Skip to content

Camp My Homies

The Browns Board
32 16 1.5k
  • Anyone that says Manziel didn't have an NFL arm is crazy. His arm was plenty strong, and just about all of use problems reside between the ears. The truly said thing about Manziel was that he appeared to be getting just a little comfortable towards the end of his playing days. He was moving the ball, hitting receivers, and not putting himself in jeopardy. I'm not saying he was "terrific" or anything, but he was making legit progress. If that progress were to continue into the next year, there's really no telling where he could've ended up on the talent spectrum. Laugh all you want, but I think he was starting to get it on the field. As we all know, that's never enough. Although he did show improvement, he didn't score enough touchdowns. He couldn't convert when we needed it, and he obviously couldn't control his self-destructive behavior. As I've said before, the extremely sad aspect to Manziel was that Hue Jackson would've been great for his QB development. Manziel does a lot of what Hue likes on the field. He attacks the middle, can throw off the run, isn't afraid to run a read-option, and can throw it deep. He would've been excellent in Hue's offense, and that's just another tragedy in a long line of other ones we don't need to talk about.

    Mahomes doesn't just have an "OK arm", he actually has a pretty LIVE arm. He isn't without a myriad of issues, but I don't think arm strength is one of them. I wouldn't be upset if Browns took this kid (sometime AFTER #1 of course), but if we do select him, we better have another veteran coming in because he doesn't appear to be CLOSE to being NFL starter ready, and he's basically indicated as much. Mahomes recently stated that he's ready to be coached, and knows he has things to work on. From what I've read, he's solid gold off the field, and he's not going to have any skeletons. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Mahomes quickly becomes the darling of the draft, much as Wentz was last year.

    Edit: The more I think about it, the more I'd be comfortable with drafting Mahomes and naming Kessler as the starter. Kessler had some decent moments last year, and if the guy had a kicker and a damn defense, I think he would've won a couple more games. How will Kessler look with an entire NFL offseason under his belt? A year in the weight room and throwing the rock? An offseason named our starter which enables him to take all the minicamp and OTA reps? Start Kessler out of the gates, work with Mahomes, and also see how Hogan develops? I wouldn't hate it one bit. It's a risk, but why not? Maybe cut Hogan and just keep RG III? He's cheap enough. I dunno...just thinking out loud.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Edit: The more I think about it, the more I'd be comfortable with drafting Mahomes and naming Kessler as the starter. Kessler had some decent moments last year, and if the guy had a kicker and a damn defense, I think he would've won a couple more games. How will Kessler look with an entire NFL offseason under his belt? A year in the weight room and throwing the rock? An offseason named our starter which enables him to take all the minicamp and OTA reps? Start Kessler out of the gates, work with Mahomes, and also see how Hogan develops? I wouldn't hate it one bit. It's a risk, but why not? Maybe cut Hogan and just keep RG III? He's cheap enough. I dunno...just thinking out loud.

    No sense keeping Griffin around as a backup. He's either our bridge starter, or he's gone. My bet is gone- regardless.

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    Edit: The more I think about it, the more I'd be comfortable with drafting Mahomes and naming Kessler as the starter. Kessler had some decent moments last year, and if the guy had a kicker and a damn defense, I think he would've won a couple more games. How will Kessler look with an entire NFL offseason under his belt? A year in the weight room and throwing the rock? An offseason named our starter which enables him to take all the minicamp and OTA reps? Start Kessler out of the gates, work with Mahomes, and also see how Hogan develops? I wouldn't hate it one bit. It's a risk, but why not? Maybe cut Hogan and just keep RG III? He's cheap enough. I dunno...just thinking out loud.

    No sense keeping Griffin around as a backup. He's either our bridge starter, or he's gone. My bet is gone- regardless.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @hoorta said:

    No sense keeping Griffin around as a backup. He's either our bridge starter, or he's gone. My bet is gone- regardless.

    I think he's either out and out starter and we don't draft a guy, or he's gone. We need someone to not fuck us up in games and let the team grow, that's Kessler for a year.

  • @hoorta said:

    No sense keeping Griffin around as a backup. He's either our bridge starter, or he's gone. My bet is gone- regardless.

    I think he's either out and out starter and we don't draft a guy, or he's gone. We need someone to not fuck us up in games and let the team grow, that's Kessler for a year.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @gftchris said:

    I think he's either out and out starter and we don't draft a guy, or he's gone. We need someone to not fuck us up in games and let the team grow, that's Kessler for a year.

    They WILL draft a QB. Whether that is at the top...or somewhere down the line, they will pick up somebody.

  • cambridgehoC cambridgeho wrote on last edited by cambridgeho
    #24

    Seen the Gruden camp video of him yesterday. The kid comes accross really confident and cocky altogether. He is a project for sure, but has a very nice arm. We will see.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #25

    Allbright chimes in on the best QB prospect in the draft...

    Benjamin Allbright‏Verified account @AllbrightNFL

    Pat Mahomes, and it's not particularly close for me, either.

    https://twitter.com/allbrightnfl/status/845678463830966272

  • Allbright chimes in on the best QB prospect in the draft...

    Benjamin Allbright‏Verified account @AllbrightNFL

    Pat Mahomes, and it's not particularly close for me, either.

    https://twitter.com/allbrightnfl/status/845678463830966272

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #26

    @tour2ma said:

    Allbright chimes in on the best QB prospect in the draft...

    Benjamin Allbright‏Verified account @AllbrightNFL

    Pat Mahomes, and it's not particularly close for me, either.

    https://twitter.com/allbrightnfl/status/845678463830966272

    Ya, Tour we heard the same thing about Johnny Football, who's playing style he resembles. "Highest ceiling, lowest floor." I think they way he played in college translates 0% to the pros.

  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #27

    I'd take a chance on him in the third round but no sooner and I doubt he'll last until then.

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #28

    Honestly.....one of my main beefs with last years draft was taking Kessler in the 3rd.....a guy we KNEW wasnt gonna be our future, yet we burned(what I consider to be) a high draft pick on.......(and we cant afford to burn picks)......

    So.....THIS YEAR......please dont burn another 1st - 2nd - 3rd on a back up......we already have a stable full......

  • Honestly.....one of my main beefs with last years draft was taking Kessler in the 3rd.....a guy we KNEW wasnt gonna be our future, yet we burned(what I consider to be) a high draft pick on.......(and we cant afford to burn picks)......

    So.....THIS YEAR......please dont burn another 1st - 2nd - 3rd on a back up......we already have a stable full......

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @mudfly said:

    Honestly.....one of my main beefs with last years draft was taking Kessler in the 3rd.....a guy we KNEW wasnt gonna be our future, yet we burned(what I consider to be) a high draft pick on.......(and we cant afford to burn picks)......

    So.....THIS YEAR......please dont burn another 1st - 2nd - 3rd on a back up......we already have a stable full......

    But we like chainsaw sheds Mud! 😉

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #30

    Pretty sure no team spends a 1-2-3 on a QB they feel is destined to be a backup...

  • Honestly.....one of my main beefs with last years draft was taking Kessler in the 3rd.....a guy we KNEW wasnt gonna be our future, yet we burned(what I consider to be) a high draft pick on.......(and we cant afford to burn picks)......

    So.....THIS YEAR......please dont burn another 1st - 2nd - 3rd on a back up......we already have a stable full......

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by Mudfly
    #31

    @mudfly said:

    So.....THIS YEAR......please dont burn another 1st - 2nd - 3rd on a back up......

    @tour2ma said:

    Pretty sure no team spends a 1-2-3 on a QB they feel is destined to be a backup...

    I get it....and since we are not good at making those choices....

    this year....if we're gonna tap a 5th-7th round project.......lets actually wait till the 4th or later to do it....

    And, if we plan to spend BIG on a starter....lets actually get one......(not a project)(see above)

  • @mudfly said:

    So.....THIS YEAR......please dont burn another 1st - 2nd - 3rd on a back up......

    @tour2ma said:

    Pretty sure no team spends a 1-2-3 on a QB they feel is destined to be a backup...

    I get it....and since we are not good at making those choices....

    this year....if we're gonna tap a 5th-7th round project.......lets actually wait till the 4th or later to do it....

    And, if we plan to spend BIG on a starter....lets actually get one......(not a project)(see above)

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @mudfly said:

    this year....if we're gonna tap a 5th-7th round project.......lets actually wait till the 4th or later to do it....

    lol... agreeamundo...