Skip to content

The PBS "GREAT AMERICAN READ" best of 100 final is in. Interesting show!

Barber Shop Talk
30 5 955
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #21

    If you want, you can watch the full The Sign of Four here:

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I guess because I knew it was serialized originally I just didn't think of it as a novel. I stand corrected.

    Conan Doyle wrote, I believe  Four Sherlock Holmes Novels.  The Hound of the Baskervilles,  The Sign of Four,  A Study in Scarlet, and The Valley of Fear.

    These may have "originally" been serialized in The Strand Magazine, but I am not sure about that.  Most of the other Holmes stories were "short stories" that were published in The Strand.

    While there have been a few true fairly true depictions of The Hound made into Movies, and at least one faithful treatment of The Sign of Four that I know of,  I am not aware that there has ever been a true depiction of either A Study in Scarlet nor The Valley of Fear  made into movies.   And oddly these two are about the only two of the Holmes stories where a good part of the tale takes place in America. 

    Also, both of these cover what could, even to this day, be considered sensitive subjects....and maybe that is why a "real"  true to the books movies have not been made.  Much of the action in A Study in Scarlet takes place in the American West, and is, to be honest, a harsh depiction of how the Mormons treated women.   The Mormon Church would without a doubt make a serious protest over any attempt to produce a film that would be true to that original story.    And,  in The Valley of Fear much of it takes place in the coal fields of Pennsylvania and centers around  the group known as The Molly Maguires, which was an organized group of Irish coal miners who essentially operated much like a Mafia family operation.  They used fear, intimidation, murder, violence to promote their aims.  I suspect that both people of Irish descent, people whose families had a history in those coal mines, and perhaps some organized labor groups would dislike having that story  depicted on film.

    And for both of those reasons, I would like to see both stories made that would be truthful to the original stories.  The Hound of The Baskervilles and The Sign of Four do not come with the same potential political controversy.

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @the-gipper said:

    Conan Doyle wrote, I believe  Four Sherlock Holmes Novels.  The Hound of the Baskervilles,  The Sign of Four,  A Study in Scarlet, and The Valley of Fear.

    These may have "originally" been serialized in The Strand Magazine, but I am not sure about that.  Most of the other Holmes stories were "short stories" that were published in The Strand.

    While there have been a few true fairly true depictions of The Hound made into Movies, and at least one faithful treatment of The Sign of Four that I know of,  I am not aware that there has ever been a true depiction of either A Study in Scarlet nor The Valley of Fear  made into movies.   And oddly these two are about the only two of the Holmes stories where a good part of the tale takes place in America. 

    Also, both of these cover what could, even to this day, be considered sensitive subjects....and maybe that is why a "real"  true to the books movies have not been made.  Much of the action in A Study in Scarlet takes place in the American West, and is, to be honest, a harsh depiction of how the Mormons treated women.   The Mormon Church would without a doubt make a serious protest over any attempt to produce a film that would be true to that original story.    And,  in The Valley of Fear much of it takes place in the coal fields of Pennsylvania and centers around  the group known as The Molly Maguires, which was an organized group of Irish coal miners who essentially operated much like a Mafia family operation.  They used fear, intimidation, murder, violence to promote their aims.  I suspect that both people of Irish descent, people whose families had a history in those coal mines, and perhaps some organized labor groups would dislike having that story  depicted on film.

    And for both of those reasons, I would like to see both stories made that would be truthful to the original stories.  The Hound of The Baskervilles and The Sign of Four do not come with the same potential political controversy.

    great stuff, Gipper, Thanks !

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Well I'm reading a novel now a friend of mine gave me a few years back called "Angel Fire". You may or may not know that Angel Fire N.M. has a Vietnam Veteran's memorial originally started by the father of a veteran killed in Vietnam and later supported and funded by the DAV. It's actually a very peaceful place to visit to the E. of Taos. Anyway this novel is about a man from a small town in Wyoming (Gillette is thinly disguised) whose brother goes to Vietnam as a correspondent and is killed under mysterious circumstances after having truthfully reported on a massacre of Vietnamese he witnessed by an American unit he was with. The novel is well written and obviously by an outdoorsman who was born and raised in Wyoming. Here is a short excerpt from the book that I think is especially lyrical and reminds me of the short novel "And A River Runs Through It." 

    "Somewhere high up in the ice fields of Cloud Peak, the Crazy Woman weeps from the glacial flows of a hundred different winters. She gathers herself below the treeline, trickling across the wildflower meadows, cutting through deer trails and timberfalls, warming her icy blood in the early morning sun that paints the eastern slope of the Big Horn Mountains."

    If you are familiar with the movie Jeremiah Johnson then you likely know about the legend of how Crazy Woman Creek in Wyoming got it's name from a woman whose whole family was killed by Crow Indians, leaving her to morn & wander searching for them in the wilderness for years afterwards and seen by trappers in the area from time to time.

    Anyway, I love this novel so far. Very well written and especially for anyone like myself who enjoys the outdoors as much as I do.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #24

    you'd love my novel then. I just finished editing it for errors here and there, several run-on sentences. I'm ready to send in for an ISBN number, however the heck ya do that....

  • Well I'm reading a novel now a friend of mine gave me a few years back called "Angel Fire". You may or may not know that Angel Fire N.M. has a Vietnam Veteran's memorial originally started by the father of a veteran killed in Vietnam and later supported and funded by the DAV. It's actually a very peaceful place to visit to the E. of Taos. Anyway this novel is about a man from a small town in Wyoming (Gillette is thinly disguised) whose brother goes to Vietnam as a correspondent and is killed under mysterious circumstances after having truthfully reported on a massacre of Vietnamese he witnessed by an American unit he was with. The novel is well written and obviously by an outdoorsman who was born and raised in Wyoming. Here is a short excerpt from the book that I think is especially lyrical and reminds me of the short novel "And A River Runs Through It." 

    "Somewhere high up in the ice fields of Cloud Peak, the Crazy Woman weeps from the glacial flows of a hundred different winters. She gathers herself below the treeline, trickling across the wildflower meadows, cutting through deer trails and timberfalls, warming her icy blood in the early morning sun that paints the eastern slope of the Big Horn Mountains."

    If you are familiar with the movie Jeremiah Johnson then you likely know about the legend of how Crazy Woman Creek in Wyoming got it's name from a woman whose whole family was killed by Crow Indians, leaving her to morn & wander searching for them in the wilderness for years afterwards and seen by trappers in the area from time to time.

    Anyway, I love this novel so far. Very well written and especially for anyone like myself who enjoys the outdoors as much as I do.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @texasag1969 said:

    Well I'm reading a novel now a friend of mine gave me a few years back called "Angel Fire". You may or may not know that Angel Fire N.M. has a Vietnam Veteran's memorial originally started by the father of a veteran killed in Vietnam and later supported and funded by the DAV. It's actually a very peaceful place to visit to the E. of Taos. Anyway this novel is about a man from a small town in Wyoming (Gillette is thinly disguised) whose brother goes to Vietnam as a correspondent and is killed under mysterious circumstances after having truthfully reported on a massacre of Vietnamese he witnessed by an American unit he was with. The novel is well written and obviously by an outdoorsman who was born and raised in Wyoming. Here is a short excerpt from the book that I think is especially lyrical and reminds me of the short novel "And A River Runs Through It." 

    "Somewhere high up in the ice fields of Cloud Peak, the Crazy Woman weeps from the glacial flows of a hundred different winters. She gathers herself below the treeline, trickling across the wildflower meadows, cutting through deer trails and timberfalls, warming her icy blood in the early morning sun that paints the eastern slope of the Big Horn Mountains."

    If you are familiar with the movie Jeremiah Johnson then you likely know about the legend of how Crazy Woman Creek in Wyoming got it's name from a woman whose whole family was killed by Crow Indians, leaving her to morn & wander searching for them in the wilderness for years afterwards and seen by trappers in the area from time to time.

    Anyway, I love this novel so far. Very well written and especially for anyone like myself who enjoys the outdoors as much as I do.

    I know Angel fire well I spent my first Gipper’s discover America trip in Angelfire spend a week there

  • you'd love my novel then. I just finished editing it for errors here and there, several run-on sentences. I'm ready to send in for an ISBN number, however the heck ya do that....

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #26

    @calfoxwc said:

    you'd love my novel then. I just finished editing it for errors here and there, several run-on sentences. I'm ready to send in for an ISBN number, however the heck ya do that....

    I'm not sure about ISBN cal, but I can personally issue you a HASBN number?♿. I have a couple to spare, especially since I just injured my left knee again. Feels like a repeat of the medial meniscus tear I had repaired in the same knee around 15 years ago. I'm now doing rowing machines and stationary biking until I see my MD tomorrow. It's the side to side stuff that is painful and that's racquetball in a nutshell.

    EDIT: That book I recommended will give you some good ideas for camping spots on the way through Wyoming if you take that route this summer cal.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Well I'm reading a novel now a friend of mine gave me a few years back called "Angel Fire". You may or may not know that Angel Fire N.M. has a Vietnam Veteran's memorial originally started by the father of a veteran killed in Vietnam and later supported and funded by the DAV. It's actually a very peaceful place to visit to the E. of Taos. Anyway this novel is about a man from a small town in Wyoming (Gillette is thinly disguised) whose brother goes to Vietnam as a correspondent and is killed under mysterious circumstances after having truthfully reported on a massacre of Vietnamese he witnessed by an American unit he was with. The novel is well written and obviously by an outdoorsman who was born and raised in Wyoming. Here is a short excerpt from the book that I think is especially lyrical and reminds me of the short novel "And A River Runs Through It." 

    "Somewhere high up in the ice fields of Cloud Peak, the Crazy Woman weeps from the glacial flows of a hundred different winters. She gathers herself below the treeline, trickling across the wildflower meadows, cutting through deer trails and timberfalls, warming her icy blood in the early morning sun that paints the eastern slope of the Big Horn Mountains."

    If you are familiar with the movie Jeremiah Johnson then you likely know about the legend of how Crazy Woman Creek in Wyoming got it's name from a woman whose whole family was killed by Crow Indians, leaving her to morn & wander searching for them in the wilderness for years afterwards and seen by trappers in the area from time to time.

    Anyway, I love this novel so far. Very well written and especially for anyone like myself who enjoys the outdoors as much as I do.

    I know Angel fire well I spent my first Gipper’s discover America trip in Angelfire spend a week there

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #27

    @the-gipper said:

    I know Angel fire well I spent my first Gipper’s discover America trip in Angelfire spend a week there

    My son may be going back to Zuni, NM. His old HS football HC there told him he has won two district titles in a row, but just feels totally burnt from it. He is getting my son a HS teaching position if he will just come and be his coordinator/coach of all defensive positions. Together they had won the district and beaten much larger school Shiprock for the first time in over 30 years when my son was there 6 years ago teaching middle school and serving as a volunteer defensive coach for the HS. I love NM. Great outdoors state just like much of Colorado.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    you'd love my novel then. I just finished editing it for errors here and there, several run-on sentences. I'm ready to send in for an ISBN number, however the heck ya do that....

    I'm not sure about ISBN cal, but I can personally issue you a HASBN number?♿. I have a couple to spare, especially since I just injured my left knee again. Feels like a repeat of the medial meniscus tear I had repaired in the same knee around 15 years ago. I'm now doing rowing machines and stationary biking until I see my MD tomorrow. It's the side to side stuff that is painful and that's racquetball in a nutshell.

    EDIT: That book I recommended will give you some good ideas for camping spots on the way through Wyoming if you take that route this summer cal.

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc
    #28

    @texasag1969 said:

    I'm not sure about ISBN cal, but I can personally issue you a HASBN number?♿. I have a couple to spare, especially since I just injured my left knee again. Feels like a repeat of the medial meniscus tear I had repaired in the same knee around 15 years ago. I'm now doing rowing machines and stationary biking until I see my MD tomorrow. It's the side to side stuff that is painful and that's racquetball in a nutshell.

    EDIT: That book I recommended will give you some good ideas for camping spots on the way through Wyoming if you take that route this summer cal.

    I'll check it out for sure. Our friends really want to make that out west trip happen - and we'd love to go, too. I think we need to pick up a small camper. Tent camping is our love, but out west? Yellowstone? "I don't think, so, Tim."

    About your knee - have your surgeon check for stability - lacking that, you could have surface damage to the interior of your knee. When I had my entire knee replaced, my surgeon said my knee was the second-worst he's ever seen in his career, out of thousands he'd done.

      I say that because the cartilage doesn't get repaired - I'm pretty sure - just trimmed. For a lot of decades - I had no cartilage in my knee. My artificial knee is awesome. Like bionic man. Even three years later, I get  a little amazed going up and down stairs.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I'm not sure about ISBN cal, but I can personally issue you a HASBN number?♿. I have a couple to spare, especially since I just injured my left knee again. Feels like a repeat of the medial meniscus tear I had repaired in the same knee around 15 years ago. I'm now doing rowing machines and stationary biking until I see my MD tomorrow. It's the side to side stuff that is painful and that's racquetball in a nutshell.

    EDIT: That book I recommended will give you some good ideas for camping spots on the way through Wyoming if you take that route this summer cal.

    I'll check it out for sure. Our friends really want to make that out west trip happen - and we'd love to go, too. I think we need to pick up a small camper. Tent camping is our love, but out west? Yellowstone? "I don't think, so, Tim."

    About your knee - have your surgeon check for stability - lacking that, you could have surface damage to the interior of your knee. When I had my entire knee replaced, my surgeon said my knee was the second-worst he's ever seen in his career, out of thousands he'd done.

      I say that because the cartilage doesn't get repaired - I'm pretty sure - just trimmed. For a lot of decades - I had no cartilage in my knee. My artificial knee is awesome. Like bionic man. Even three years later, I get  a little amazed going up and down stairs.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @calfoxwc said:

    I'll check it out for sure. Our friends really want to make that out west trip happen - and we'd love to go, too. I think we need to pick up a small camper. Tent camping is our love, but out west? Yellowstone? "I don't think, so, Tim."

    About your knee - have your surgeon check for stability - lacking that, you could have surface damage to the interior of your knee. When I had my entire knee replaced, my surgeon said my knee was the second-worst he's ever seen in his career, out of thousands he'd done.

      I say that because the cartilage doesn't get repaired - I'm pretty sure - just trimmed. For a lot of decades - I had no cartilage in my knee. My artificial knee is awesome. Like bionic man. Even three years later, I get  a little amazed going up and down stairs.

    I'm requesting an ortho consult tomorrow and hopefully that pays off with an MRI. Last time they just told me to live with it so I went to the Ortho surgeon in Austin who did UT knees for the football team. He shaved the bucket handle tear and took out a small bit of arthritis. I spent a year riding a bicycle 15 miles a day every good weather day before finally playing again on a regular basis. I'm kind of resigned that this may be it for RB, especially if I take the longer view of still walking for miles on the mountain trails in Colorado. That would be worth staying on a bike and/or the rowing machines from now on. Too bad. I loved playing RB on this level so long. But "life is like a box of chocolates".

    BTW-I'm going rowing today⚓. Too 'fn cold outside with the norther that blew in overnight?️. Keep that stuff up there please.?

  • you'd love my novel then. I just finished editing it for errors here and there, several run-on sentences. I'm ready to send in for an ISBN number, however the heck ya do that....

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @calfoxwc said:

    you'd love my novel then. I just finished editing it for errors here and there, several run-on sentences. I'm ready to send in for an ISBN number, however the heck ya do that....

    I really would like to read your book cal. I would not worry too much over run-on sentences. If you have ever read William Faulkner, you'd likely qualify only as an amateur compared to some of his very lengthy run-ons. BTW if you have never read "Go Down, Moses" by him I would highly recommend it. His short story in it entitled "The Old People" is a wonderful story of a boy's first successful deer hunt guided by a native American descendant. That story alone makes the book worth getting, because it's really more than a deer hunt. It's my favorite piece by Faulkner. Brings you back in time to the taming of the wilderness, which Faulkner always lamented.That book also includes the short novel "The Bear" another tale of the wilderness. You'd love them both. And BTW before you head out west read James Michener's "Centennial". It will take you back in time to the old west including the influx of the trappers into the wilds of northern Colorado. After my wife read it she told me she knew I must have either been born 150 years too late or if there is such a thing as reincarnation, then I had a past life that spilled  over from then. She knows me well.???️