Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Greg Robinson to sign one-year deal

Greg Robinson to sign one-year deal

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
28 Posts 16 Posters 626 Views 1 Watching
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • ballpeenB ballpeen

    @jcam222 said:

    I wish we could have got a club option on another year or two. With a one year deal if he crushes it its no lock we get him for a long term contract. He will be highly sought after. 

    True, but it is a good deal for all involved.  We still have the ability to sign him next year if we desire and he gets what I would assume is a pretty decent yearly salary.  You also have to factor that the guy said he wants to stay here.  We are a team on the rise.  

    jiggins7919 jiggins7919J Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
    • 5k Posts
    • 1k Reputation
    jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @ballpeen said:

    True, but it is a good deal for all involved.  We still have the ability to sign him next year if we desire and he gets what I would assume is a pretty decent yearly salary.  You also have to factor that the guy said he wants to stay here.  We are a team on the rise.  

    I actually love this signing! For me, I adore a comeback story. This guy didn't play anywhere up to his draft status, but nobody could figure out why because the physical tools were there, and the guy was far from any type of cancer. I read a recent article about this news, and a quote that stuck out to me was an unnamed NFL coach said Greg Robinson isn't a guy who you yell and scream at, that will cause him to go into his shell. You build upon his strengths and coach him differently, and I think we saw those results. 

    Now, this isn't to say that Robinson played like a Hall of Famer, far from it. In fact, if you look at some data and rankings information, you'll see that Robinson wasn't anywhere near the top of the class, and he was very much "middle tier"...ESPECIALLY when you factor in the penalties. Greg would hold even when he didn't have to, and he started to get a reputation, so he got targeted more and more. I remember a Bengals game (I think) where our first play was a screen to Chubb that went for about 20 yards. Robinson had such a grip on his guy that the defender chopped at Greg's hands twice before Greg finally let him go. This somehow wasn't called, but Greg didn't even need to DO IT. 

    If he can get the penalties under control, he will be a nice signing for us. I remember after his first start Baker Mayfield specifically named him as someone who played well. That almost seemed to balloon his confidence and the OL as a whole really came together. I think our offensive playcalling after Kitchens took over had a ton to do with it, but there's no question everyone still played better. Greg gets to protect Baker Mayfield for another year, and Greg made no secret about loving Cleveland and feeling like he finally belongs. 

    The one thing that surprised me was our other reclamation project, Breshad Perriman. He was a terrific story and someone who was cut by the Ravens and then the Redskins before coming to us. Hardly anybody expected much from him, and while he didn't "blow up" or anything, he was crucial for us in a couple of games. I'm guessing he received some bad agent advice because he turned down Dorsey's offer. John Dorsey was reportedly pretty unhappy about this, and Perriman will test free agency. I'd be VERY shocked if he came back because I guarantee you the offer won't be as good if he comes crawling back. 

    hoortaH 1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
      • 57k Posts
      • 4k Reputation
      The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
      #22

      QB's these days aren't these big gawky, stiff legged guys standing back there waiting to be hammered.  Take the snap and throw or roll.

      Well, I still think that the drop back passer continue to have more success.  There is Brady obviously, and the likes of Rivers/BR and others. 

      Not saying that they don't have some mobility....but the Lamar Jackson types certainly have not taken over the league.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Z Zombo

        Glad they got something done before Free Agency and draft, gives us flexibility.

        Z

        Flugel FlugelF Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
        • 11k Posts
        • 6k Reputation
        FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
        #23

        Zombo said:

        Glad they got something done before Free Agency and draft, gives us flexibility.

        Z

        Me too Zombo!

        I welcome the only Defensive Coordinator to earn a Superbowl Ring in New Orleans while understanding Revenge of the Nerds is a sequel. "Come get some!"
        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • jiggins7919J jiggins7919

          @ballpeen said:

          True, but it is a good deal for all involved.  We still have the ability to sign him next year if we desire and he gets what I would assume is a pretty decent yearly salary.  You also have to factor that the guy said he wants to stay here.  We are a team on the rise.  

          I actually love this signing! For me, I adore a comeback story. This guy didn't play anywhere up to his draft status, but nobody could figure out why because the physical tools were there, and the guy was far from any type of cancer. I read a recent article about this news, and a quote that stuck out to me was an unnamed NFL coach said Greg Robinson isn't a guy who you yell and scream at, that will cause him to go into his shell. You build upon his strengths and coach him differently, and I think we saw those results. 

          Now, this isn't to say that Robinson played like a Hall of Famer, far from it. In fact, if you look at some data and rankings information, you'll see that Robinson wasn't anywhere near the top of the class, and he was very much "middle tier"...ESPECIALLY when you factor in the penalties. Greg would hold even when he didn't have to, and he started to get a reputation, so he got targeted more and more. I remember a Bengals game (I think) where our first play was a screen to Chubb that went for about 20 yards. Robinson had such a grip on his guy that the defender chopped at Greg's hands twice before Greg finally let him go. This somehow wasn't called, but Greg didn't even need to DO IT. 

          If he can get the penalties under control, he will be a nice signing for us. I remember after his first start Baker Mayfield specifically named him as someone who played well. That almost seemed to balloon his confidence and the OL as a whole really came together. I think our offensive playcalling after Kitchens took over had a ton to do with it, but there's no question everyone still played better. Greg gets to protect Baker Mayfield for another year, and Greg made no secret about loving Cleveland and feeling like he finally belongs. 

          The one thing that surprised me was our other reclamation project, Breshad Perriman. He was a terrific story and someone who was cut by the Ravens and then the Redskins before coming to us. Hardly anybody expected much from him, and while he didn't "blow up" or anything, he was crucial for us in a couple of games. I'm guessing he received some bad agent advice because he turned down Dorsey's offer. John Dorsey was reportedly pretty unhappy about this, and Perriman will test free agency. I'd be VERY shocked if he came back because I guarantee you the offer won't be as good if he comes crawling back. 

          hoorta hoortaH Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
          • 20k Posts
          • 5k Reputation
          hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
          #24

          @jiggins7919 said:

          The one thing that surprised me was our other reclamation project, Breshad Perriman. He was a terrific story and someone who was cut by the Ravens and then the Redskins before coming to us. Hardly anybody expected much from him, and while he didn't "blow up" or anything, he was crucial for us in a couple of games. I'm guessing he received some bad agent advice because he turned down Dorsey's offer. John Dorsey was reportedly pretty unhappy about this, and Perriman will test free agency. I'd be VERY shocked if he came back because I guarantee you the offer won't be as good if he comes crawling back. 

          I know Perriman in a Robinson thread is OT, but I have to respond. 

          Turning down Dorsey's offer? You shouldn't be a bit surprised, I even mentioned it in another thread. . Perriman's agents are none other than the same guys who thought Terrell Pryor was worth way more than what the Browns were offering. Team Extortion Rosenhaus. Super Agent Drew gets you a better deal elsewhere? God Bless ya, and don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out. 

          FlugelF The GipperT 2 Replies Last reply
          👍
          Quote Reply
          • hoortaH hoorta

            @jiggins7919 said:

            The one thing that surprised me was our other reclamation project, Breshad Perriman. He was a terrific story and someone who was cut by the Ravens and then the Redskins before coming to us. Hardly anybody expected much from him, and while he didn't "blow up" or anything, he was crucial for us in a couple of games. I'm guessing he received some bad agent advice because he turned down Dorsey's offer. John Dorsey was reportedly pretty unhappy about this, and Perriman will test free agency. I'd be VERY shocked if he came back because I guarantee you the offer won't be as good if he comes crawling back. 

            I know Perriman in a Robinson thread is OT, but I have to respond. 

            Turning down Dorsey's offer? You shouldn't be a bit surprised, I even mentioned it in another thread. . Perriman's agents are none other than the same guys who thought Terrell Pryor was worth way more than what the Browns were offering. Team Extortion Rosenhaus. Super Agent Drew gets you a better deal elsewhere? God Bless ya, and don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out. 

            Flugel FlugelF Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
            • 11k Posts
            • 6k Reputation
            FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
            #25

            @hoorta said:

            I know Perriman in a Robinson thread is OT, but I have to respond. 

            Turning down Dorsey's offer? You shouldn't be a bit surprised, I even mentioned it in another thread. . Perriman's agents are none other than the same guys who thought Terrell Pryor was worth way more than what the Browns were offering. Team Extortion Rosenhaus. Super Agent Drew gets you a better deal elsewhere? God Bless ya, and don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out. 

            Interesting you bring up Pryor. After Cleveland CPR'd his dead career - Rosenhaus went and re-buried it.  Is that what he wants to do to Perriman now?   That's too bad... 

            I welcome the only Defensive Coordinator to earn a Superbowl Ring in New Orleans while understanding Revenge of the Nerds is a sequel. "Come get some!"
            1 Reply Last reply
            👍
            Quote Reply
            • hoortaH hoorta

              @jiggins7919 said:

              The one thing that surprised me was our other reclamation project, Breshad Perriman. He was a terrific story and someone who was cut by the Ravens and then the Redskins before coming to us. Hardly anybody expected much from him, and while he didn't "blow up" or anything, he was crucial for us in a couple of games. I'm guessing he received some bad agent advice because he turned down Dorsey's offer. John Dorsey was reportedly pretty unhappy about this, and Perriman will test free agency. I'd be VERY shocked if he came back because I guarantee you the offer won't be as good if he comes crawling back. 

              I know Perriman in a Robinson thread is OT, but I have to respond. 

              Turning down Dorsey's offer? You shouldn't be a bit surprised, I even mentioned it in another thread. . Perriman's agents are none other than the same guys who thought Terrell Pryor was worth way more than what the Browns were offering. Team Extortion Rosenhaus. Super Agent Drew gets you a better deal elsewhere? God Bless ya, and don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out. 

              The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
              • 57k Posts
              • 4k Reputation
              The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
              #26

              @hoorta said:

              I know Perriman in a Robinson thread is OT, but I have to respond. 

              Turning down Dorsey's offer? You shouldn't be a bit surprised, I even mentioned it in another thread. . Perriman's agents are none other than the same guys who thought Terrell Pryor was worth way more than what the Browns were offering. Team Extortion Rosenhaus. Super Agent Drew gets you a better deal elsewhere? God Bless ya, and don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out. 

              Well....he screwed over Pryor from what I can see.   Why can't the players in this league see that?

              hoortaH 1 Reply Last reply
              👍
              Quote Reply
              • The GipperT The Gipper

                @hoorta said:

                I know Perriman in a Robinson thread is OT, but I have to respond. 

                Turning down Dorsey's offer? You shouldn't be a bit surprised, I even mentioned it in another thread. . Perriman's agents are none other than the same guys who thought Terrell Pryor was worth way more than what the Browns were offering. Team Extortion Rosenhaus. Super Agent Drew gets you a better deal elsewhere? God Bless ya, and don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out. 

                Well....he screwed over Pryor from what I can see.   Why can't the players in this league see that?

                hoorta hoortaH Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                • 20k Posts
                • 5k Reputation
                hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
                #27

                @the-gipper said:

                Well....he screwed over Pryor from what I can see.   Why can't the players in this league see that?

                You would think Gipper...  Maybe it's coming to pass that Rosenhaus is falling out of favor with athletes (incidentally, Drew also represents Antonio Brown) I did a bit of research, and to my suprise, Rosenhaus isn't the biggest agency out there, not even close... #15. Creative Artists is far and away the biggest (Tom Condon their main sports guy), Followed by #2 Scott Boras, and it's debatable who's the bigger ass, Scott or Drew.  

                https://www.managerskills.org/sports/top-sports-talent-agencies/

                FlugelF 1 Reply Last reply
                👍
                Quote Reply
                • hoortaH hoorta

                  @the-gipper said:

                  Well....he screwed over Pryor from what I can see.   Why can't the players in this league see that?

                  You would think Gipper...  Maybe it's coming to pass that Rosenhaus is falling out of favor with athletes (incidentally, Drew also represents Antonio Brown) I did a bit of research, and to my suprise, Rosenhaus isn't the biggest agency out there, not even close... #15. Creative Artists is far and away the biggest (Tom Condon their main sports guy), Followed by #2 Scott Boras, and it's debatable who's the bigger ass, Scott or Drew.  

                  https://www.managerskills.org/sports/top-sports-talent-agencies/

                  Flugel FlugelF Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                  • 11k Posts
                  • 6k Reputation
                  FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
                  #28

                  @hoorta said:

                  You would think Gipper...  Maybe it's coming to pass that Rosenhaus is falling out of favor with athletes (incidentally, Drew also represents Antonio Brown) I did a bit of research, and to my suprise, Rosenhaus isn't the biggest agency out there, not even close... #15. Creative Artists is far and away the biggest (Tom Condon their main sports guy), Followed by #2 Scott Boras, and it's debatable who's the bigger ass, Scott or Drew.  

                  https://www.managerskills.org/sports/top-sports-talent-agencies/

                  Good stuff - thanks for sharing that Larry!

                  Drew Rosenhaus is a scum bag NFL teams need to avoid.  Where does Antonio Brown's salary rank among NFL WRs today/all time?   What's the FREAKIN problem?  He just wants "to play for a winner?"  Really?   Outside of NE, has any AFC team frequented the playoffs more than Pittsburgh?  Just out of curiosity, how many serious SB Contenders have the cap space available for the highest paid non-QB on the offensive side of the ball?

                  As we discussed, he was also Pryor's agent that did all he could to lead him away from the ONLY NFL team that CPR'd his NFL career. Now Pryor is just as MIA as Rosenhaus' other former Cleveland WR Potsy Gordon.  Not to be outdone, after Perriman finally found his first and only NFL niche - guess who can't wait to take his client elsewhere?  If he had a different agent, I think our FO would have made the effort to secure him longer term but I could be wrong on that.

                  I welcome the only Defensive Coordinator to earn a Superbowl Ring in New Orleans while understanding Revenge of the Nerds is a sequel. "Come get some!"
                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply

                  Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                  Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                  With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                  Register Login
                  Reply
                  • Reply as topic
                  Log in to reply
                  • Oldest to Newest
                  • Newest to Oldest
                  • Most Votes


                  Theme
                  • System
                  • Light
                  • Dark
                  The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                  The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                  • First post
                    Last post
                  0
                  • Forums
                  • Recent
                  • Popular
                  • Users
                  • Donate