Skip to content

The Marketing Face of the Franchise

The Browns Board
24 13 1.8k
  • surprised there's no durability concerns....2.5 games?

    oh wait, thats the OL lines fault.....gottcha.

    @choco said:

    surprised there's no durability concerns....2.5 games?

    oh wait, thats the OL lines fault.....gottcha.

    I don't think there is a general durability concern. Quinn didn't lose a lot of time in college to injuries. It isn't like the concerns surrounding say, Beanie Wells, who had constant problems in college. And injury can happen to anyone. Here Quinn busted a finger on a helmet making a throw. That has happened to many a QB. Including if I am not mistaken to Bernie Kosar

  • @ballpeen said:

    The strange thing with marketing is you usually don't pick the face. The face is earned.

    At this point, we don't have that face.

    I agree that he SHOULD earn it, but in the face of desperation by a franchise often the mantle of the face of a franchise is thrust upon someone long before they have actually accomplished anything. This is often the case with QBs drafted in the first round. It happened here to Tim Couch. Jamarcus Russell is another example. And many others.

    @the-gipper said:

    I agree that he SHOULD earn it, but in the face of desperation by a franchise often the mantle of the face of a franchise is thrust upon someone long before they have actually accomplished anything. This is often the case with QBs drafted in the first round. It happened here to Tim Couch. Jamarcus Russell is another example. And many others.

    No disagreement. I think BQ had that, but has lost it since.....you don't see the flood of BQ commercials like you did a year or more ago.

    Doesn't mean he can't get it back.

  • @hammertime said:

    There should be an emoticion(sp) to symbolize beating a dead horse.

    People need to realize there is no prize for jacking up your post count with this lame, gone over, qb situatiuon.

    Let it play out. How many more posts could possibly be made concerning DA-BQ?

    Hell lets dig up some RAC threads and beat him down some more.

    I don't know if you were talking to me, but I believe I had a fresh take on the subject in regard to the "face of the franchise for marketing purposes" issue. I felt this is/was an important factor wherein the Browns were contemplating making a trade of one of their QBs. If they trade Quinn whose freeking jersey are they gonna sell to the public? And despite one posters support for the guy, it ain't going to be Ryan Pontbriand (even though he really is a valuable member of this team)

    @the-gipper said:

    I don't know if you were talking to me, but I believe I had a fresh take on the subject in regard to the "face of the franchise for marketing purposes" issue.

    Hey Gip, I don't think they were talking to you. I think they were referring to the BQ/DA debate theat keeps sprouting up like mushrooms everywhere.

    You bring up a good point I think, which of our jerseys are we gonna feature in the NFL catalog and all that. Do we have a name to throw in the with the "LTs" and "Mannings" for recognition at that league level?

    I think your point has merit if only because I have never seen so much marketing and so many endorsements for someone (BQ) who has mostly ridden the pine to date. Of course I do agree we others that BQ must prove it to earn it but he certainly already has a leg up.

  • @drunkandstoopid said:

    The fact that Quinn ISN'T currently the "marketing face" of the franchise might say something. He's got the looks, the fans and the popularity, now all's he's got to do is manage to outplay the 32nd rated QB that the fans seem to hate... lots of work ahead of him.

    Well, as we all know, BQ was kept out of action his rookie season on purpose, and when DA did so well in 2007 he had to be the QB starting out 2008. But when he cacked, they finally put BQ in there. But he only played, what? 2 1/2 games before getting injured? Yes, BQ has to prove he can be the man, the QB on this team. I expect him to do so, and would obviously be highly disappointed if he didn't.

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, as we all know, BQ was kept out of action his rookie season on purpose, and when DA did so well in 2007 he had to be the QB starting out 2008. But when he cacked, they finally put BQ in there. But he only played, what? 2 1/2 games before getting injured? Yes, BQ has to prove he can be the man, the QB on this team. I expect him to do so, and would obviously be highly disappointed if he didn't.

    I agree no qb should get a free ticket to start BQ included and DA should have had to compete last year to start but they chose to sit bq out yet again in favor of a 6th round pick with a bazooka for an arm and mush for a brain..I anticipate bq will blow DA on out the door..it will be more to do with the type of system gameplan execution and offensive leadership then DAs actual skills..

    But lets talk real marketing disaster...what if DA won the competition and gets the start?

    And then becomes his usual self and causes the club to lose...its unthinkable what the ramifications for lerner and mancock would be....😉