Joe Thomas has retired
-
Makes me wonder if he wishes he had just one more year in him.
Probably more than one.
His kids are 2 (son) and ~0.2 (brand new daughter) years old. Still had 3 or 4 years before playing would get in the way of seeing the oldest get active in extracurriculars... a factor that comes into many players decision to hang 'em up.
Probably more than one.
His kids are 2 (son) and ~0.2 (brand new daughter) years old. Still had 3 or 4 years before playing would get in the way of seeing the oldest get active in extracurriculars... a factor that comes into many players decision to hang 'em up.
That's a great point. Although I obviously don't KNOW him, I can all but guarantee he'd still be playing if that awful injury didn't happen. Even if he had an ACL injury, I think he'd be back. Not being able to use his arm for so long atrophied his muscles and the weight loss is what ultimately caused him to retire (what he basically said).
And you know it has to kill him because no matter how many games we win this year, it's obvious that we have a real team. Yes, Tyrod was awful so far, but Joe would've loved having him over the garbage he had the past umpteen years. And now, there's Baker. Joe doesn't like rookies, he's said so numerous times. It's understandable why. But Baker isn't the typical rookie, meaning he's very prepared and he's got the respect of the team. I also think Baker would sort of reinvigorate Joe, keep him young. Make it FUN again.
I've long hoped Joe would be open to a coaching position, even though I knew he'd never do it because he's been gradually working towards commentating, which he's got a knack for. I wanted him to stay mostly to coach up Desmond Harrison, who by Joe's admission has more physical gifts than just about anyone. Joel Bitonio kind of stepped back from that assessment, but still intimated Harrison's gifts were rare and the kid has talent. Harrison needs to learn how to care for his body, how to really work out, how to eat, and how to watch film properly. Joe said he really started coming into his own once he learned how to watch film and learn from it.
Anyway, it'll never happen, but I can dream. Actually, I already feel like I AM dreaming. Why? Because we're starting an unrestricted free agent at Left Tackle after having a Hall of Fame player for almost 11 straight years. I admit, that first game was a bit tenuous at first, but Harrison got better in the second half, and seems to be getting better each week. Is he Hall of Fame? Of course not, but he's getting better, learning, and we have a real prospect here. Harrison needs two major things, and each come with time. He needs a year of NFL strength training, and he just needs playing experience. I think what gets me excited about him is the potential. He gets stronger, he learns the assignments better, and keeps it on the straight and narrow....we got a STEAL.
-
Losing weight also reduced Joe's chances of....
Selfie?
Selfie?
Yes.
And in the interest of sharing, I dug up one of you. Sharing IS caring, doug.
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
