasn’t worked. Taylor Lewan looks like a hit, but Chance Warmack has never lived up to the billing. Outside of that, they have a lot of guys playing, but none catching the eye, making up a particularly porous protection unit.
Not exactly a condemnation, but not an endorsement either.
Did he make a leap this year?
-
I feel myself starting to settle with the first two picks of the draft. We take Mitch with the first pick, REGARDLESS of "overdrafting" and the temptation of taking an impact defensive guy. If we have Kizer or Watson rated higher than Mitch, we take them first. No matter what, we take the QB we like the best, and tell the world to screw off. I've seen ENOUGH of poor QB play. The ONLY caveat I will put in, is if we don't have ANY of the QB's rated high enough to take right there. If we truly don't believe that any of the top QB's can be an NFL starter, then we can't force it. But if we grade any of the guys as able to be a successful NFL QB, we take who we want. With the Eagles' pick, we take Reuben Foster at linebacker. It's obvious we need help on defense, so why not get a guy who will be in on the statistical highest number of plays?
-
Eagles now tied with Chargers for 7th without figuring inn SOS. We just might have a shot at Foster right there and I agree with that pick. But now that we have seen how well QB's get identified by the Browns, forget it for #1 overall. This is a weak QB class. Accept it or we will be just like the Jags with Bortles. Besides I'm tired of the Browns looking like draft day laughingstocks, which is what we will be if we don't take either Garrett or Allen. Every time I see Khalil Mack running over a QB I cringe knowing we screwed the pooch. F'n idiots!
-
all said and done, I don't believe any team will have Kizer or Watson rated higher than Trubisky, and perhaps
a lot of teams will have Rudolph in the later first round.
-
I'm looking at WalterFootball and Charlie Campbell has got us:
1. Myles Garrett (DE/OLB)
9. Mike McGlinchey (OT)
33. Gareon Conley (CB)
50. Marcus Maye (S)
Two questions:
1. What does everyone think about us skipping an offensive lineman and stocking up on stud defensive players? I wouldn't mind grabbing Marlon Humphrey (if he slides to the 9th) or Jamal Adams as opposed to another OL. I know that this draft class is loaded with defensive backs, but why not og after the two best ones? Humphrey looks special.
2. Charlie Campbell has Tim Williams at 27, and he questions his ability to be an every-down backer/end. Isn't he the more reputable one vs. Walter?
Me qb #1, BPA defense with the Eagles pick, and BPA o-line with either of the second round picks.
-
all said and done, I don't believe any team will have Kizer or Watson rated higher than Trubisky, and perhaps
a lot of teams will have Rudolph in the later first round.
all said and done, I don't believe any team will have Kizer or Watson rated higher than Trubisky, and perhaps
a lot of teams will have Rudolph in the later first round.
I believe plenty will have Watson above Mitch, but there's no way to know. We'll only know one team, and that'll be the one that takes the first QB.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login