Skip to content

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

The Browns Board
3.1k 65 181.6k 2
  • @calfoxwc said:

    So, the Wife and I were watching this cooking show... a place in Tennessee...

    and they store their sides of beef in dry storage for about 6 weeks. They get mold on em, but they cut the mold off,

    and all the really nice meat is outstanding. A place called "Walnut Kitchen" in Marysville. I'm not thinkin to try that at home...but...

    we may travel through Marysville to check it out....

    You can dry age beef at home now very safely using umai bags. Really increases the beefy flavor and tenderness. https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjxut2BofXlAhWjHH0KHTIMDv8YABAIGgJwdg&sig=AOD64_0VKbPAAhdB_sy68V4z4SMG_Hl_WA&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiFydaBofXlAhV1JzQIHUkSDkEQwg96BAgKEAc&adurl=

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta

    @jcam222 said:

    You can dry age beef at home now very safely using umai bags. Really increases the beefy flavor and tenderness. https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjxut2BofXlAhWjHH0KHTIMDv8YABAIGgJwdg&sig=AOD64_0VKbPAAhdB_sy68V4z4SMG_Hl_WA&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiFydaBofXlAhV1JzQIHUkSDkEQwg96BAgKEAc&adurl=

    But regarding aged beef- there is a point of diminishing returns. My friends make an annual trip up to Wisconsin to a butcher who will dry age beef to whatever length of time they specify- assuming they're willing to buy whatever they asked for. MHO is it does get to a point you may as well leave a chunk of steak out on the counter for a day or three and then grill it- if that's what you're into.  😁  

    BTW, one day I hope to make it to NYC to take in Peter Luger's- the Mecca of steakdom. Have their own ageing cellar. Though as usual, one NYC Times restaurant critic panned them recently. Par for the course in NY media. I do suppose if you're shelling out $130+ p\p you should expect perfection every time, but in the real world, that's not obtainable. If I wanted to review on that level, I could have easily nit-picked on the Maisonette- the only Mobile 5 Star place in Ohio and one of the 15 or so in the United States before they closed up shop for good.....   

    And PS- if you ever want a great steak and bottle of wine.....  never pass up the opportunity to get to Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa. Bern died a few years back, but his son carries on the tradition. Fanatic about the steaks- and for us winos- they also have the biggest wine list in the world- and it's not even debatable. The Wine List looks like a telephone book, with around 150+ wines by the glass for starters.....  

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    Great steaks and wine or your favorite beer or spirits......oh yeah.  Steakhouse or in the backyard great for any GAMEDAY or anyday meal.

  • Great steaks and wine or your favorite beer or spirits......oh yeah.  Steakhouse or in the backyard great for any GAMEDAY or anyday meal.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta

    @mjp28 said:

    Great steaks and wine or your favorite beer or spirits......oh yeah.  Steakhouse or in the backyard great for any GAMEDAY or anyday meal.

    Believe me guy- I know what a good uncooked chunk of cow looks like on sight. Down here Dayton way - it's only occasionally I see prime beef- and I can't remember ever seeing prime aged beef. 

    And if you'd rather have beer or something else with your steaks- God Bless Ya. But to my mind nothing tops off a great steak with a great bottle of red wine.... 

    I'm not averse to firing up the Weber out back regardless of the temperature and tossing a steak on it. And let's just say in case of a nuclear disaster I have enough wine in the basement to last a normal lifetime.  🙂  

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by

    I love a great steak. But it has to go with beer for me

    I’ve tried many wines from $5 a bottle to $200 a bottle. It all tastes like crap. IMO

    I worked for a company that distributes wine and I tried many of them. Just couldn’t do it. 

  • I love a great steak. But it has to go with beer for me

    I’ve tried many wines from $5 a bottle to $200 a bottle. It all tastes like crap. IMO

    I worked for a company that distributes wine and I tried many of them. Just couldn’t do it. 

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @browns149 said:

    I love a great steak. But it has to go with beer for me

    I’ve tried many wines from $5 a bottle to $200 a bottle. It all tastes like crap. IMO

    I worked for a company that distributes wine and I tried many of them. Just couldn’t do it. 

    You either have a discriminating taste for fine wine or you don't. I do but my wife is just as happy with a sweet Moscato from Italy. She can't tell the difference between a Bordeaux, a Zinfandel or a Cabernet. That being said it is not necessary to spend $200 on one bottle when I can find 5 perfectly good Napa Cabernets for the same $200.

  • @mjp28 said:

    Great steaks and wine or your favorite beer or spirits......oh yeah.  Steakhouse or in the backyard great for any GAMEDAY or anyday meal.

    Believe me guy- I know what a good uncooked chunk of cow looks like on sight. Down here Dayton way - it's only occasionally I see prime beef- and I can't remember ever seeing prime aged beef. 

    And if you'd rather have beer or something else with your steaks- God Bless Ya. But to my mind nothing tops off a great steak with a great bottle of red wine.... 

    I'm not averse to firing up the Weber out back regardless of the temperature and tossing a steak on it. And let's just say in case of a nuclear disaster I have enough wine in the basement to last a normal lifetime.  🙂  

    jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by

    @hoorta said:

    Believe me guy- I know what a good uncooked chunk of cow looks like on sight. Down here Dayton way - it's only occasionally I see prime beef- and I can't remember ever seeing prime aged beef. 

    And if you'd rather have beer or something else with your steaks- God Bless Ya. But to my mind nothing tops off a great steak with a great bottle of red wine.... 

    I'm not averse to firing up the Weber out back regardless of the temperature and tossing a steak on it. And let's just say in case of a nuclear disaster I have enough wine in the basement to last a normal lifetime.  🙂  

    Our Sams Club usually has a fair selection of prime beef. Usually ribeyes or strip. 

  • @hoorta said:

    Believe me guy- I know what a good uncooked chunk of cow looks like on sight. Down here Dayton way - it's only occasionally I see prime beef- and I can't remember ever seeing prime aged beef. 

    And if you'd rather have beer or something else with your steaks- God Bless Ya. But to my mind nothing tops off a great steak with a great bottle of red wine.... 

    I'm not averse to firing up the Weber out back regardless of the temperature and tossing a steak on it. And let's just say in case of a nuclear disaster I have enough wine in the basement to last a normal lifetime.  🙂  

    Our Sams Club usually has a fair selection of prime beef. Usually ribeyes or strip. 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @jcam222 said:

    Our Sams Club usually has a fair selection of prime beef. Usually ribeyes or strip. 

    Ah but I'm not a Sam's Club sort of guy. Just checking- you'd have to shop there a lot (make that almost exclusively) to make up for the $45 annual fee. Kroger's gives thier cardholders discounts, plus loyalty coupons For even more. Big family, and buying in bulk- sure. I'm really averse to freezing beef- IMHO, it's just not the same...  

    We have a darn good boutique grocery here- and even they don't get prime beef in on a daily basis... 

  • @hoorta said:

    Believe me guy- I know what a good uncooked chunk of cow looks like on sight. Down here Dayton way - it's only occasionally I see prime beef- and I can't remember ever seeing prime aged beef. 

    And if you'd rather have beer or something else with your steaks- God Bless Ya. But to my mind nothing tops off a great steak with a great bottle of red wine.... 

    I'm not averse to firing up the Weber out back regardless of the temperature and tossing a steak on it. And let's just say in case of a nuclear disaster I have enough wine in the basement to last a normal lifetime.  🙂  

    Our Sams Club usually has a fair selection of prime beef. Usually ribeyes or strip. 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @jcam222 said:

    Our Sams Club usually has a fair selection of prime beef. Usually ribeyes or strip. 

    For me start with a good 1. Ribeye 2. Porterhouse 3. Strip or Delmonico. But any really good cut with good marbling and passes the "eye" test.....and on sale helps.

    Our local Giant Eagle has a good meat department but we have bought from meat stores but there are fewer ones around now. A good butcher is quite helpful.

    My grandmother worked at Sparkle Market meat department many years back for 10 years and taught me what to look for in meat.   And remember this:

    There are eight beef quality grades. The grades are based on two main criteria: the degree of marbling (intramuscular fat) in the beef, and the maturity (estimated age of the animal at slaughter).

    1.  U.S. Prime – Highest in quality and intramuscular fat, limited supply. Currently, about 2.9% of carcasses grade as Prime.[15]
     
    2.  U.S. Choice – High quality, widely available in foodservice industry and retail markets. Choice carcasses are 53.7% of the fed cattle total. The difference between Choice and Prime is largely due to the fat content in the beef. Prime typically has a higher fat content (more and well distributed intramuscular "marbling") than Choice.

    3.  U.S. Select (formerly Good) – lowest grade commonly sold at retail, acceptable quality, but is less juicy and tender due to leanness.

    grades.jpg

  • @jcam222 said:

    Our Sams Club usually has a fair selection of prime beef. Usually ribeyes or strip. 

    For me start with a good 1. Ribeye 2. Porterhouse 3. Strip or Delmonico. But any really good cut with good marbling and passes the "eye" test.....and on sale helps.

    Our local Giant Eagle has a good meat department but we have bought from meat stores but there are fewer ones around now. A good butcher is quite helpful.

    My grandmother worked at Sparkle Market meat department many years back for 10 years and taught me what to look for in meat.   And remember this:

    There are eight beef quality grades. The grades are based on two main criteria: the degree of marbling (intramuscular fat) in the beef, and the maturity (estimated age of the animal at slaughter).

    1.  U.S. Prime – Highest in quality and intramuscular fat, limited supply. Currently, about 2.9% of carcasses grade as Prime.[15]
     
    2.  U.S. Choice – High quality, widely available in foodservice industry and retail markets. Choice carcasses are 53.7% of the fed cattle total. The difference between Choice and Prime is largely due to the fat content in the beef. Prime typically has a higher fat content (more and well distributed intramuscular "marbling") than Choice.

    3.  U.S. Select (formerly Good) – lowest grade commonly sold at retail, acceptable quality, but is less juicy and tender due to leanness.

    grades.jpg

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    3.  U.S. Select (formerly Good) – lowest grade commonly sold at retail, acceptable quality, but is less juicy and tender due to leanness.

    Think Select as the secret word for shoeleather. Tough as nails but it makes for a tasty all day chew with the right Cabernet.?️‍♂️???

  • @mjp28 said:

    3.  U.S. Select (formerly Good) – lowest grade commonly sold at retail, acceptable quality, but is less juicy and tender due to leanness.

    Think Select as the secret word for shoeleather. Tough as nails but it makes for a tasty all day chew with the right Cabernet.?️‍♂️???

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @texasag1969 said:

    Think Select as the secret word for shoeleather. Tough as nails but it makes for a tasty all day chew with the right Cabernet.?️‍♂️???

    If you want "family style" big meals cheap and want to pressure cook, bake or other preparations to save money they can be done.

    I remember my mom "tenderizing" or pounding steaks and roasts, putting meat powders or seasonings on them and pressure cooking them and some made really good roasts with the fundamental three ingredients potatoes, onions, carrots.  And also we're were feeding 8 at our table every supper meal.

    Now on the grill.....well budget meats can be a challenge.  Again tenderizing, seasonings, salt, pepper plus there's always chicken.  😉

    .......oh God I just remembered about 50 years ago she used Adolph's Meat Tenderizer!  Oh and mom passed away this year at 89. Memories.

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969

    @dutch-oven said:

    A lot of times the local meat shops will be cheaper than chains like Giant Eagle too. A few years ago I wanted to get strip steaks for a family cook out and went down to the local meat shop in town - Canal Provisions - and told them I wanted like 10 strips steaks. They told me if I took all the strips from a cow they would give me a good price, ended up getting 13 or 14 strip steaks for under $100, and people raved about how tender they were. 

    When we lived in Greeley, Colo. which smells like all the stockyards around it, we used to go about a block to a local butcher who sold excellent hindquarters that he himself had selected. It gave good steaks, roast, hamburger, etc. that we put in the freezer and lasted for months. Finest meat we ever had for cooking out on the back porch. We have a good grocer nearby where I will occasional open the checkbook for a fine Prime ribeye or Porterhouse. Has to be a really special occasion though.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Think Select as the secret word for shoeleather. Tough as nails but it makes for a tasty all day chew with the right Cabernet.?️‍♂️???

    If you want "family style" big meals cheap and want to pressure cook, bake or other preparations to save money they can be done.

    I remember my mom "tenderizing" or pounding steaks and roasts, putting meat powders or seasonings on them and pressure cooking them and some made really good roasts with the fundamental three ingredients potatoes, onions, carrots.  And also we're were feeding 8 at our table every supper meal.

    Now on the grill.....well budget meats can be a challenge.  Again tenderizing, seasonings, salt, pepper plus there's always chicken.  😉

    .......oh God I just remembered about 50 years ago she used Adolph's Meat Tenderizer!  Oh and mom passed away this year at 89. Memories.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

     Again tenderizing, seasonings, salt, pepper plus there's always chicken.  😉

    Or a 24 lb. Honeysuckle White turkey like my wife picked up yesterday @ 78 cents a lb. When you have an army to feed for Xmas or T-day, nothin' better.?

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    And on the what's on the grill or better yet what's in the oven category:

    THURSDAY NOVEMBER 21, 2019,. I'm getting everything ready here to blow out of this culinary wasteland real soon scheduled for Wednesday November 27 one day before Thanksgiving Day.

    WORST food I've ever had anywhere and I have been in 5 different hospitals and now this is 6 different rehab places.

    Details to follow -but- in my mind I am already gone.....baby!   😆.  (see the barber shop thread)

    ........but my wife brings me supper every night now, tonight turkey pot pie on our 38th anniversary.   🙂

  • And on the what's on the grill or better yet what's in the oven category:

    THURSDAY NOVEMBER 21, 2019,. I'm getting everything ready here to blow out of this culinary wasteland real soon scheduled for Wednesday November 27 one day before Thanksgiving Day.

    WORST food I've ever had anywhere and I have been in 5 different hospitals and now this is 6 different rehab places.

    Details to follow -but- in my mind I am already gone.....baby!   😆.  (see the barber shop thread)

    ........but my wife brings me supper every night now, tonight turkey pot pie on our 38th anniversary.   🙂

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    ........but my wife brings me supper every night now, tonight turkey pot pie on our 38th anniversary.   🙂

    Congratulations. My wife and I along with 18 close relatives are celebrating our 50th during Thanksgiving week in Disneyworld/Universal. The actual anniversary is in Feb. 2020, but this was the only time we could get so many together all at one time.?‍❤️‍?‍?

  • @browns149 said:

    I love a great steak. But it has to go with beer for me

    I’ve tried many wines from $5 a bottle to $200 a bottle. It all tastes like crap. IMO

    I worked for a company that distributes wine and I tried many of them. Just couldn’t do it. 

    You either have a discriminating taste for fine wine or you don't. I do but my wife is just as happy with a sweet Moscato from Italy. She can't tell the difference between a Bordeaux, a Zinfandel or a Cabernet. That being said it is not necessary to spend $200 on one bottle when I can find 5 perfectly good Napa Cabernets for the same $200.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta

    @texasag1969 said:

    You either have a discriminating taste for fine wine or you don't. I do but my wife is just as happy with a sweet Moscato from Italy. She can't tell the difference between a Bordeaux, a Zinfandel or a Cabernet. That being said it is not necessary to spend $200 on one bottle when I can find 5 perfectly good Napa Cabernets for the same $200.

    Yeah exactly. My good friend (he's a retired neurologist) & his wife certainly have the money to buy what I consider "upscale" wines- those costing $20 or more a bottle. But they're very happy to drink that 3 liter wine in a box stuff.  Of course Don will very happily swill anything I happen to bring up to Cleveland. 

    The logarithmic law of diminishing returns kicks in the more expensive a wine gets.  So to those who can't usually tell the difference, why pay more?  FWIW, I've been fortunate enough in my lifetime to have been able to partake of wines (almost always on someone else's nickel) that had a retail or auction value of four figures- and trust me, they aren't 10X better than bottles that could be had in the $100 range- or even less. In that rarefied atmosphere, you're drinking rarity or prestige. You can only make a wine so perfect (and then usually have to age it for a couple decades). As I used to tell my Wine Class- after all, it's just fermented grape juice.  🙂  

    @mjp28 said:

    For me start with a good 1. Ribeye 2. Porterhouse 3. Strip or Delmonico. But any really good cut with good marbling and passes the "eye" test.....and on sale helps.

    Our local Giant Eagle has a good meat department but we have bought from meat stores but there are fewer ones around now. A good butcher is quite helpful.

    My grandmother worked at Sparkle Market many years back for 10 years and taught me what to look for in meat.   And remember this:

    There are eight beef quality grades. The grades are based on two main criteria: the degree of marbling (intramuscular fat) in the beef, and the maturity (estimated age of the animal at slaughter).

    1.  U.S. Prime – Highest in quality and intramuscular fat, limited supply. Currently, about 2.9% of carcasses grade as Prime.[15]
     
    2.  U.S. Choice – High quality, widely available in foodservice industry and retail markets. Choice carcasses are 53.7% of the fed cattle total. The difference between Choice and Prime is largely due to the fat content in the beef. Prime typically has a higher fat content (more and well distributed intramuscular "marbling") than Choice.

    3.  U.S. Select (formerly Good) – lowest grade commonly sold at retail, acceptable quality, but is less juicy and tender due to leanness.

    grades.jpg

    Hah, you forgot the other five, lower than that. Utility, cutter, canner lowest of the low. Doesn't sound very appetizing. Only suitable for overnight in the crock pot, or dog & cat food. 

    I will say though on a commercial level, the top grades are sub divided, low, middle, top choice. How do I know this? Heard it from Dave Hulme who runs the Pine Club, Dayton's top steakhouse.  Yeah- you can get picky when you're buying over 1,000 pounds of cow a week. Not only grade, amount and type of ageing (dry or wet), you can speck out how much trim (fat) you want on the edges. 

  • @jcam222 said:

    Our Sams Club usually has a fair selection of prime beef. Usually ribeyes or strip. 

    Ah but I'm not a Sam's Club sort of guy. Just checking- you'd have to shop there a lot (make that almost exclusively) to make up for the $45 annual fee. Kroger's gives thier cardholders discounts, plus loyalty coupons For even more. Big family, and buying in bulk- sure. I'm really averse to freezing beef- IMHO, it's just not the same...  

    We have a darn good boutique grocery here- and even they don't get prime beef in on a daily basis... 

    jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by

    @hoorta said:

    Ah but I'm not a Sam's Club sort of guy. Just checking- you'd have to shop there a lot (make that almost exclusively) to make up for the $45 annual fee. Kroger's gives thier cardholders discounts, plus loyalty coupons For even more. Big family, and buying in bulk- sure. I'm really averse to freezing beef- IMHO, it's just not the same...  

    We have a darn good boutique grocery here- and even they don't get prime beef in on a daily basis... 

    Oh I am a Kroger shopper for sure. I’m there every Saturday. Hell our one local Kroger even carries Ohio raised Berkshire pork.  I honestly don’t know if we get our monies worth a Sam’s but I’d do buy a lot of foil pans  and take out type containers of all sizes there. Bulk nuts too. 

  • @hoorta said:

    Ah but I'm not a Sam's Club sort of guy. Just checking- you'd have to shop there a lot (make that almost exclusively) to make up for the $45 annual fee. Kroger's gives thier cardholders discounts, plus loyalty coupons For even more. Big family, and buying in bulk- sure. I'm really averse to freezing beef- IMHO, it's just not the same...  

    We have a darn good boutique grocery here- and even they don't get prime beef in on a daily basis... 

    Oh I am a Kroger shopper for sure. I’m there every Saturday. Hell our one local Kroger even carries Ohio raised Berkshire pork.  I honestly don’t know if we get our monies worth a Sam’s but I’d do buy a lot of foil pans  and take out type containers of all sizes there. Bulk nuts too. 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @jcam222 said:

    Oh I am a Kroger shopper for sure. I’m there every Saturday. Hell our one local Kroger even carries Ohio raised Berkshire pork.  I honestly don’t know if we get our monies worth a Sam’s but I’d do buy a lot of foil pans  and take out type containers of all sizes there. Bulk nuts too. 

    OH YES, it depends largely on the store manager and the head butcher in the stores what they buy, cut and serve to the public.  Places that package junk or have ridiculously low prices I would be wary of.  Stick with the stores or butcher shops that you like.

    Hah, you forgot the other five, lower than that. Utility, cutter, canner lowest of the low. Doesn't sound very appetizing. Only suitable for overnight in the crock pot, or dog & cat food.

    No Larry I just "steer" clear of those unless maybe you are grinding up something good for supper.  😮

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    Oh and what's everyone planning for the MIA at CLE GAMEDAY MEAL this weekend?   Also Penn State at OHIO STATE among others.

  • @jcam222 said:

    Oh I am a Kroger shopper for sure. I’m there every Saturday. Hell our one local Kroger even carries Ohio raised Berkshire pork.  I honestly don’t know if we get our monies worth a Sam’s but I’d do buy a lot of foil pans  and take out type containers of all sizes there. Bulk nuts too. 

    OH YES, it depends largely on the store manager and the head butcher in the stores what they buy, cut and serve to the public.  Places that package junk or have ridiculously low prices I would be wary of.  Stick with the stores or butcher shops that you like.

    Hah, you forgot the other five, lower than that. Utility, cutter, canner lowest of the low. Doesn't sound very appetizing. Only suitable for overnight in the crock pot, or dog & cat food.

    No Larry I just "steer" clear of those unless maybe you are grinding up something good for supper.  😮

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    OH YES, it depends largely on the store manager and the head butcher in the stores what they buy, cut and serve to the public.  Places that package junk or have ridiculously low prices I would be wary of.  Stick with the stores or butcher shops that you like.

    No Larry I just "steer" clear of those unless maybe you are grinding up something good for supper.  😮

    🙂 I  had a bad experience recently  with  some  cubed steak I bought  at a Kroger's.  Even after they had run it through the  tenderizer,  about  1/2 of it was inedible,  unless you  happened to be a  dog. Beyond  chewy. 

    I've  noticed Kroger's and grocery stores  in general stock  the meat  department based on the relative affluence (or not) of the neighborhood.  My po' folks  Kroger's stocks  that ultra high sodium  country ham that  you  don't  see out in the 'burbs. 

    OTOH the Morton's steakhouse beef that's available at Pat O'Bryans nigh on  to Gates Mills would  never  sell almost  anywhere else.  

  • Oh and what's everyone planning for the MIA at CLE GAMEDAY MEAL this weekend?   Also Penn State at OHIO STATE among others.

    jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    Oh and what's everyone planning for the MIA at CLE GAMEDAY MEAL this weekend?   Also Penn State at OHIO STATE among others.

    I will be at the game so the plan is the normal bag of peanuts and large Diet Rite lol