The Expandables
-
And you would eliminate the ability of the Indians to draw interest and fans from a city approaching a million people by putting a team there.
I am all aboard with trading the Cavs for the Blue Jackets, though.
Not sure the Indians are getting too many fans from Columbus. Knowing people that live there, most of them like Cincinnati
Not sure the Indians are getting too many fans from Columbus. Knowing people that live there, most of them like Cincinnati
It's a lot closer. It takes a little over a hour to drive Cincy to Columbus. Takes nearly 2.5 hours to drive Columbus to the Land.
-
And you would eliminate the ability of the Indians to draw interest and fans from a city approaching a million people by putting a team there.
I am all aboard with trading the Cavs for the Blue Jackets, though.
Another factor, many of those cities host a AAA team. Then a team would have to find another location for its AAA team.
Another factor, many of those cities host a AAA team. Then a team would have to find another location for its AAA team.
I'm on record that I think the Dolans eventually sell the Indians, and the new owners will move the team.
So Portland, Columbus, Montreal, etc might get the Indians instead of having to start up an expansion team.
-
Not sure the Indians are getting too many fans from Columbus. Knowing people that live there, most of them like Cincinnati
It's a lot closer. It takes a little over a hour to drive Cincy to Columbus. Takes nearly 2.5 hours to drive Columbus to the Land.
It's a lot closer. It takes a little over a hour to drive Cincy to Columbus. Takes nearly 2.5 hours to drive Columbus to the Land.
Columbus has always been more of a Reds town, but used to skew towards the Browns in football. With the Browns being so bad for so long, that's probably changed. I know there are a lot of Steelers fans in CBus now.
-
I figured that the NHL didn’t stay in Cleveland because Cleveland can’t support both NBA and NHL.
NHL is a much better product IMO
There really was no trouble there.
Brief history lesson....Gunds move the California Golden Seals from SF to Cle. Cle supports the team (Barons). Gunds work out a backdoor deal with the Minnesota North Stars, merge operations and leave Cle. Eventually that team moves to Dallas.
Gunds never truly gave Cle a great shot at the NHL. We would have supported it, the AHL Barons and WHA Crusaders drew fans just fine.
-
I don't think so. Plus, Portland doesn't deserve shit.
-
Not sure the Indians are getting too many fans from Columbus. Knowing people that live there, most of them like Cincinnati
It's a lot closer. It takes a little over a hour to drive Cincy to Columbus. Takes nearly 2.5 hours to drive Columbus to the Land.
-
Cincinnati is 106 miles away from Columbus. Cleveland is 141 miles away. I'm not sure that's a lot closer.
Cincinnati is 106 miles away from Columbus. Cleveland is 141 miles away. I'm not sure that's a lot closer.
Cincinnati is 106 miles away from Columbus. Cleveland is 141 miles away. I'm not sure that's a lot closer.
It's more about traffic and highway patrol. I drive up from Tennessee for Browns games. From the stadium in Cincy up to say OSU stadium takes about a hour and a half. Most of the drive is through rural Ohio. You can hit the gas a bit. The way up to Cleveland is populated. Seems like Troopers are sitting about every 10 miles apart bodgering up traffic. It takes nearly double the time.
-
It's a lot closer. It takes a little over a hour to drive Cincy to Columbus. Takes nearly 2.5 hours to drive Columbus to the Land.
Columbus has always been more of a Reds town, but used to skew towards the Browns in football. With the Browns being so bad for so long, that's probably changed. I know there are a lot of Steelers fans in CBus now.
Columbus has always been more of a Reds town, but used to skew towards the Browns in football. With the Browns being so bad for so long, that's probably changed. I know there are a lot of Steelers fans in CBus now.
Columbus is a FRAK town...when it comes to football and baseball. Whichever...Cleveland or Cinci...that is doing good in either sport is who they tend to go for.
-
Another factor, many of those cities host a AAA team. Then a team would have to find another location for its AAA team.
I'm on record that I think the Dolans eventually sell the Indians, and the new owners will move the team.
So Portland, Columbus, Montreal, etc might get the Indians instead of having to start up an expansion team.
I'm on record that I think the Dolans eventually sell the Indians, and the new owners will move the team.
So Portland, Columbus, Montreal, etc might get the Indians instead of having to start up an expansion team.
No...just no.
-
I figured that the NHL didn’t stay in Cleveland because Cleveland can’t support both NBA and NHL.
NHL is a much better product IMO
There really was no trouble there.
Brief history lesson....Gunds move the California Golden Seals from SF to Cle. Cle supports the team (Barons). Gunds work out a backdoor deal with the Minnesota North Stars, merge operations and leave Cle. Eventually that team moves to Dallas.
Gunds never truly gave Cle a great shot at the NHL. We would have supported it, the AHL Barons and WHA Crusaders drew fans just fine.
There really was no trouble there.
Brief history lesson....Gunds move the California Golden Seals from SF to Cle. Cle supports the team (Barons). Gunds work out a backdoor deal with the Minnesota North Stars, merge operations and leave Cle. Eventually that team moves to Dallas.
Gunds never truly gave Cle a great shot at the NHL. We would have supported it, the AHL Barons and WHA Crusaders drew fans just fine.
This is correct. The NHL Barons were only here like a year and a half. And if you were around....be aware that there was almost NO promotion of their existence even. I suspect attendance was a bit below league average....but hell, when no one knows you are there....who's gonna come?
-
I don't think so. Plus, Portland doesn't deserve shit.
I don't know about that. Portland is one of the faster growing regions in the country. They support the Blazers pretty well. And it is all about the Benjamins.
They will NOT get an NFL team because the Seattle owner....which is the Paul Allen Trust, directed by his sister, is also the Blazers owner, and they consider Portland "Seahawk territory"...just like Jerry Jones considers San Antonio and Austin to be Cowboy territory...and that is why that city could not get an NFL team.
But...baseball for either of them....if that league eventually decides to expand....more of a possibility. Seattle Mariners do not, I believe have a stranglehold on the Portland market the way the Seahawks football team does.
-
I would also like to see the Cavs traded for the Blue Jackets. To me NHL is a FAR FAR better product then the NBA
I would also like to see the Cavs traded for the Blue Jackets. To me NHL is a FAR FAR better product then the NBA
What is stopping you from supporting the BJs....going to games in Columbus? I see that you are in New Haven WVa. And looking at map of that...you are like equidistant from Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati. You could pretty easily make it to Columbus games which is only about 100 miles for you. You are closer than I am here in Wadsworth....which is about 112 miles from C-bus. I suppose you moved there from NEO?
I suppose if I were to be a fan of an NHL team it would be the CBJs.....but I really have not gotten into them.
I think you have to grow up with a team, which is probably why I am a much bigger Tribe/Browns fan than Cavs fan.....the Cavs were not around when I was growing up. They were only formed when I was like a senior in HS. I am still a fan of theirs, don't get me wrong...but the heart strings are still pulled far more by the teams you followed when really young.
-
Perhaps I should do the same thing for the MLS. Here are the top largest markets which do not have nor are slated to have an MLS expansion team in the near future:
1. Tampa Bay *but note what I say in the second post re the Tampa/Orlando market areas
2. Phoenix
3. Detroit
4. Cleveland
5. Pittsburgh
6. Raleigh/Durham
7. San Diego
8. Hartford
9. Milwaukee
10. Las Vegas
11. Jacksonville.
12. Virginia Beach
-
I would also like to see the Cavs traded for the Blue Jackets. To me NHL is a FAR FAR better product then the NBA
What is stopping you from supporting the BJs....going to games in Columbus? I see that you are in New Haven WVa. And looking at map of that...you are like equidistant from Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati. You could pretty easily make it to Columbus games which is only about 100 miles for you. You are closer than I am here in Wadsworth....which is about 112 miles from C-bus. I suppose you moved there from NEO?
I suppose if I were to be a fan of an NHL team it would be the CBJs.....but I really have not gotten into them.
I think you have to grow up with a team, which is probably why I am a much bigger Tribe/Browns fan than Cavs fan.....the Cavs were not around when I was growing up. They were only formed when I was like a senior in HS. I am still a fan of theirs, don't get me wrong...but the heart strings are still pulled far more by the teams you followed when really young.
What is stopping you from supporting the BJs....going to games in Columbus? I see that you are in New Haven WVa. And looking at map of that...you are like equidistant from Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati. You could pretty easily make it to Columbus games which is only about 100 miles for you. You are closer than I am here in Wadsworth....which is about 112 miles from C-bus. I suppose you moved there from NEO?
I suppose if I were to be a fan of an NHL team it would be the CBJs.....but I really have not gotten into them.
I think you have to grow up with a team, which is probably why I am a much bigger Tribe/Browns fan than Cavs fan.....the Cavs were not around when I was growing up. They were only formed when I was like a senior in HS. I am still a fan of theirs, don't get me wrong...but the heart strings are still pulled far more by the teams you followed when really young.
I just don’t like the NBA product. The NHL is just a better watch and way more action
I did move from NE Ohio. I grew up rooting for the Browns and Indians. The Cavs started the year I was born. I was just never into basketball
-
Not sure the Indians are getting too many fans from Columbus. Knowing people that live there, most of them like Cincinnati
It's a lot closer. It takes a little over a hour to drive Cincy to Columbus. Takes nearly 2.5 hours to drive Columbus to the Land.
It's a lot closer. It takes a little over a hour to drive Cincy to Columbus. Takes nearly 2.5 hours to drive Columbus to the Land.
Which is why it seemed to be a bit of a head scratcher for the MLS to have put a team in Cincy...when they already had a somewhat struggling franchise in Columbus. (they were going to move until Haslam stepped in to purchase them and keep them there).
-
What is stopping you from supporting the BJs....going to games in Columbus? I see that you are in New Haven WVa. And looking at map of that...you are like equidistant from Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati. You could pretty easily make it to Columbus games which is only about 100 miles for you. You are closer than I am here in Wadsworth....which is about 112 miles from C-bus. I suppose you moved there from NEO?
I suppose if I were to be a fan of an NHL team it would be the CBJs.....but I really have not gotten into them.
I think you have to grow up with a team, which is probably why I am a much bigger Tribe/Browns fan than Cavs fan.....the Cavs were not around when I was growing up. They were only formed when I was like a senior in HS. I am still a fan of theirs, don't get me wrong...but the heart strings are still pulled far more by the teams you followed when really young.
I just don’t like the NBA product. The NHL is just a better watch and way more action
I did move from NE Ohio. I grew up rooting for the Browns and Indians. The Cavs started the year I was born. I was just never into basketball
I just don’t like the NBA product. The NHL is just a better watch and way more action
I did move from NE Ohio. I grew up rooting for the Browns and Indians. The Cavs started the year I was born. I was just never into basketball
OK, but, for your personal self interest....being now much closer to Columbus and liking hockey...why would you not be glad about having a hockey team fairly nearby?
I mean, I understand the preference for having a team in your home town rather than in another city. I personally think that Columbus is an overgrown Cow-town which grew mainly out of just having the state government bureaucracy located there (and being where insurance companies located...another unproductive industry that located there just so they could lobby the government in their favor)...and because of pure annexation.* But, I am an Ohio/Ohio State fan, so guess I can justify possibly being a fan of a team there in a sport where there is none here in the NEOpolitan since I do root for the Buckeyes.
* Columbus has annexed so much of the territory that it is now like 281 square miles of territory. Compare to Cleveland and Cincinnati which are each only like 77 square miles. (so area wise, Columbus is over 3 times the size of Cleveland). Cleveland just needs to merge with surrounding suburbs to triple its size to be equal in size to C-bus. And imagine the amount of population that would be.
-
Columbus is also in more than 1 county. It’s a huge city
I grew up rooting for the New York Rangers. We got cable TV when I was 12 and the Rangers games were all on MSG network. So that’s how I became such a big NHL fan
-
Columbus is also in more than 1 county. It’s a huge city
I grew up rooting for the New York Rangers. We got cable TV when I was 12 and the Rangers games were all on MSG network. So that’s how I became such a big NHL fan
Columbus is also in more than 1 county. It’s a huge city
I grew up rooting for the New York Rangers. We got cable TV when I was 12 and the Rangers games were all on MSG network. So that’s how I became such a big NHL fan
Having just come back from San Antonio, I discovered that it is an area of 465 sq. Miles. That is 6 times the size of Cleveland.
-
Columbus is also in more than 1 county. It’s a huge city
I grew up rooting for the New York Rangers. We got cable TV when I was 12 and the Rangers games were all on MSG network. So that’s how I became such a big NHL fan
Columbus is also in more than 1 county. It’s a huge city
I grew up rooting for the New York Rangers. We got cable TV when I was 12 and the Rangers games were all on MSG network. So that’s how I became such a big NHL fan
A state in the middle of Ohio kind of like Texas is a country in the lower USA.
-
I'm on record that I think the Dolans eventually sell the Indians, and the new owners will move the team.
So Portland, Columbus, Montreal, etc might get the Indians instead of having to start up an expansion team.
No...just no.
No...just no.
Well I used to think that I think the Indians will eventually move out of town, but after your well thought out retort, I've changed my mind. Obviously they will never leave Cleveland. ?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login