Skip to content

Dayton and NFL 100

The Browns Board
22 4 716
  • @the-gipper said:

    NO,  it was Paul Brown who vetoed the use of the name Panthers for "his" team.   Because there had been a Cleveland Panthers before (in some league somewhere..not the NFL)  that were apparently big losers, and he did not want to be associated with that.

    He was the one who wanted the name, but then changed his mind when he found out someone still owned the name and they had a reputation of losing, so YES. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @dutch-oven said:

    He was the one who wanted the name, but then changed his mind when he found out someone still owned the name and they had a reputation of losing, so YES. 

    You know who the name was chosen and a fan vote it was not chosen by Paul Brown. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Barberton did not exist as a city before the 1890s.  It was formed out of land that once belonged to both Norton Twp. and Coventry Twp. (Norton formed in 1818...a full 70 years before Barberton existed).  But when it did form and when OC Barber put his operations here,  the town took off in both jobs and population...thus it became known as the Magic City  long before any of us were born.    And its color purple came from the fact that a lot of magicians wore purple robes....or other apparell with purple color.

    WRONG. 

    Well, the name Magics came from the "magical" growth of Barberton, so I guess I'll give you a little credit. Maybe a crumb of credit for this. A very little crumb. 

    Barberton High School's main color a long time ago was actually brown. A long time ago they needed a new curtain for their high school auditorium, and they found one for cheap, but the only problem was it was purple. They bought this huge curtain at a discount cost, grew to like the purple and changed the school's colors based on thrift. 

    (Being the trivia Nazi was fun! THE POWER HAS GONE TO MY HEAD! I RULE ALL! MUHAHAHAHAHA!) 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @dutch-oven said:

    WRONG. 

    Well, the name Magics came from the "magical" growth of Barberton, so I guess I'll give you a little credit. Maybe a crumb of credit for this. A very little crumb. 

    Barberton High School's main color a long time ago was actually brown. A long time ago they needed a new curtain for their high school auditorium, and they found one for cheap, but the only problem was it was purple. They bought this huge curtain at a discount cost, grew to like the purple and changed the school's colors based on thrift. 

    (Being the trivia Nazi was fun! THE POWER HAS GONE TO MY HEAD! I RULE ALL! MUHAHAHAHAHA!) 

    I thought you were asking because you didn’t know. And that’s the story I’ve never heard. But I doubt serious that is school whose nickname was Magic’s Would have brown has its colorWould have brown has its color