Skip to content

New season: Let's rock this thang!

The Browns Board
22 10 647
  • @cambridgeho said:

    The other thing is that Hue doesnt have control over this team, he asks for what he needs and they say hold up, there may be a better deal on the line. Im giving Hue 3 years to get something done.

    Camo, I applaud your 1st thought & hope many here soak that in..But Hue can't stand on the other side of it thinking he would last 3 years? or can he Haslem?

    @gumby73 said:

    Camo, I applaud your 1st thought & hope many here soak that in..But Hue can't stand on the other side of it thinking he would last 3 years? or can he Haslem?

    I think Hue knows he has 3 years to get the ship righted. Meaning the 4th year we should be a projected top 10 team. Sitting atop the North with big ben retired by then.

  • @mr.-make-believe said:

    Hopefully we see progress. I still think it will be difficult without playmakers on the team for us to expect a GOOD season. But I'd like the Browns be a lot more difficult to play against. There are so many players who I am excited to watch play this year.

    At the risk of derailing the positivity of this thread, what would it take for you to want to see Jackson replaced?

    I wanted Jackson replaced after game 2 of preseason last year. He is a dead man walking as we speak. He has so many areas to clean up, I honestly don't see how he can. Discipline, lack of playmakers, no QB, poor clock management and coaching decisions. How does he overcome all that? Honestly? How does a leopard change his spots? He exhibited the same flaws in Oakland. That's why he got shit-canned.

    I want these guys to win, but looking at this realistically, tell me how can we put two and two together and get 4? Every optimistic thread I read is based on "this guy is gonna step up this year...............the D will step up and be aggressive.......... the O will attack this year.....................this kid is going to play way above his draft position.............I call it, " you can see it in their eyes" optimism.

    Jackson has a QB controversy before he even starts. Whoever he starts, if the guy doesn't do well and he switches, Haslam is going to view him as an incompetent buffoon. And what if Ass Oiler plays well enough to deliver a 4 - 12 season? That means Kizer will probably sit, and the 2018 draft will be a QB nightmare again.

    All these 2016 problems that fans believe will change, are just as likely to get worse as they are better. I hope I am wrong. I hope Kizer delivers a wallop. If he doesn't, there is nothing remarkable about this team.

    @ghoolie said:

    I wanted Jackson replaced after game 2 of preseason last year. He is a dead man walking as we speak. He has so many areas to clean up, I honestly don't see how he can. Discipline, lack of playmakers, no QB, poor clock management and coaching decisions. How does he overcome all that? Honestly? How does a leopard change his spots? He exhibited the same flaws in Oakland. That's why he got shit-canned.

    I've seen what fans thought of Bill Parcells when he took over a dumpster fire in NY. I've also seen what fans thought of Jimmy Johnson when he went 1-15 as an NFL rookie Head Coach.

    While I understand/share many of your frustrations, when it comes to where to place all of that requires an understanding of the difference between a Head Coach and a miracle worker. You're always really quick to defend Chuck Noll and Terry Bradshaw; but their beginnings didn't look any different than what you described about last year here. After they got a few incredible drafts behind them, that became a much easier team to coach and QB right? The same held true for the 2 Head Coaches (Parcells & Johnson) I spoke of above.

    The franchise that hired Hue was 3-18 (in its last 21 games prior to house cleaning). Yes Ghoolie, a lot of those inevitable symptoms you mentioned unfolded in a disappointing 1-15 season during Hue's first year here. That said, when Hue had a lot of talented play makers in Cincy - they went 12-4 his last year there as an OC. How many times in the last 40 years has this franchise won as many as 12 regular season games? After Hue left, Cincy dropped to 6-9-1. That tells me if you give Hue more than pawns to play gridiron chess with - he can look pretty smart in the chess match.

    Most coaches need talent and that franchise QB you bring up. Let's hope this FO gets him those essentials to winning. Like our sequel here has shown us, if you don't have the right Jimmies and Joes all you're gonna get are X's and Uh-O's. My guess is season #2 will tell us a lot more about where Hue can take us than preseason game #2 of last year. We shall see...