Donovan Peoples-Jones
-
-
Soccer's "popularity" comes from the fact that it costs virtually nothing to play. That's it.
And/or as Zombo would say: from gays because soccer is gay.
-
At least he is not gay.
-
EVRERYTHING you say about fucking soccer is opinionated Rubbish.
Right...your point is no point at all.
Average attendance at 34 soccer games like 21,000. Average baseball attendence for a game where they play 162 games was over 28,000. Both sports actually had declines in attendance in 2019......except Soccer had a bigger percentage of decline. (baseball problem with this decline was primarily attributable to the Miami two Florida market. TB and Miami. It just is not working there for some reason, though you would think it would because of the big Hispanic population)
Yeah- average attendance figures. When back in the suck years, the Indians struggled many times to draw 1,000 fans to a game, unless they gave away nickel beer. Miami should try that.
Your point is when someone presents some facts at how lousy the "former" National pastime is doing, you conveniently change the subject.
I wasn't talking about soccer vis a vis baseball. I'm talking- and Woody backed it up, only a small minority of Americans now consider baseball their favorite spot, and my nursing home comment stands. If the average age of MLB fans is 57, well count my 91 year old Mom in that group. Or you miss it that the under 18 crowd to a large part could care less about baseball?
Just face it Gipper- the interest in baseball is decreasing, and the interest in soccer is increasing.
2I wasn't talking about soccer vis a vis baseball. I'm talking- and Woody backed it up, only a small minority of Americans now consider baseball their favorite spot, and my nursing home comment stands. If the average age of MLB fans is 57, well count my 91 year old Mom in that group. Or you miss it that the under 18 crowd to a large part could care less about baseball?
Just face it Gipper- the interest in baseball is decreasing, and the interest in soccer is increasing.
Exactly. I was providing evidence and making the point that baseball popularity is falling. Not comparing it to soccer in any way. But Gip realizes changing it to that comparison is his best chance to "win" the argument.
-
This is still going... ?
You ever notice that soccer fan always goes after baseball, when the sports have nothing to do with each other?
If anything, soccer is more comparable to football, basketball or hockey.
And those sports are far superior. Soccer's "popularity" comes from the fact that it costs virtually nothing to play. That's it.
This is still going... ?
You ever notice that soccer fan always goes after baseball, when the sports have nothing to do with each other?
If anything, soccer is more comparable nd those sports are far superior. Soccer's "popularity" comes from the fact that it costs virtually nothing to play. That's it.
My ass is far superior than your brain.
Soccer is more popular (no "",it's a fact) worldwide because as you said it's easier to play. Also, basketball almost is quite affordable and hasn't reached soccer levels. Soccer came first and became most popular sport, with the most competition. If you want to be among the best soccer players r, you compete with many more millions of people than in any other sport.
If we had to name a sport "superior", which is a stupid adjective because there's only opinion after that, it should be soccer.
I don't like players flopping, I even prefer American Football, but I feel that with this, like with other subjects, some people go Team America mode and call soccer gay and boring simply only because it's not "american".
I sincerely don't care if soccer surpasses baseball or not, and I don't enjoy that younger generations play soccer instead of football. The US has different sports than many other countries and it's fine, that's what makes you different. But turning against the most followed sport in the world and constantly insulting it (I don't care if you don't like it, I barely follow it nowadays) or calling it a "lesser (correct adjective?) sport" makes people look like stupid red, blue and white Uncle Sams.
-
This is still going... ?
You ever notice that soccer fan always goes after baseball, when the sports have nothing to do with each other?
If anything, soccer is more comparable nd those sports are far superior. Soccer's "popularity" comes from the fact that it costs virtually nothing to play. That's it.
My ass is far superior than your brain.
Soccer is more popular (no "",it's a fact) worldwide because as you said it's easier to play. Also, basketball almost is quite affordable and hasn't reached soccer levels. Soccer came first and became most popular sport, with the most competition. If you want to be among the best soccer players r, you compete with many more millions of people than in any other sport.
If we had to name a sport "superior", which is a stupid adjective because there's only opinion after that, it should be soccer.
I don't like players flopping, I even prefer American Football, but I feel that with this, like with other subjects, some people go Team America mode and call soccer gay and boring simply only because it's not "american".
I sincerely don't care if soccer surpasses baseball or not, and I don't enjoy that younger generations play soccer instead of football. The US has different sports than many other countries and it's fine, that's what makes you different. But turning against the most followed sport in the world and constantly insulting it (I don't care if you don't like it, I barely follow it nowadays) or calling it a "lesser (correct adjective?) sport" makes people look like stupid red, blue and white Uncle Sams.
My ass is far superior than your brain.
Soccer is more popular (no "",it's a fact) worldwide because as you said it's easier to play. Also, basketball almost is quite affordable. Soccer came first and became most popular sport, with the most competition. If you want to be among the best football player, you compete with many more millions of people than in any other sport.
If we had to name a sport "superior", which is a stupid adjective because there's only opinion after that, it should be soccer.
I don't like players flopping, I even prefer American Football, but I feel that with this, like with other subjects, some peoole go Team America mode and call soccer gay and boring simoly because it's not "american".
Soccer is not gay and boring because it is not American. (It was more or less invented by the Ancient Chinese...though I think it was Britain that created it in its current configuration.) But Soccer is gay and boring because it is gay and boring. (gay being used in the "weak or lame" meaning of the word) The British Empire exported it during the 1800s because, well, that is what the British Empire did: exploit peoples of other lands and enforce their culture upon them. While they did that a lot certainly with US.....we threw off those bonds through Revolution, and yea, we began our own brands of sport...though, yea, some of them derived from British sports (Rounders: baseball, rugby: football). But we vastly improved upon them. There can be American sports that are gay and boring. NASCAR racing is to me not just gay and boring....but terribly pointless.
But it certainly is not by any means "superior" to any other sport inherently.
Ice hockey...which IS essentially the same game.....(and is by no means American....ask Canada).... is a more beautiful sport...in my opinion (I guess it depends on what you mean by superior). The field of play is pretty much the same exact configuration just smaller in dimension and a different playing surface. It is Faster, with the same/similar strategies in terms of setting up to attack a goal.
-
Soccer's "popularity" comes from the fact that it costs virtually nothing to play. That's it.
and baseball's comes from nursing homes
and baseball's comes from nursing homes
And when I go to a nursing home to converse with fellow baseball fans, I'll ask them if they can tell me stories about when Michigan had a quality football team.
-
This is still going... ?
You ever notice that soccer fan always goes after baseball, when the sports have nothing to do with each other?
If anything, soccer is more comparable nd those sports are far superior. Soccer's "popularity" comes from the fact that it costs virtually nothing to play. That's it.
My ass is far superior than your brain.
Soccer is more popular (no "",it's a fact) worldwide because as you said it's easier to play. Also, basketball almost is quite affordable and hasn't reached soccer levels. Soccer came first and became most popular sport, with the most competition. If you want to be among the best soccer players r, you compete with many more millions of people than in any other sport.
If we had to name a sport "superior", which is a stupid adjective because there's only opinion after that, it should be soccer.
I don't like players flopping, I even prefer American Football, but I feel that with this, like with other subjects, some people go Team America mode and call soccer gay and boring simply only because it's not "american".
I sincerely don't care if soccer surpasses baseball or not, and I don't enjoy that younger generations play soccer instead of football. The US has different sports than many other countries and it's fine, that's what makes you different. But turning against the most followed sport in the world and constantly insulting it (I don't care if you don't like it, I barely follow it nowadays) or calling it a "lesser (correct adjective?) sport" makes people look like stupid red, blue and white Uncle Sams.
I don't like players flopping, I even prefer American Football, but I feel that with this, like with other subjects, some people go Team America mode and call soccer gay and boring simply only because it's not "american".
I don't call things "gay" to insult them because I don't think of "gay" as being a negative. My knuckles do not drag on the ground when I walk.
Soccer is boring because it is boring, IMO. If it was invented by George Washington as he ate a piece of apple pie while crossing the Potomac it wouldn't make it one iota more interesting.
-
This is still going... ?
You ever notice that soccer fan always goes after baseball, when the sports have nothing to do with each other?
If anything, soccer is more comparable nd those sports are far superior. Soccer's "popularity" comes from the fact that it costs virtually nothing to play. That's it.
My ass is far superior than your brain.
Soccer is more popular (no "",it's a fact) worldwide because as you said it's easier to play. Also, basketball almost is quite affordable and hasn't reached soccer levels. Soccer came first and became most popular sport, with the most competition. If you want to be among the best soccer players r, you compete with many more millions of people than in any other sport.
If we had to name a sport "superior", which is a stupid adjective because there's only opinion after that, it should be soccer.
I don't like players flopping, I even prefer American Football, but I feel that with this, like with other subjects, some people go Team America mode and call soccer gay and boring simply only because it's not "american".
I sincerely don't care if soccer surpasses baseball or not, and I don't enjoy that younger generations play soccer instead of football. The US has different sports than many other countries and it's fine, that's what makes you different. But turning against the most followed sport in the world and constantly insulting it (I don't care if you don't like it, I barely follow it nowadays) or calling it a "lesser (correct adjective?) sport" makes people look like stupid red, blue and white Uncle Sams.
I don't like players flopping, I even prefer American Football, but I feel that with this, like with other subjects, some people go Team America mode and call soccer gay and boring simply only because it's not "american".
Of course there's some of that. But even more than that it's because many of us 'older' Americans didn't play it at all as kids....or watch it....or nothin'.
To me, soccer and hockey are the same...with hockey being a smaller, more brutal version. And quite frankly, I can't watch either of them. It's a whole lot of back and forth with never any points being scored.
Having said that, I do understand that the most popular sport in the world is soccer. It's just that it doesn't matter to me that it's popular.
....just for the record, I kinda' like the nickname 'Peeps'.
-
I don't like players flopping, I even prefer American Football, but I feel that with this, like with other subjects, some people go Team America mode and call soccer gay and boring simply only because it's not "american".
Of course there's some of that. But even more than that it's because many of us 'older' Americans didn't play it at all as kids....or watch it....or nothin'.
To me, soccer and hockey are the same...with hockey being a smaller, more brutal version. And quite frankly, I can't watch either of them. It's a whole lot of back and forth with never any points being scored.
Having said that, I do understand that the most popular sport in the world is soccer. It's just that it doesn't matter to me that it's popular.
....just for the record, I kinda' like the nickname 'Peeps'.
-
-
-
Peoples Jones is certainly a man for the PeePs....includes soccer, baseball, football, hockey, Nero's empty gardens(johnny), gays, not gays, Nascar... let's keep this thing rollin for the Peeps...
Peoples Jones is certainly a man for the PeePs....includes soccer, baseball, football, hockey, Nero's empty gardens(johnny), gays, not gays, Nascar... let's keep this thing rollin for the Peeps...
Pages in category "Sports originating in the United States"
The following 62 pages are in this category, out of 62 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
S
-
I don't like players flopping, I even prefer American Football, but I feel that with this, like with other subjects, some people go Team America mode and call soccer gay and boring simply only because it's not "american".
I don't call things "gay" to insult them because I don't think of "gay" as being a negative. My knuckles do not drag on the ground when I walk.
Soccer is boring because it is boring, IMO. If it was invented by George Washington as he ate a piece of apple pie while crossing the Potomac it wouldn't make it one iota more interesting.
I don't call things "gay" to insult them because I don't think of "gay" as being a negative. My knuckles do not drag on the ground when I walk.
Soccer is boring because it is boring, IMO. If it was invented by George Washington as he ate a piece of apple pie while crossing the Potomac it wouldn't make it one iota more interesting.
Only from your POV. And I totally respect the fact a lot of the old (or not so old) fuddy duddies think soccer is monumentally boring. The other side of the coin is by the same token, plenty of folks tune into a baseball game when they need to take a nap, it's so freaking boring.
I've said it before- I played competitive tennis for years on the collegiate level, and 90% of the time I can barely stand to tune into a Grand Slam Tournament for lack of interest. And trust me- I know exactly what those guys are trying to do. To parallel Gip's analogy- every time a ball gets hit on a tennis court there's a chance for a spectacular shot. Yawn....
-
I don't like players flopping, I even prefer American Football, but I feel that with this, like with other subjects, some people go Team America mode and call soccer gay and boring simply only because it's not "american".
I don't call things "gay" to insult them because I don't think of "gay" as being a negative. My knuckles do not drag on the ground when I walk.
Soccer is boring because it is boring, IMO. If it was invented by George Washington as he ate a piece of apple pie while crossing the Potomac it wouldn't make it one iota more interesting.
I don't call things "gay" to insult them because I don't think of "gay" as being a negative. My knuckles do not drag on the ground when I walk.
What a concept, right? Gip's like a middle school kid from 15 years ago
-
I don't call things "gay" to insult them because I don't think of "gay" as being a negative. My knuckles do not drag on the ground when I walk.
What a concept, right? Gip's like a middle school kid from 15 years ago
What a concept, right? Gip's like a middle school kid from 15 years ago
This doesn't just apply to him on this board.
-
This is still going... ?
You ever notice that soccer fan always goes after baseball, when the sports have nothing to do with each other?
If anything, soccer is more comparable nd those sports are far superior. Soccer's "popularity" comes from the fact that it costs virtually nothing to play. That's it.
My ass is far superior than your brain.
Soccer is more popular (no "",it's a fact) worldwide because as you said it's easier to play. Also, basketball almost is quite affordable and hasn't reached soccer levels. Soccer came first and became most popular sport, with the most competition. If you want to be among the best soccer players r, you compete with many more millions of people than in any other sport.
If we had to name a sport "superior", which is a stupid adjective because there's only opinion after that, it should be soccer.
I don't like players flopping, I even prefer American Football, but I feel that with this, like with other subjects, some people go Team America mode and call soccer gay and boring simply only because it's not "american".
I sincerely don't care if soccer surpasses baseball or not, and I don't enjoy that younger generations play soccer instead of football. The US has different sports than many other countries and it's fine, that's what makes you different. But turning against the most followed sport in the world and constantly insulting it (I don't care if you don't like it, I barely follow it nowadays) or calling it a "lesser (correct adjective?) sport" makes people look like stupid red, blue and white Uncle Sams.
-
Team America!
Great movie. Watched it as a kid with my friends and we had a blast. I couldn't stop laughing when Matt Damon talked.
-
I don't call things "gay" to insult them because I don't think of "gay" as being a negative. My knuckles do not drag on the ground when I walk.
What a concept, right? Gip's like a middle school kid from 15 years ago
What a concept, right? Gip's like a middle school kid from 15 years ago
Sorry if you can’t handle someone else’s opinions. I’m sorry that you can’t stand the history of America. I’m not sure why you feel so threatened by baseball.
-
I think one point that might be getting missed here re: baseball is the assumption that everyone watching a sport wants to be glued to their seat with excitement for the whole game. Fuck all that. The ebb and flow and relative relaxed nature of baseball is one of the things l enjoy about it.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
