Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Solution to Tanking??

Solution to Tanking??

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
29 Posts 18 Posters 857 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Z Zombo

    I don't think it's a problem in the NFL. We are the poster children for an NFL front office doing a scorched earth rebuild ala Astros/76ers at the NFL level, and it works a lot faster ... We blew up a 3-13 team, two years of suckitude til we found the QB, one year of promise and now the fanbase is crazed and waiting for opening kickoff and we're probably gonna have 5 primetime games.

    Would I go through 1-31 again to be where we are now? Yes.

    By the way, players don't tank. They don't want us to draft better players to take their jobs. But front offices do. And we had the perfect coach, because he was just clueless.

    Zombo

    --I think tanking is most painful in the NBA. I still want to watch a young football team or young baseball team develop young talent, but watching an NBA team spiral and hope for a ping pong ball isn't very sporting.

    darren15 darren15D Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
    • 4k Posts
    • 959 Reputation
    darren15D darren15 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Zombo said:

    I don't think it's a problem in the NFL. We are the poster children for an NFL front office doing a scorched earth rebuild ala Astros/76ers at the NFL level, and it works a lot faster ... We blew up a 3-13 team, two years of suckitude til we found the QB, one year of promise and now the fanbase is crazed and waiting for opening kickoff and we're probably gonna have 5 primetime games.

    Would I go through 1-31 again to be where we are now? Yes.

    By the way, players don't tank. They don't want us to draft better players to take their jobs. But front offices do. And we had the perfect coach, because he was just clueless.

    Zombo

    --I think tanking is most painful in the NBA. I still want to watch a young football team or young baseball team develop young talent, but watching an NBA team spiral and hope for a ping pong ball isn't very sporting.

    He didn't have a clhue

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • Z Zombo

      I don't think it's a problem in the NFL. We are the poster children for an NFL front office doing a scorched earth rebuild ala Astros/76ers at the NFL level, and it works a lot faster ... We blew up a 3-13 team, two years of suckitude til we found the QB, one year of promise and now the fanbase is crazed and waiting for opening kickoff and we're probably gonna have 5 primetime games.

      Would I go through 1-31 again to be where we are now? Yes.

      By the way, players don't tank. They don't want us to draft better players to take their jobs. But front offices do. And we had the perfect coach, because he was just clueless.

      Zombo

      --I think tanking is most painful in the NBA. I still want to watch a young football team or young baseball team develop young talent, but watching an NBA team spiral and hope for a ping pong ball isn't very sporting.

      gumby73 gumby73G Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
      • 11k Posts
      • 4k Reputation
      gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
      #22

      Zombo said:

      By the way, players don't tank. They don't want us to draft better players to take their jobs. But front offices do. 

      Zombo

      Example X Y & Z.. 9Ka7.gif        

      Browns & Buffett: Got to go fishin, Down to rock bottom again, with just a few Friends Team Brotherhood-"It's not about You,Me or I. It's about building We"..Hue Jackson
      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • secondwave S Conversation Starter Dedicated Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
        • 431 Posts
        • 50 Reputation
        S secondwave wrote on last edited by
        #23

        One solution I've heard is that the NFL has a draft lottery. But rather than the worst team having the best chance at landing the #1 pick, maybe every team that doesn't make the playoffs has even odds? It would certainly ensure that no team would tank for the worst record.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • Kvoethe KvoetheK Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
          • 3k Posts
          • 924 Reputation
          KvoetheK Kvoethe wrote on last edited by
          #24

          Air power is superior to tanking as well as some quality artillery

          The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • KvoetheK Kvoethe

            Air power is superior to tanking as well as some quality artillery

            The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
            • 57k Posts
            • 4k Reputation
            The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
            #25

            @kvoethe said:

            Air power is superior to tanking as well as some quality artillery

            Are you trying to start an Army vs. Air Force argument? 

            The poor Navy...it gets no  football metaphors.  For them their metaphors get confined to like water polo.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • Z Zombo

              I don't think it's a problem in the NFL. We are the poster children for an NFL front office doing a scorched earth rebuild ala Astros/76ers at the NFL level, and it works a lot faster ... We blew up a 3-13 team, two years of suckitude til we found the QB, one year of promise and now the fanbase is crazed and waiting for opening kickoff and we're probably gonna have 5 primetime games.

              Would I go through 1-31 again to be where we are now? Yes.

              By the way, players don't tank. They don't want us to draft better players to take their jobs. But front offices do. And we had the perfect coach, because he was just clueless.

              Zombo

              --I think tanking is most painful in the NBA. I still want to watch a young football team or young baseball team develop young talent, but watching an NBA team spiral and hope for a ping pong ball isn't very sporting.

              hoorta hoortaH Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
              • 20k Posts
              • 5k Reputation
              hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
              #26

              Zombo said:

              I don't think it's a problem in the NFL. We are the poster children for an NFL front office doing a scorched earth rebuild ala Astros/76ers at the NFL level, and it works a lot faster ... We blew up a 3-13 team, two years of suckitude til we found the QB, one year of promise and now the fanbase is crazed and waiting for opening kickoff and we're probably gonna have 5 primetime games.

              Would I go through 1-31 again to be where we are now? Yes.

              By the way, players don't tank. They don't want us to draft better players to take their jobs. But front offices do. And we had the perfect coach, because he was just clueless.

              Zombo

              --I think tanking is most painful in the NBA. I still want to watch a young football team or young baseball team develop young talent, but watching an NBA team spiral and hope for a ping pong ball isn't very sporting.

              Well, we did go through 1-31 to get to where we are. But I wouldn't want to repeat the process, as I'm running out of "wait till next years"- fast.  Way too many other teams haven't totally bottomed out, and then gone to the Super Bowl. And just going 0-16 isn't necessarily going to get you back to the top any faster either. Like the Browns, the once upon a time 0-16 Lions are still waiting for their first trip to the Big Game too.  

              The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • hoortaH hoorta

                Zombo said:

                I don't think it's a problem in the NFL. We are the poster children for an NFL front office doing a scorched earth rebuild ala Astros/76ers at the NFL level, and it works a lot faster ... We blew up a 3-13 team, two years of suckitude til we found the QB, one year of promise and now the fanbase is crazed and waiting for opening kickoff and we're probably gonna have 5 primetime games.

                Would I go through 1-31 again to be where we are now? Yes.

                By the way, players don't tank. They don't want us to draft better players to take their jobs. But front offices do. And we had the perfect coach, because he was just clueless.

                Zombo

                --I think tanking is most painful in the NBA. I still want to watch a young football team or young baseball team develop young talent, but watching an NBA team spiral and hope for a ping pong ball isn't very sporting.

                Well, we did go through 1-31 to get to where we are. But I wouldn't want to repeat the process, as I'm running out of "wait till next years"- fast.  Way too many other teams haven't totally bottomed out, and then gone to the Super Bowl. And just going 0-16 isn't necessarily going to get you back to the top any faster either. Like the Browns, the once upon a time 0-16 Lions are still waiting for their first trip to the Big Game too.  

                The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                • 57k Posts
                • 4k Reputation
                The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                #27

                @hoorta said:

                Well, we did go through 1-31 to get to where we are. But I wouldn't want to repeat the process, as I'm running out of "wait till next years"- fast.  Way too many other teams haven't totally bottomed out, and then gone to the Super Bowl. And just going 0-16 isn't necessarily going to get you back to the top any faster either. Like the Browns, the once upon a time 0-16 Lions are still waiting for their first trip to the Big Game too.  

                The Cowboys went from 1-15 to Super Bowl champs in like 2 years, no?

                In checking it was like this:

                1989  1-15...............2017....0-16

                1990 7-9..................2018...7-8-1

                1991 11-5 lost in  2 round......2019....?????

                1992 13-3  Won SB.......2020....Super Bowl!!!!

                1993 12-4 Won SB.....2021....Super Bowl!!!!!

                1994 12-4  Lost NFC title game......2022.Oops, tripped up[

                1995 12-4  Won SB..........2023  Super Bowl!!!

                I would take a run like that 😮😆

                T 1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • BobPOUND B
                  • 270 Posts
                  • 138 Reputation
                  B BobPOUND wrote on last edited by
                  #28

                  Worst team doesn't get a 1st round pick, but gets an extra 3rd 4th and 5th...    Make sure they aren't tanking just to get the prize college player that next year.. But not punish them for needed talent in the deeper rounds.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  ❤
                  Quote Reply
                  • The GipperT The Gipper

                    @hoorta said:

                    Well, we did go through 1-31 to get to where we are. But I wouldn't want to repeat the process, as I'm running out of "wait till next years"- fast.  Way too many other teams haven't totally bottomed out, and then gone to the Super Bowl. And just going 0-16 isn't necessarily going to get you back to the top any faster either. Like the Browns, the once upon a time 0-16 Lions are still waiting for their first trip to the Big Game too.  

                    The Cowboys went from 1-15 to Super Bowl champs in like 2 years, no?

                    In checking it was like this:

                    1989  1-15...............2017....0-16

                    1990 7-9..................2018...7-8-1

                    1991 11-5 lost in  2 round......2019....?????

                    1992 13-3  Won SB.......2020....Super Bowl!!!!

                    1993 12-4 Won SB.....2021....Super Bowl!!!!!

                    1994 12-4  Lost NFC title game......2022.Oops, tripped up[

                    1995 12-4  Won SB..........2023  Super Bowl!!!

                    I would take a run like that 😮😆

                    TexasAg1969 T Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                    • 23k Posts
                    • 6k Reputation
                    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
                    #29

                    @the-gipper said:

                    The Cowboys went from 1-15 to Super Bowl champs in like 2 years, no?

                    In checking it was like this:

                    1989  1-15...............2017....0-16

                    1990 7-9..................2018...7-8-1

                    1991 11-5 lost in  2 round......2019....?????

                    1992 13-3  Won SB.......2020....Super Bowl!!!!

                    1993 12-4 Won SB.....2021....Super Bowl!!!!!

                    1994 12-4  Lost NFC title game......2022.Oops, tripped up[

                    1995 12-4  Won SB..........2023  Super Bowl!!!

                    I would take a run like that 😮😆

                    Do we get extra credit and go up twice as fast for tanking 1-15 and 0-16 back to back??

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply

                    Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                    Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                    With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                    Register Login
                    Reply
                    • Reply as topic
                    Log in to reply
                    • Oldest to Newest
                    • Newest to Oldest
                    • Most Votes


                    Theme
                    • System
                    • Light
                    • Dark
                    The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                    The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                    • First post
                      Last post
                    0
                    • Forums
                    • Recent
                    • Popular
                    • Users
                    • Donate