Skip to content

Nice Article/Interview for Baker Mayfield Enthusiasts

The Browns Board
89 22 3.0k 1
  • I hate to get this cluster back on topic, but here's another interesting positive article on Mayfield-

    https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-baker-mayfields-tape-numbers-say-he-should-be-no-1-overall-pick

  • I hate to get this cluster back on topic, but here's another interesting positive article on Mayfield-

    https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-baker-mayfields-tape-numbers-say-he-should-be-no-1-overall-pick

    @clark-w-griswold said:

    I hate to get this cluster back on topic, but here's another interesting positive article on Mayfield-

    https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-baker-mayfields-tape-numbers-say-he-should-be-no-1-overall-pick

    No offense, but I already beat you to it with that link Clark.  🙂   If Mayfield was 2-3" taller, there wouldn't even be any debate....    

  • the tough thing to appraise is, Mayfield had the best offensive line? in all of college football. The film shows him often having

    4-7 seconds to make the great throws he makes. It's just a question - how will he do when he's in the pros, and only has

    2.5-3.5 seconds to make the throw? I don't know. But Mayfield seems like he could hit the ground running in the NFL, not seeing the other top qb's being able to do that.

  • the tough thing to appraise is, Mayfield had the best offensive line? in all of college football. The film shows him often having

    4-7 seconds to make the great throws he makes. It's just a question - how will he do when he's in the pros, and only has

    2.5-3.5 seconds to make the throw? I don't know. But Mayfield seems like he could hit the ground running in the NFL, not seeing the other top qb's being able to do that.

    @calfoxwc said:

    the tough thing to appraise is, Mayfield had the best offensive line? in all of college football. The film shows him often having

    4-7 seconds to make the great throws he makes. It's just a question - how will he do when he's in the pros, and only has

    2.5-3.5 seconds to make the throw? I don't know. But Mayfield seems like he could hit the ground running in the NFL, not seeing the other top qb's being able to do that.

    I think his stats are great when he's pressured, but will that hold up when he's facing quick NFL pressure?  That's another thing I like about Mayfield- he has pretty good pocket presence and is mobile enough to get out of the way of a pass rush. Better in that regard than Josh Rosen, LOL.  A Paul McDonald statue he isn't.  I agree about the Oklahoma OL.  Wouldn't mind the Browns getting Orlando Brown. We may have to at #4 if Joe decides to retire. Him and McGlinchey won't make it to the second round. 

  • @calfoxwc said:

    the tough thing to appraise is, Mayfield had the best offensive line? in all of college football. The film shows him often having

    4-7 seconds to make the great throws he makes. It's just a question - how will he do when he's in the pros, and only has

    2.5-3.5 seconds to make the throw? I don't know. But Mayfield seems like he could hit the ground running in the NFL, not seeing the other top qb's being able to do that.

    I think his stats are great when he's pressured, but will that hold up when he's facing quick NFL pressure?  That's another thing I like about Mayfield- he has pretty good pocket presence and is mobile enough to get out of the way of a pass rush. Better in that regard than Josh Rosen, LOL.  A Paul McDonald statue he isn't.  I agree about the Oklahoma OL.  Wouldn't mind the Browns getting Orlando Brown. We may have to at #4 if Joe decides to retire. Him and McGlinchey won't make it to the second round. 

    @hoorta said:

    I think his stats are great when he's pressured, but will that hold up when he's facing quick NFL pressure?  That's another thing I like about Mayfield- he has pretty good pocket presence and is mobile enough to get out of the way of a pass rush. Better in that regard than Josh Rosen, LOL.  A Paul McDonald statue he isn't.  I agree about the Oklahoma OL.  Wouldn't mind the Browns getting Orlando Brown. We may have to at #4 if Joe decides to retire. Him and McGlinchey won't make it to the second round. 

      Mayfield must have amazing instincts for the game, to have been a walk-on, twice? That's some serious moxie. Brown may be an overreach for a LT. I think he may have a lack of lateral quick feet to handle speed rushers in the NFL for LT - RT, OG - just my dumb opinion..

  • @hoorta said:

    I think his stats are great when he's pressured, but will that hold up when he's facing quick NFL pressure?  That's another thing I like about Mayfield- he has pretty good pocket presence and is mobile enough to get out of the way of a pass rush. Better in that regard than Josh Rosen, LOL.  A Paul McDonald statue he isn't.  I agree about the Oklahoma OL.  Wouldn't mind the Browns getting Orlando Brown. We may have to at #4 if Joe decides to retire. Him and McGlinchey won't make it to the second round. 

      Mayfield must have amazing instincts for the game, to have been a walk-on, twice? That's some serious moxie. Brown may be an overreach for a LT. I think he may have a lack of lateral quick feet to handle speed rushers in the NFL for LT - RT, OG - just my dumb opinion..

    @calfoxwc said:

      Mayfield must have amazing instincts for the game, to have been a walk-on, twice? That's some serious moxie. Brown may be an overreach for a LT. I think he may have a lack of lateral quick feet to handle speed rushers in the NFL for LT - RT, OG - just my dumb opinion..

    🙂 are you mellowing to a Mayfield scenario Cal?  It's not even Combine time yet. Like I said, I'm not "locked in" yet. April 26th is still 70 days away, a lot can happen in the meantime. I've got my favorites, you have yours. 

  • I have been - it did occur to me that I was wondering about his immaturity, and then I realized that he was a walk-on, and ended up

    winning the Heisman? He has had some dumb immature moments, but overall, he has a ton of maturity and make-up that defy

    any "immature" label. His height could be a concern - except he's taller than Russel Wilson, and at least as tall as Drew Brees, so.

    Going to be amazing to watch it all unfold.

  • I have been - it did occur to me that I was wondering about his immaturity, and then I realized that he was a walk-on, and ended up

    winning the Heisman? He has had some dumb immature moments, but overall, he has a ton of maturity and make-up that defy

    any "immature" label. His height could be a concern - except he's taller than Russel Wilson, and at least as tall as Drew Brees, so.

    Going to be amazing to watch it all unfold.

    @calfoxwc said:

    I have been - it did occur to me that I was wondering about his immaturity, and then I realized that he was a walk-on, and ended up

    winning the Heisman? He has had some dumb immature moments, but overall, he has a ton of maturity and make-up that defy

    any "immature" label. His height could be a concern - except he's taller than Russel Wilson, and at least as tall as Drew Brees, so.

    Going to be amazing to watch it all unfold.

    The other thing that's in Baker's favor is the Bill Parcells yardstick. # of games as a college starter as a predictor of NFL success. Only Mayfield, Rudolph, and White (among the top 10 QB prospects) were 4 year starters in college....  

    Not just walk on- he did it twice.  At Texas Tech, and Oklahoma- no small feat. For sure he doesn't lack confidence.  

  • @calfoxwc said:

    I have been - it did occur to me that I was wondering about his immaturity, and then I realized that he was a walk-on, and ended up

    winning the Heisman? He has had some dumb immature moments, but overall, he has a ton of maturity and make-up that defy

    any "immature" label. His height could be a concern - except he's taller than Russel Wilson, and at least as tall as Drew Brees, so.

    Going to be amazing to watch it all unfold.

    The other thing that's in Baker's favor is the Bill Parcells yardstick. # of games as a college starter as a predictor of NFL success. Only Mayfield, Rudolph, and White (among the top 10 QB prospects) were 4 year starters in college....  

    Not just walk on- he did it twice.  At Texas Tech, and Oklahoma- no small feat. For sure he doesn't lack confidence.  

    @hoorta said:

    The other thing that's in Baker's favor is the Bill Parcells yardstick. # of games as a college starter as a predictor of NFL success. Only Mayfield, Rudolph, and White (among the top 10 QB prospects) were 4 year starters in college....  

    Not just walk on- he did it twice.  At Texas Tech, and Oklahoma- no small feat. For sure he doesn't lack confidence.  

    I'm all in on the Baker Mayfield train  regardless or not , of all the JM comparisons.. I just love kids with that type of mentality and confidence.