Skip to content

Are you disappointed and why?

The Browns Board
81 23 2.5k
  • Who the Steelers were taking is irrelevant. We wanted to get back in the first round to have N'joku for five years so found a trading partner, it's nothing to do with who they were going to take.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #81

    @londonbrown said:

    Who the Steelers were taking is irrelevant. We wanted to get back in the first round to have N'joku for five years so found a trading partner, it's nothing to do with who they were going to take.

    I don't think that we know "stealing" Njoku was not part of reason, but I have come around a bit on the 5th year thing.

    Previously I've posted that from a contract standpoint that 5th-year is pretty useless since once a team decides to exercise its option, then a contract extension that modifies the 5th-year's salary is semi-automatic, but ...

    If you ID a prospect to target around the R1/2 cusp that is very raw, but has a tremendous ceiling, the move up makes more sense to me. That very raw start might delay value realization by a full year or more. In a case like this, you can exercise the relatively cheap 5th year and add an extension to it. I don't think this is as common as increasing the year-5 compensation in the extension, but it's a value balancer as well as a cap-friendly route.