Another look at Austin Corbett - OT/OG/C?
-
As a fan it bums me out that Joe retired. I have to think though it was actually a good hung ultimately for Joe. If he had kept playing he'd have retired a cripple.
As a fan it bums me out that Joe retired. I have to think though it was actually a good hung ultimately for Joe. If he had kept playing he'd have retired a cripple.
When you read how Bernie Kosar got plenty of injuries over the years, and how many players live with the damage done to their bodies playing so rough a game, I am delighted that Joe still walks well. Kinda like when you have a favorite TV show - like NCIS,
and Ziva leaves. (and then Dinozo and Abby, dammit).
But in football, the beat up NFL players get over time, doesn't end when they retire all too often.
https://aplus.com/a/physical-therapy-for-life-nfl-retirement?no_monetization=true
Physical Therapy Lasts For The Rest Of An NFL Player's Life
-
As a fan it bums me out that Joe retired. I have to think though it was actually a good hung ultimately for Joe. If he had kept playing he'd have retired a cripple.
As a fan it bums me out that Joe retired. I have to think though it was actually a good hung ultimately for Joe. If he had kept playing he'd have retired a cripple.
Me too J! To your point, knee pain kept him from practicing all week during his last 2 years of not missing a game.
And now that he's gone, it feels like this was the biggest off season effort to join the passing era on both sides of the ball with the WR Corps and Secondary in particular. We've always tried to upgrade the QB position - we just sucked at it. The only time this franchise aligned all the stars and planets somewhat for Joe was in 2007 with 10 wins but no playoffs. Winslow and Edwards made the Pro Bowl while Joe Jurevicius was a great target particularly on 3rd downs. A career backup QB (DA) threw 29 TD passes while our oline revived the dead legs of Jamal Lewis for 1300 yards on the ground. Our oline was LT Joe Thomas, LG Eric Steinbach, C Hank Fraley, RG Seth McKinney & Ryan Tucker, RT Kevin Shaffer
When you don't play gridiron chess with a bunch of pawns - no miracle work required from the coaching staff.
-
As a fan it bums me out that Joe retired. I have to think though it was actually a good hung ultimately for Joe. If he had kept playing he'd have retired a cripple.
As a fan it bums me out that Joe retired. I have to think though it was actually a good hung ultimately for Joe. If he had kept playing he'd have retired a cripple.
I have kept this interview with JT pinned since 2015. Maybe Nathan Ulrich best work.. https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/browns-all-pro-joe-thomas-has-played-through-much-worse-than-the-minor-knee-injury-he-suffered-monday-you-just-suck-it-up-you-re-a-lineman
-
When you have a chance to draft a guy like Joe Thomas, who LOVES the game, you draft him. He has huge respect around the entire league. From Gumby's link:
***************************************************
“I’ve got enough confidence in myself I don’t feel like I have to play,” Thomas said. “But I like to play. I want to go out there and be with my linemates and be out there helping [projected starting quarterback] Josh [McCown] and doing everything I can because I think if I’m healthy, it’s only fair to those guys to be out there giving my best.”
Thomas hasn’t missed any action with the Browns. Actually, he has barely missed any his entire life.
“I think going back to when I started playing football in seventh grade, I never missed a start,” he said. “I did tear my ACL in the bowl game my junior year [at the University of Wisconsin], so I did miss the fourth quarter of that game. Other than that, I never had an injury that caused me to miss time.”
Other than Monday’s session, Thomas said he can’t recall a practice he’s had to leave early since he joined the Browns."
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login