Skip to content

Two Tight End System?

The Browns Board
42 21 1.2k
  • @orion said:

    He played in 12 games but only registered stats in 8 games. One catch per game, except against the Giants he had 3 for 39 yards.

    DeValve doesn't have to share snaps with Barnidge any more.....but they drafted a TE in round 1.

    Kessler and DeValve have seen the Browns spend high draft picks to take the starting jobs.

    With Hawkins gone, are we positive we won't be seeing DeValve in the slot at all this year?

    Back when we drafted DeValve, he was listed as a WR by Pro Football Weekly and as a WR/TE by the Browns. Now I could be wrong here and the Browns could be sizing him up for a big role blocking people (ie; he gained 10 lbs & he's now listed only as a TE); but I'm thinking he'd would be a really nice size advantage over all the #3 corners we haven't had.

    Would this suck?

    TE - Njoku, Slot Rec - DeValve, WR - Britt, WR - Coleman

    If not, we'll be prolly be using a lot of 2 TE sets with Njoku and DeValve anyway.

    @flugel said:

    With Hawkins gone, are we positive we won't be seeing DeValve in the slot at all this year?

    I see the slot being a position for really 'quick' guys. Not so much for TE's. Which is what we drafted him for...knowing that he doesn't have NFL H-back quickness.

  • @flugel said:

    With Hawkins gone, are we positive we won't be seeing DeValve in the slot at all this year?

    I see the slot being a position for really 'quick' guys. Not so much for TE's. Which is what we drafted him for...knowing that he doesn't have NFL H-back quickness.

    @orion said:

    I see the slot being a position for really 'quick' guys. Not so much for TE's. Which is what we drafted him for...knowing that he doesn't have NFL H-back quickness.

    Frank Wycheck made Pro Bowls as an NFL H-back so I'm not buying your pov that DeValve doesn't have H-back quickness. I also don't think they were trying to draft the next Mark Bavaro when DeValve is only 6'3" so I shared the article about what DeValve played at Princeton. FWIW, Anquan Boldin was never really quick as he was precise and his 40 times that put him into round 2 (instead of round 1) are indicative of that. And the 6'2" Mohamed Sanu that Hue used in the slot in Cincy in 2015 when they went 12-4 wasn't a lightning quick little guy either. He was more of a bigger receiver Hue wanted isolated on a stereotypical sized 3rd corner ranging anywhere from 5'9" to 5'11" in hopes of an advantage worth tapping. I'm thinking Hue sees more of this role for DeValve as well as any double tight work he can as well.

    Your point I disagreed with most was when you said we drafted Njoku in the first round because the Browns were disappointed in DeValve. I clarified Barnidge was the guy who got his walking papers while I think the Browns see DeValve as a versatile guy they can line up inside or outside, on or off the line of scrimmage.

    I think I explained everything about DeValve (using his own words) in the part of the article I shared. Here's a cut and paste of that and I'm bolding the part shaping my pov today. Here's part of an article titled "Browns coveted Princeton TE Seth DeValve for his mismatch potential" from Andrew Gribble I found on him in www.clevelandbrowns.com: as DeValve described it, he was an "H-back adjuster" who moved all across the field like a chess piece. On some plays he'd line up wide, on some he'd be in the slot and some he'd have his hand in the dirt like a traditional TE. "I was doing TE in various amounts depending on the year," DeValve said. "I was always used as a hybrid TE/WR so to say I'm making a transition from WR to TE isn't extremely accurate."