Ahhh, this is why Kellen hates DA so much, I totally forgot...
-
I really just started this thread to discover the reason for Winslow preferring Quinn over Anderson... This has developed into an in depth play analysis... which is cool
I must say I appreciate your analysis Jason, you always have amazing play breakdowns... its quite incredible and I wish you would do it more often.... However, in your analysis you did mention that Anderson got "HOT", now, not to pimp Quinn or anything, but even in the play that I posted, Quinn was able to stay calm under pressure and came pretty close to being sacked there, Also there were numerous times in pre-season, and in the broncos game where Quinn had some LB's in his face and he kept calm and stuck it out. I think Quinns composure in the pocket is a great asset, if you look at vids of him at Notre Dame there were numerous plays of him setting his feet and directing a solid throw to an open reciever.
Even you said DA couldve waited a tad longer to let the play develop
-
I really just started this thread to discover the reason for Winslow preferring Quinn over Anderson... This has developed into an in depth play analysis... which is cool
I must say I appreciate your analysis Jason, you always have amazing play breakdowns... its quite incredible and I wish you would do it more often.... However, in your analysis you did mention that Anderson got "HOT", now, not to pimp Quinn or anything, but even in the play that I posted, Quinn was able to stay calm under pressure and came pretty close to being sacked there, Also there were numerous times in pre-season, and in the broncos game where Quinn had some LB's in his face and he kept calm and stuck it out. I think Quinns composure in the pocket is a great asset, if you look at vids of him at Notre Dame there were numerous plays of him setting his feet and directing a solid throw to an open reciever.
Even you said DA couldve waited a tad longer to let the play develop
I really just started this thread to discover the reason for Winslow preferring Quinn over Anderson... This has developed into an in depth play analysis... which is cool
I must say I appreciate your analysis Jason, you always have amazing play breakdowns... its quite incredible and I wish you would do it more often.... However, in your analysis you did mention that Anderson got "HOT", now, not to pimp Quinn or anything, but even in the play that I posted, Quinn was able to stay calm under pressure and came pretty close to being sacked there, Also there were numerous times in pre-season, and in the broncos game where Quinn had some LB's in his face and he kept calm and stuck it out. I think Quinns composure in the pocket is a great asset, if you look at vids of him at Notre Dame there were numerous plays of him setting his feet and directing a solid throw to an open reciever.
Even you said DA couldve waited a tad longer to let the play develop
"Hot" is not a descriptive term. The "hot" read is the blitz read. Anderson read blitz, and went to his hot read. He actually patters his feet waiting for Winslow to get his head around, presumably so he doesn't ear-hole him. He could've waited to make the read. But there's no way for him to know that. He's got 5 on 5 up front and a man beaten. His running back is out of the picture. So, he knows (or assumes incorrectly) that his running back is man on man on the outside. That's a "hot" read. Get rid, and right now.
By the time he releases the ball, he's out of time. He's on a two-step stutter drop out of the shotgun. And he can't back up. Again, because he can't see his LT or RB. He has to assume they're behind him. The DT has Shaffer beaten.
And, while I grant you Quinn is more mobile in the pocket. You have to watch him closely. He has a tendency to let his mechanics break down when he scrambles. He'll uncork some doozies, jumping around like he's Ozzie Smith turning a DP. He also has a tendency to move backward, something you just can't do in the NFL. The upside is that Quinn seems to be keenly aware of this. So much so, that he often uses very mechanical chop steps when he scrambles. You'll see him squared up, both hands on the ball, chopping his feet like he's running tires. It's kinda funny actually. But it does speak to the power of repetition in habit breaking, and to the kid's work ethic.
-jj
-
Once again... stellar post...
I did know what you meant by "Hot", What I was trying to say was that going for the hot read was still an option, he could have turned his shoulders and shifted away from the blitz extending the play. All he needed to do was buy and extra second or two in the pocket by shifting to the left since he had 3 receivers running in routes.. There was a 10 yd post in by the outside reciever, Kellen clearly running an "in" an steptoe running a quick drag. The left side of the line held up substantially well and by the time DA got to JT he would have three open receivers.. this is why having quick feet in the pocket helps... this is why a QB like Quinn can extend the play, this is why Big Gay Ben frustrates everyone
Dude, you need to coach my flag football team down here in Akron, every year my team has some really awesome athletes, but we lose..

Usually what happens is we go in with a gameplan, and as soon as something goes haywire we fall apart and start doing whatever... its bad... every year, I wish I had pocket composure like Quinn, because when the blitz comes within 5 yards I get happy feet, whereas Ive seen him just step up in the pocket to buy a few secs then make the throw. With me I have the tendency to commit to th pass or the sneak too soon. Here I go rambling about my QB shortfalls... haha.. sorry guys
-
What's the argument here again?
This wasn't a bad decision by DA, but he's had many more plays like this where he doesn't extend the play when it's there. It's one of his forte's and a profound reason why the guy can't keep drives alive yada yada yada.
-
@shepwrite said:
OBR has a problem -- no access -- so they have to write SOMETHING. It's a total nothing article about neither quarterback being great at the spring practices that ended like two weeks ago. No new quotes, no new information... just a notion that Quinn is probably ahead today but it could be Anderson tomorrow.Really weak. No mention of Quinn having a strong last day and both QBs looking better over the last week. No mention of Ratliff. Just space filler. I gave up my subscription.
Thanks Shep. I was about to jump on their subscription once, but the $99 seems so over the top.
Anyway, not surprising.
Is it August yet? I'm so ready for some football
-
Jason, that is some of the best posting ever done on this board. Good stuff!
-
Winslow should have caught the ball.
(didn't I already say that?)
-
Kellen and DA
Kellen and Quinn
Kellen and Quinn
On the prior play, Lewis needs to take that outside. The blocks were there.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login