Skip to content

Can't wait

The Browns Board
29 10 649 1
  • @tour2ma said:

    Ex In-laws used to live in Blue Ash(?) IIRC... about 20 traffic-free minutes or so up the interstate from downtown.

    Saw a few games in old Riverfront in the late 70s and 80s. The baseball was good, but the Brats and Hudys were better.

    I work a few miles away from Blue Ash, which is one of the nicer (richer) suburbs of Cincy.

    Riverfront was a dump, but I think you'd enjoy catching a game at GABP. I know the Indians come down here for Interleague play every year; i've been to several Reds-Indians games. I've also been to a couple Reds-Astros games, but that was before the Astros switched to the AL. Haven't been to a Reds-Rangers game at all.

    @jbluhm86 said:

    Blue Ash, which is one of the nicer (richer) suburbs of Cincy.

    I never noticed that... 😉

    Ex-Dad-in-law was a biggish wig with Allied Chemical where he "fixed" broken plants... Day 1 arrive and fire Plant Manager... Day 2 figure out who else needs to be fired type stuff.

    He retired early to study Industrial Hygiene at U of C. At the time he was certified he was one of only a thousand or so in the nation. He joined Sloan-Kettering as an Adjunct Professor and mostly did field work consulting with small Ohio businesses who couldn't afford a full-time IH person.

    He was a gruff, intense, WWII vet (part of the German occupation force and survivor of a torpedoed troop transport). He loved food and would sweat when he ate... he loved dark beer... He passed maybe 20 years ago...

    I miss him.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Ex In-laws used to live in Blue Ash(?) IIRC... about 20 traffic-free minutes or so up the interstate from downtown.

    Saw a few games in old Riverfront in the late 70s and 80s. The baseball was good, but the Brats and Hudys were better.

    I work a few miles away from Blue Ash, which is one of the nicer (richer) suburbs of Cincy.

    Riverfront was a dump, but I think you'd enjoy catching a game at GABP. I know the Indians come down here for Interleague play every year; i've been to several Reds-Indians games. I've also been to a couple Reds-Astros games, but that was before the Astros switched to the AL. Haven't been to a Reds-Rangers game at all.

    @jbluhm86 said:

    I work a few miles away from Blue Ash, which is one of the nicer (richer) suburbs of Cincy.

    Riverfront was a dump, but I think you'd enjoy catching a game at GABP. I know the Indians come down here for Interleague play every year; i've been to several Reds-Indians games. I've also been to a couple Reds-Astros games, but that was before the Astros switched to the AL. Haven't been to a Reds-Rangers game at all.

    GABP was a pretty good place to catch a game. I didn't like it as much as Progressive Field or PNC Park, but it still is a nice park. Great location. Surprisingly great spicy mustard! (Unlike PNC, which only has generic yellow mustard). Biggest surprise was that Big Boy's has concession stands in GABP. Big Boy is a thing of the past here in NE Ohio, but they are still kicking down near Cincinnati. Stayed downtown, really enjoyed my time there. (2018)

  • @jbluhm86 said:

    I work a few miles away from Blue Ash, which is one of the nicer (richer) suburbs of Cincy.

    Riverfront was a dump, but I think you'd enjoy catching a game at GABP. I know the Indians come down here for Interleague play every year; i've been to several Reds-Indians games. I've also been to a couple Reds-Astros games, but that was before the Astros switched to the AL. Haven't been to a Reds-Rangers game at all.

    GABP was a pretty good place to catch a game. I didn't like it as much as Progressive Field or PNC Park, but it still is a nice park. Great location. Surprisingly great spicy mustard! (Unlike PNC, which only has generic yellow mustard). Biggest surprise was that Big Boy's has concession stands in GABP. Big Boy is a thing of the past here in NE Ohio, but they are still kicking down near Cincinnati. Stayed downtown, really enjoyed my time there. (2018)

    @dutch-oven said:

    Big Boy is a thing of the past here in NE Ohio

    I knew Manner's was long gone, but doesn't seem that long ago that I stopped at what looked to be a new Kip's(?) somewhere around Youngstown. Maybe 7 years ago?

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Big Boy is a thing of the past here in NE Ohio

    I knew Manner's was long gone, but doesn't seem that long ago that I stopped at what looked to be a new Kip's(?) somewhere around Youngstown. Maybe 7 years ago?

    @tour2ma said:

    I knew Manner's was long gone, but doesn't seem that long ago that I stopped at what looked to be a new Kip's(?) somewhere around Youngstown. Maybe 7 years ago?

    There used to be a Kippie's  restaurant chain....but as far as I know they have been gone around here since the 80s.  Don't know if there is a holdover there in Y-town.

    It's like Isaly's....thought they were long gone,  but one hung around forever in Stow.  Not sure if it is still there or not. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    I knew Manner's was long gone, but doesn't seem that long ago that I stopped at what looked to be a new Kip's(?) somewhere around Youngstown. Maybe 7 years ago?

    There used to be a Kippie's  restaurant chain....but as far as I know they have been gone around here since the 80s.  Don't know if there is a holdover there in Y-town.

    It's like Isaly's....thought they were long gone,  but one hung around forever in Stow.  Not sure if it is still there or not. 

    @the-gipper said:

    There used to be a Kippie's  restaurant chain....but as far as I know they have been gone around here since the 80s.  Don't know if there is a holdover there in Y-town.

    It's like Isaly's....thought they were long gone,  but one hung around forever in Stow.  Not sure if it is still there or not. 

    None in the Youngstown/Warren area that I know of.

    Ohio has always been a good test area for franchises, new foods, etc.   Has to do with the Midwest style and tastes.  Also big in call centers because of our "non-accent" area desired by companies......no kidding.

  • @the-gipper said:

    There used to be a Kippie's  restaurant chain....but as far as I know they have been gone around here since the 80s.  Don't know if there is a holdover there in Y-town.

    It's like Isaly's....thought they were long gone,  but one hung around forever in Stow.  Not sure if it is still there or not. 

    None in the Youngstown/Warren area that I know of.

    Ohio has always been a good test area for franchises, new foods, etc.   Has to do with the Midwest style and tastes.  Also big in call centers because of our "non-accent" area desired by companies......no kidding.

    @mjp28 said:

    None in the Youngstown/Warren area that I know of.

    Ohio has always been a good test area for franchises, new foods, etc.   Has to do with the Midwest style and tastes.  Also big in call centers because of our "non-accent" area desired by companies......no kidding.

    Yes, I guess.  In fact, there was call center that took up an entire floor of the building where I had my office for years, before I shut it down.

  • @mjp28 said:

    None in the Youngstown/Warren area that I know of.

    Ohio has always been a good test area for franchises, new foods, etc.   Has to do with the Midwest style and tastes.  Also big in call centers because of our "non-accent" area desired by companies......no kidding.

    Yes, I guess.  In fact, there was call center that took up an entire floor of the building where I had my office for years, before I shut it down.

    @the-gipper said:

    Yes, I guess.  In fact, there was call center that took up an entire floor of the building where I had my office for years, before I shut it down.

    Was it your diet?  Should have tried less gassy food.

  • Meanwhile I'm watching the STO replay of the 1997 ALCS Cleveland in Baltimore followed by cruse-in car shows and Monday morning 7am Cleveland Indians replays Begin again.

    Retro sports is here!

  • @the-gipper said:

    Yes, I guess.  In fact, there was call center that took up an entire floor of the building where I had my office for years, before I shut it down.

    Was it your diet?  Should have tried less gassy food.

    @mjp28 said:

    Was it your diet?  Should have tried less gassy food.

    I have no clue what you are talking about.   I was referring to a call center in my building.