Skip to content

Bobby Mitchell passes away at age of 84

The Browns Board
26 8 405
  • @the-gipper said:

    Yes, those guys named after Jackson....who was PBs first round pick in 1962.   Scott etc.  (again....why draft a RB in round one when you have the Greatest ever playing for you?)  ...are post  Paul Brown.    I was just talking about guys they took at some point to replace/supplement JB)

    One day I might look at several coaches and compare their drafting record. I mean it goes without saying how important drafting is but no one really compares coaches' drafting records that much. I did do that with Belichick and Walsh and a couple of other modern-day coaches (forget who) and Walsh beat all of them in terms of percentage of Pro Bowl players and HOFers he chose. Would like to see how he stands up against Noll.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @barry said:

    One day I might look at several coaches and compare their drafting record. I mean it goes without saying how important drafting is but no one really compares coaches' drafting records that much. I did do that with Belichick and Walsh and a couple of other modern-day coaches (forget who) and Walsh beat all of them in terms of percentage of Pro Bowl players and HOFers he chose. Would like to see how he stands up against Noll.

    Well....the thing is, it is not so much the coaches that are doing the drafting.   Some do...you noted BB and Walsh.  And certainly I assume most coaches have input if not direct say into who is being drafted.....expecially in early rounds. 

  • @barry said:

    One day I might look at several coaches and compare their drafting record. I mean it goes without saying how important drafting is but no one really compares coaches' drafting records that much. I did do that with Belichick and Walsh and a couple of other modern-day coaches (forget who) and Walsh beat all of them in terms of percentage of Pro Bowl players and HOFers he chose. Would like to see how he stands up against Noll.

    Well....the thing is, it is not so much the coaches that are doing the drafting.   Some do...you noted BB and Walsh.  And certainly I assume most coaches have input if not direct say into who is being drafted.....expecially in early rounds. 

    BarryB Barry wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @the-gipper said:

    Well....the thing is, it is not so much the coaches that are doing the drafting.   Some do...you noted BB and Walsh.  And certainly I assume most coaches have input if not direct say into who is being drafted.....expecially in early rounds. 

    It wouldn't be perfect but still interesting, though I would guess coaches had more say in the 60s-70s, before things got so segmented. Another factor would be if success is defined by a player making a Pro- Bowl, it was a lot easier to make it back then, when there were less teams. But hell, it's the off-season!

  • I still feel that the Browns' backfield of Jimmy Brown & Bobby Mitchell was the best I've ever seen.

    RIP Bobby!

    Mike 

    Warfield FanW Warfield Fan wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @canton-mike said:

    I still feel that the Browns' backfield of Jimmy Brown & Bobby Mitchell was the best I've ever seen.

    RIP Bobby!

    Mike 

    I totally agree.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #24

    I still feel that the Browns' backfield of Jimmy Brown & Bobby Mitchell was the best I've ever seen.

    RIP Bobby!

    Mike 

    I totally agree.

    Are there any other backfield pairs where both made the HOF?

    Off the top of my head there was the contemporary duo of  Jim Taylor/Paul Hornung.

    Oh, and there was this,  a QB plus THREE  RBs all in the same backfield that made the HOF:

    The Million Dollar Backfield was a National Football League (NFL) offensive backfield of the San Francisco 49ers from 1954 to 1956. Featuringquarterback Y. A. Tittle, halfbacks Hugh McElhenny and John Henry Johnson, and fullback Joe Perry,

    Any others?

  • I still feel that the Browns' backfield of Jimmy Brown & Bobby Mitchell was the best I've ever seen.

    RIP Bobby!

    Mike 

    I totally agree.

    Are there any other backfield pairs where both made the HOF?

    Off the top of my head there was the contemporary duo of  Jim Taylor/Paul Hornung.

    Oh, and there was this,  a QB plus THREE  RBs all in the same backfield that made the HOF:

    The Million Dollar Backfield was a National Football League (NFL) offensive backfield of the San Francisco 49ers from 1954 to 1956. Featuringquarterback Y. A. Tittle, halfbacks Hugh McElhenny and John Henry Johnson, and fullback Joe Perry,

    Any others?

    BarryB Barry wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @the-gipper said:

    I still feel that the Browns' backfield of Jimmy Brown & Bobby Mitchell was the best I've ever seen.

    RIP Bobby!

    Mike 

    I totally agree.

    Are there any other backfield pairs where both made the HOF?

    Off the top of my head there was the contemporary duo of  Jim Taylor/Paul Hornung.

    Oh, and there was this,  a QB plus THREE  RBs all in the same backfield that made the HOF:

    The Million Dollar Backfield was a National Football League (NFL) offensive backfield of the San Francisco 49ers from 1954 to 1956. Featuringquarterback Y. A. Tittle, halfbacks Hugh McElhenny and John Henry Johnson, and fullback Joe Perry,

    Any others?

    It was only for 3 years but the LA Raiders had Marcus Allen and Bo Jackson in the same backfield (1987-90). Bo would have been in the HOF had he not gotten injured.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I still feel that the Browns' backfield of Jimmy Brown & Bobby Mitchell was the best I've ever seen.

    RIP Bobby!

    Mike 

    I totally agree.

    Are there any other backfield pairs where both made the HOF?

    Off the top of my head there was the contemporary duo of  Jim Taylor/Paul Hornung.

    Oh, and there was this,  a QB plus THREE  RBs all in the same backfield that made the HOF:

    The Million Dollar Backfield was a National Football League (NFL) offensive backfield of the San Francisco 49ers from 1954 to 1956. Featuringquarterback Y. A. Tittle, halfbacks Hugh McElhenny and John Henry Johnson, and fullback Joe Perry,

    Any others?

    It was only for 3 years but the LA Raiders had Marcus Allen and Bo Jackson in the same backfield (1987-90). Bo would have been in the HOF had he not gotten injured.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @barry said:

    It was only for 3 years but the LA Raiders had Marcus Allen and Bo Jackson in the same backfield (1987-90). Bo would have been in the HOF had he not gotten injured.

    Well, OK, maybe.   Or, maybe if he had spent those couple of years in the NFL instead of playing baseball.   

    Or  baseball fans could say that if he had not played football and just stuck to baseball, he would have had a HOF career there,  and not have gotten the hip injury that he did.