Skip to content

No matter what's being said publicly, the Browns quarterback position...

The Browns Board
47 25 2.5k
  • O osusev wrote on last edited by
    #41

    there really is not point on trying to reason with the hyper hater of DA/BQ supporters just like there is very little purpose on argueing with Lum who is obviously pro DA/Anti BQ.

    We could argue why DA performed well/underperformed in the complicated Team/million dollar coaching and support staff game. We could argue about BQ in the same exact way quoting intangibles,college career, work ethic etc.

    I think this is how it plays out, either Mangini think BQ is Franchise material or he thinks DA is just that much better and can be trained. I doubt there will be much middle ground, he will probably hedge his bet once the season starts with either guy for the season and trade next year the loser.

    Really we all now have to put "faith" in Mangini and companies talent evaluation skills

  • hammertimeH hammertime wrote on last edited by
    #42

    SoupDawg said:

    Have you ever noticed that Lums doesn't reply to anything.

    He just tries to pick and choose spots to argue , where he has to make up stuff.

    Here we go Lums....

    Are you a Browns Fan?

    Answer that douche. I highly doubt you are, you and oldcrow should get a room together.

    Why the beef w/ oldcrow? His reasoning is pretty sound on most topics.

  • Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by
    #43

    I recall DA being pretty high ranked coming out of HS. Let's not get this twisted, DA is a helluva athlete. Plus, scouts drool over 6'6 guys with howitzers coming out, it's always been that way. None of this really matters though, Quinn needs his shot. I've said it a million times, practice doesn't necessarily dictate who the best guy is, not until both have had their shot.

    I say this from the heart, if I thought DA was the guy I could care less about Quinn. Unfortunately, I'm a Browns fan and want to see what Quinn can do and besides that, he deserves the opportunity. It's not like he is Rivers to DA's Brees when Drew was lighting it up, DA hasn't got the job done since midway 07 and that's the facts. It's certainly not all his fault but he has shown glaring deficiencies over the course of his career. It's not like Quinn is Todd Philcox as the other option here, the kid has the pedigree and shown he can play in limited opportunities.

    I find it ironic that he is held to 8 games to prove he's a keeper whereas DA has been given well over 20 starts, but if that's the case, I'll live with it. I said this before, and that article that came out saying Mangie is going to keep both guys believing they have an equal shot is the smart thing to do. I said it before that article. You don't want to basically cast DA aside in case Quinn goes down or something happens before opening day. Besides that, DA deserves at least that much. With all the problems the team has had he certainly should not be made the scapegoat for all of it.

    I don't think DA will ever be a good and consistent QB in this league. I know he has youth on his side but it's his game that bothers me and I don't think it's the kind of game that can be changed just with experience. I'm not going to get all into that I've done that enough, but that's what I believe. I do feel there are certain systems and venues where he could put up some pretty good numbers, I just don't think he is a true and competent leader, game manager and drive handler.

  • DrunkandstoopidD Drunkandstoopid wrote on last edited by Drunkandstoopid
    #44

    @shepwrite said:

    Quinn's advantages and Anderson's shortcomings are minimized in preseason games when defenses play more vanilla.

    So... Last year, with all of Quinn's advangtages, against vanilla defenses, he threw for 1... yes ONE... TD in 17 drives. Man that Anderson cat must be horrible.

  • @osusev said:

    I have come to the point that I hope IF Bq is named starter that he gets 8 games to solidify his position in the franchise. However IF DA is named starter than we need to trade BQ ASAP because it will be pretty evident that 2 completely different types of coaching staffs have decided that BQ is not NFL starter material.

    So.. 8 games for Quinn is enough. 26+ for Anderson doesn't alleviate your doubts.

    If Anderson is named starter, it means we are preparing to take another QB in 2010.

    DrunkandstoopidD Drunkandstoopid wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @lemosley01 said:

    So.. 8 games for Quinn is enough. 26+ for Anderson doesn't alleviate your doubts.

    If Anderson is named starter, it means we are preparing to take another QB in 2010.

    Or the last Coach really didn't utilize him, or the team, correctly.

  • @shepwrite said:

    Quinn's advantages and Anderson's shortcomings are minimized in preseason games when defenses play more vanilla.

    So... Last year, with all of Quinn's advangtages, against vanilla defenses, he threw for 1... yes ONE... TD in 17 drives. Man that Anderson cat must be horrible.

    hammertimeH hammertime wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @drunkandstoopid said:

    So... Last year, with all of Quinn's advangtages, against vanilla defenses, he threw for 1... yes ONE... TD in 17 drives. Man that Anderson cat must be horrible.

    You keep baiting people into your world.

    People aren't claiming DA is a bust. We have a #1 pick who deserves a shot due to DA flaming out after a pro bowl season.

    I won't even discredit his second half of that season. Just sit back and watch this camp as the NEW coaches will, if DA wins the job then more power to him. Just don't deny his weak points which have been exposed, all QB's have them. This is a tough town for mediocore QB's, we've had enough to be very biased. Post all you want in DA's favor this will be the last year we dwell on it, that is for sure.

  • D damajuki wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @shepwrite said:

    No, Lums, as hard as it is for you to grasp, most of us were Browns fans before Brady Quinn was born and our loyalties hardly rise and fall with him. I don't know that even one of us here is a Domer. If Quinn sucked and Anderson soared, we'd back him all the way.

    Actually, I'm the resident Domer.

    And I was an ND fan before and after Brady Quinn just like I've been a Browns fan before Quinn and will be after.

    But I have never been Quinn's biggest fan. Those who go back to '07 may remember me saying that my heart wanted Peterson but my head said Quinn, not because I loved him so much but because we didn't have a QB and he was the best available.

    Unfortunately for us, what was true in 2007 is still true today:

    We don't have a starting QB and we have no choice but to hope Brady Quinn is the real deal.