Left Tackle - Flugel Faves and Hopefuls
-
My order of upper faves has changed and it probably won't be the last time.
1. Andrew Thomas - This won't change and I'm bummed he won't last until #10 overall. Here's a video of him broken down by Voch Lombardi who points out a correctable bad pass pro habit with his hands he thinks is being taught at UGA (when he shows the RT doing it too).
2. Jedrick Wills Jr - I had been changing frequently between Wills and Wirfs; but now Josh Jones is the guy that will tempt preference at 2.
3. Josh Jones - I always say when you visit an area that intrigues you - take a Tour Guide so you don't miss the best details. This was no different. I took Tour's Guide and found a lot to like from the 4 year starter at Left Tackle.
4. Tristan Wirfs - Is he like the band who thinks they're Better than Ezra? If not, we could be going BPA at #10 if the 1st 3 fellers and/or Becton have already been selected. For being the only OL to start as a freshman for our former OL coach Kirk Ferentz - I thought he'd offer us more hope to the Joe Thomas sized hole at LT in Cleveland. Unfortunately, he looks like a better candidate to play the RT position he played most often in college. Not saying LT is impossible with the type of strength and athleticism he displayed in Indy - it's just that all the stars and planets would have to align themselves for it to happen.
Here's a video comparing Wills and Wirfs.
5. Mekhi Becton - I might have really under-estimated this guy. Gee, there's a surprise. He's raw but he's put some goodies on film for the right NFL OL Coach to mold. I'm going to show a couple sets of highlights - first one is narrated by Voch Lombardi. The second one is just a collage of opponents that should have been narrated by Bill Withers singing Lean on Me. What I don't know from watching just 2 videos is if he's a good fit for a zbs or if he's ready for blind side pass pro in the NFL. I could see him playing RT for somebody like Orlando Brown ended up doing in Baltimore (already has 1 Pro Bowl appearance) in spite of his bench presses like a girl scout episode.
My order of upper faves has changed and it probably won't be the last time.
1. Andrew Thomas
2. Jedrick Wills Jr
3. Josh Jones
4. Tristan Wirfs
5. Mekhi Becton
3rd and Final List of my favorite LEFT Tackle prospects...
1. Andrew Thomas
2. Jedrick Wills Jr (Joe Thomas' selection for us at #10 over Andrew Thomas in today's NFL Channel Mock Draft.)
3. Josh Jones
4. Matt Peart
5. Alex Taylor (I'm 5'9" unless I'm arguing with Zombo - and this guy is a foot taller than me)
This is only my thinking at a fraction of the research that our FO and Scouts have put into it. If the first 2 or 3 are gone at #10 - we can go BPA or trade back. If we trade back, we may still have a shot at Jones in round 1. If we miss him, we can take BPA or trade back again. Shortly after round 1 (and/or with a short trade back), we should have a great chance to draft Peart. Later on, we can go after Taylor if we haven't landed a LT yet. If we do either of the last 2 choices - this plan should include us signing FA LT Jason Peters.
I think Tristan Wirfs will be an excellent OL - I'm just not sure if he'll be a RT or OG yet. He's the only OL that started as a true freshman since Ferentz arrived at Iowa. I also like what I've read/heard about the work ethic, which helps explain the results he achieved at the Indy Combines.
Unfortunately, I just learned some of the reason PFF is less than thrilled with Becton. I was willing to swim against the current for him; but I'm not willing to go kid on the yellow raft in shark infested waters (ie; the movie Jaws) for him.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login