Donovan Peoples-Jones
-
Hahaha yeah
When I think of a lawyer I definitely think of something out there "solving problems"
-
No it was 100% a guess. I'd never heard of the term until you said it. I just used context clues....
Or, maybe it was in the back of your mind somewhere, and when it was mentioned here it slipped to the front of your mind.
Nevertheless....as noted, it was pretty much exclusively and Akron thing because, aren't you originally from like a Cleveland area suburb? And you say you have never heard of it. So, it was not a Cleveland thing, or Columbus or elsewhere. (however, I do think that someone....here or elsewhere, like on Facebook, said they were from Toledo and that the term was used there some).
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Devil's Strip
Or, maybe it was in the back of your mind somewhere, and when it was mentioned here it slipped to the front of your mind.
Nevertheless....as noted, it was pretty much exclusively and Akron thing because, aren't you originally from like a Cleveland area suburb? And you say you have never heard of it. So, it was not a Cleveland thing, or Columbus or elsewhere. (however, I do think that someone....here or elsewhere, like on Facebook, said they were from Toledo and that the term was used there some).
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Devil's Strip
We used the term devils strip here in Stark County(Canton/Massillon) as well!
-
Hahaha yeah
When I think of a lawyer I definitely think of something out there "solving problems"
Hahaha yeah
When I think of a lawyer I definitely think of something out there "solving problems"
Yes....that is exactly what lawyers do. Or attempt to do.
Though what you probably think is that lawyers also create problems for others. Even that is not exactly true. It is the Lawyers' clients that create the problems for others. The lawyers are only the implements by which these clients seek redress or remedy of the problem they bring to the lawyers.
When you obtain more life experience, you will understand this.
I don't know what kind of engineering you may do, but I assume that you consider yourself a professional. Would you expect to see any Joe Blow off the street to perform the professional tasks that you perform in your occupation? I don't think so.
And would you want your fellow civil/electrical/mechanical/whatever engineer handling your divorce for you? Or to defend you from criminal allegations, or professional malpractice allegations? I don't think so.
-
-
-
-
-
-
Nope, see above, all perspective.
Damn it, I expected more fireworks. Well played.
-
The job of a lawyer is to argue for their client. Even if their client isn't correct. They're trained to argue. Doesn't matter for what.
They aren't solving problems.
Again, that's the bigger issue with politicians IMO
-
-
The job of a lawyer is to argue for their client. Even if their client isn't correct. They're trained to argue. Doesn't matter for what.
They aren't solving problems.
Again, that's the bigger issue with politicians IMO
The job of a lawyer is to argue for their client. Even if their client isn't correct. They're trained to argue. Doesn't matter for what.
They aren't solving problems.
Well that shows that you have about as much of a clue of what lawyers do as the person who says that the job of all engineers is to drive a train.
We are trained to advocate, but trust me, we know what we are advocating for. And also trust me that the problems that exist that lawyers deal with DO get solved, be it that they are settled or decided, they ARE solved. I do not have a single file in my 40 years that did not result in a resolution. And yet, even that is a small portion of what lawyers do. There is far, far more counseling, advising and negotiating that goes on than "arguing".
-
Resolution isn't solution
Advocating isn't problem solving
-
I'm starting to think Woody is Gipper's son.
-
Resolution isn't solution
That is pure ignorance. And just plain wrong. When you resolve a dispute, you come to a solution. At least on Planet Earth.
Advocating isn't problem solving
But it leads to solving problems. Trust me.
That is like saying that there is no math problem that can be solved by doing either addition, subtraction, multiplication or division.
Maybe I was too kind to you when I laid off about you attending the school you did. If you don't understand the basics of human nature, of conflict resolution...you must be living in some kind of a bubble.
-
I'm starting to think Woody is Gipper's son.
I'm starting to think Woody is Gipper's son.
No. My son...who I think is not far off Woody's age, has both more academic smarts and common sense. He understands that there are different disciplines, and that with those different disciplines have different methods by which "problems" are solved.
I mean, take a custody dispute. He has no clue how such a thing would be resolved...or how to arrive at a solution to the differing positions that two parties may take over such a matter that does not involve advocacy and negotiation. Maybe he has come up with some magic mathematical equation that resolves it. If so....he needs to advise the Ohio Supreme Court.
-
I'm starting to think Woody is Gipper's son.
No. My son...who I think is not far off Woody's age, has both more academic smarts and common sense. He understands that there are different disciplines, and that with those different disciplines have different methods by which "problems" are solved.
I mean, take a custody dispute. He has no clue how such a thing would be resolved...or how to arrive at a solution to the differing positions that two parties may take over such a matter that does not involve advocacy and negotiation. Maybe he has come up with some magic mathematical equation that resolves it. If so....he needs to advise the Ohio Supreme Court.
No. My son...who I think is not far off Woody's age, has both more academic smarts and common sense.
I bet the son of the man who taunts and picks on guys the age of his son has more common sense that said man, too.
-
No. My son...who I think is not far off Woody's age, has both more academic smarts and common sense.
I bet the son of the man who taunts and picks on guys the age of his son has more common sense that said man, too.
I bet the son of the man who taunts and picks on guys the age of his son has more common sense that said man, too.
I bet we all have more common sense than you do in our little fingers. Woody is a grown man he can take care of himself and if you actually saw what he said you would realize how far off from reality his conceptions are
-
I bet the son of the man who taunts and picks on guys the age of his son has more common sense that said man, too.
I bet we all have more common sense than you do in our little fingers. Woody is a grown man he can take care of himself and if you actually saw what he said you would realize how far off from reality his conceptions are
I bet we all have more common sense than you do in our little fingers. Woody is a grown man he can take care of himself and if you actually saw what he said you would realize how far off from reality his conceptions are
The thing is that it seems funny to me that instead of limiting yourself to discuss said conceptions, you go after the man behind those words and compare him to a relative you are proud of (logically).
Not knowing your son, I can only judge your sense by your words

-
Resolution isn't solution
That is pure ignorance. And just plain wrong. When you resolve a dispute, you come to a solution. At least on Planet Earth.
Advocating isn't problem solving
But it leads to solving problems. Trust me.
That is like saying that there is no math problem that can be solved by doing either addition, subtraction, multiplication or division.
Maybe I was too kind to you when I laid off about you attending the school you did. If you don't understand the basics of human nature, of conflict resolution...you must be living in some kind of a bubble.
Sorry, a resolution isn't a solution. Resolution doesn't solve a problem.
Just addition, subtraction, multiplication and division? Hopefully there isn't a mathematician on this board that sees that...
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login