Squeelers and stupid dirty ratbirds have to be po'd
-
Actually both our defensive line coach and LB coach said he's light years from starting as it stands and if anything he'll contribute on a situational basis. They drafted him for defensive line depth not to come in and play right away. I'm sure you've picked up on the recent Steeler trends. Timmons and Woodley didn't contribute much year one besides Woodley's playoff performance against Jacksonville. Year two it's a completely different story and neither player needed to contribute year one nor were they expected to contribute to a tremendous degree, ultimately because of the amount of talent already on the roster.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Timmons was expected to contribute immediately, but a nagging groin injury & Harrison's emergence prevented it from happening. Definitely don't think the Steelers drafted him with the plans of playing him at ILB - IIRC, he spent his rookie camp working almost exclusively outside.
And it could be that the Steelers' coaches think Hood needs a year or two to develop. But if one or both of your aging DE's gets hurt, wouldn't he be expected to contribute now? If not, you'd be in the same position as you were in '07, when Aaron Smith got hurt & your run defense went into the crapper.
Something tells me that this won't be a redshirt year for Hood. And I'm not sure you'll be pleased with what he's able to give you guys, at least right away.
Aloysius said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Timmons was expected to contribute immediately, but a nagging groin injury & Harrison's emergence prevented it from happening. Definitely don't think the Steelers drafted him with the plans of playing him at ILB - IIRC, he spent his rookie camp working almost exclusively outside.And it could be that the Steelers' coaches think Hood needs a year or two to develop. But if one or both of your aging DE's gets hurt, wouldn't he be expected to contribute now? If not, you'd be in the same position as you were in '07, when Aaron Smith got hurt & your run defense went into the crapper.
Something tells me that this won't be a redshirt year for Hood. And I'm not sure you'll be pleased with what he's able to give you guys, at least right away.
Timmons was drafted because of his freakish athletic ability and what Pittsburgh believed to be position flexibility which seems to be a staple of the Tomlin era thus far. Once again based on what I've read since he was drafted. If he were drafted to start at OLB he would have had to beat out at least Woodley who is one hell of a OLB. If you ask me he wasn't drafted to play only OLB but has the ability to play outside backer. (You are correct it's definitely his more suited position) He's now obviously going to play inside and I'm sure the Steelers drafted him to contribute but start?
It would all weigh on whether he could beat out Woodley and because of his injury he didn't. The same could be said for Mendenhall but he much like Timmons couldn't have been expected to start or contribute a great deal immediately because neither play were drafted to start immediately but rather be groomed for a position. As far as the Smith injury is concerned it hurt more than it maybe should have because Kiesel was also banged up at the time. I'm confident in Eason and Kirschke (sp) to step in and contribute in a rotation with Hood if something were to happen with either Smith or Keisel. They had a DE rotation quite a bit last season.
EDIT: The article I'm trying to dig up is a Q&A post draft with Colbert and Arians where they state their war room board to a degree.
-
Zombo said:
Just a-tossin' and a-turnin', Bud.
We envy you soooooo much.
Zombo
--I even had some teeth removed, gained 80 pounds eating kielbasa and possum, and moved into your mom's trailer park for full effect.
Me too, but I also started drinking Iron City, rolling my own and banging fat......? women I'd guess you call them.
Teeth are overrated, when you can save up enough for dentures it's like a status symbol.
Me too, but I also started drinking Iron City, rolling my own and banging fat......? women I'd guess you call them.
Teeth are overrated, when you can save up enough for dentures it's like a status symbol.
Is there a term for trolling a board that considers your side the majority? I'm all for rivalry, but it doesn't have to resort to jr high insults to maintain it. Just honest competition and a passion for the other guy eating some well earned crow.
-
Aloysius said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Timmons was expected to contribute immediately, but a nagging groin injury & Harrison's emergence prevented it from happening. Definitely don't think the Steelers drafted him with the plans of playing him at ILB - IIRC, he spent his rookie camp working almost exclusively outside.And it could be that the Steelers' coaches think Hood needs a year or two to develop. But if one or both of your aging DE's gets hurt, wouldn't he be expected to contribute now? If not, you'd be in the same position as you were in '07, when Aaron Smith got hurt & your run defense went into the crapper.
Something tells me that this won't be a redshirt year for Hood. And I'm not sure you'll be pleased with what he's able to give you guys, at least right away.
Timmons was drafted because of his freakish athletic ability and what Pittsburgh believed to be position flexibility which seems to be a staple of the Tomlin era thus far. Once again based on what I've read since he was drafted. If he were drafted to start at OLB he would have had to beat out at least Woodley who is one hell of a OLB. If you ask me he wasn't drafted to play only OLB but has the ability to play outside backer. (You are correct it's definitely his more suited position) He's now obviously going to play inside and I'm sure the Steelers drafted him to contribute but start?
It would all weigh on whether he could beat out Woodley and because of his injury he didn't. The same could be said for Mendenhall but he much like Timmons couldn't have been expected to start or contribute a great deal immediately because neither play were drafted to start immediately but rather be groomed for a position. As far as the Smith injury is concerned it hurt more than it maybe should have because Kiesel was also banged up at the time. I'm confident in Eason and Kirschke (sp) to step in and contribute in a rotation with Hood if something were to happen with either Smith or Keisel. They had a DE rotation quite a bit last season.
EDIT: The article I'm trying to dig up is a Q&A post draft with Colbert and Arians where they state their war room board to a degree.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login