Skip to content

Calfox's dismal midseason mock draft special

The Browns Board
24 11 553
  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Rosen can be an accurate passer who is willing to make tough throws into tight windows. He is able to throw receivers open with well-placed passes and shows the ability to be a rhythm passer. Rosen flashes good timing and anticipation, especially when he has I don't see perfection in Allen, btw, but I see a whole LOT of future star NFL qb that I saw in Wentz. I'm just contrary - I don't go bythe ratings - I like to think I know my own criteria for who I'd draft....for the fun of it. Rosen can look like a star in highlights, sure.

    I don't care how his highlights are great, how he does at the combine: he is off my list.

    I've already said plenty of times, I would NOT draft Rosen at any pick....or Darnold with that high first round pick.

    however, it isn't just me:

    http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018jrosen.php

    a clean pocket. In terms of field vision, Rosen will work off his primary read, but he definitely needs to improve his vision for the NFL. UCLA has called a lot of primary-option quick-pass plays, so Rosen could use more reps taking deep drops and working through reads.

    Like all college players, there are things that Rosen can improve on. For one, he could stand to get better with the consistency of his accuracy. There are times when Rosen gets into stretches where his accuracy is off and he can miss some throws he should complete. Rosen needs to get faster and speed up the process to scan through his progressions, too. In the pros, he is going to need to move his eyes more and not lock onto his primary read or one of the side of the field so much. The junior also needs to stay healthy in 2017 to avoid having serious durability concerns about him for the NFL.

    One of the big problems for Rosen entering his junior year is that he has developed a reputation for having poor intangibles as a bad teammate and leader. Football is an emotional game, and NFL teams want their quarterbacks to be positive team leaders. Whether it is a vocal leader or a quiet lead-by-example type, NFL evaluators and coaches want the quarterback to be a player who teammates gravitate toward with the ability to lead his team in crunch time. Rosen is said to be disliked in the Bruins' locker room, and it sounds like he needs a personality make-over. A scout who has done advance work on the 2018 NFL Draft had this to say about Rosen:

    1. "Right now I have them rated [Sam] Darnold, [Josh] Allen, [Lamar] Jackson, and then Rosen....Rosen has huge talent and lacks intangibles. He is a prototypical pocket guy. I love his talent, but his own teammates don't like him. Being a prick is one thing, but there aren't many quarterbacks who stick around long-term and are successful that couldn't get along well with their teammates."

    Read more at http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018jrosen.php#kRthxthp1F6ZxfdQ.99
  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Darnold, btw, is said to probably staying at USC one more year, anyways. It's true Allen has had a few tough outings...

    but Darnold and Rosen have quality cast of players around them. and USC just got hammered by Notre Dame...

    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/usc-qb-sam-darnold-enter-nfl-draft-year-report-article-1.3583139

    OTH, he is leaning towards coming out into the NFL draft, too. LOL

    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/usc-qb-sam-darnold-enter-nfl-draft-year-report-article-1.3583139

    I don't dislike Darnold, though. I dislike Rosen. Darnold is okay - not my first choice though. gotta go do a little work

    at the flip house. "sigh"

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Ah... so it's not POLITIcal with Rosen... Got it... 😉

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #24

    I think now, with all I have heard here....that I may want Rosen.     I think I might like a guy that get prickly with his teammates.....especially if that means he is getting into their shite about their performances.

    Maybe his teammates complained about him because he bitched that he didn't think that he would have to score 45-50 points every game just to win by 3 points.   Or maybe he didn't like the fact that his OL is blocking like Matadors ...playing "Ole".  

    Or maybe he is just an arrogant butt.   He may be...and maybe the Browns could use a guy like that...honestly. 

    I would want to focus, however, on what he CAN do....not on whether or not his teammates like him.    I mean, yes, I don't really want a Jeff George, Jay Cutler like guy; but, we don't really know if he is that sort...now do we.   

    Is he the best QB that may be available to the Browns?  And does he have the physical and mental skills to potentially be a franchise QB.  That is all we (meaning the Browns FO) has to decide.  I don't know that answer yet.    But I don't see where any other QB in this class has any better potential.

    Besides....the last time a Cleveland team had a Rosen....it turned out pretty good:  

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Rosen