Free Agent Tracker
-
Perhaps a bit too early for this, given that the FA period does not start for another 31 days. Nevertheless, it shows who is out there and perhaps available, and the conversation about who the Browns could be looking at will start up fairly soon. May as well have a bit of a scorecard:
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/
-
Kawann Short released today -- worth a one-year flier as a backup? Could be worse at the DT3 spot
-
Here are who Spotrac above list as the Top Ten available FAs:
1. Dak Prescott QB
2. Von Miller OLB Club Option
3. AJ Green WR
4.. Matt Judon OLB
5. JJ Watt DE
6. Leonard Williams DE
7. Kawaan Short DT
8. Melvin Ingram OLB
9. Bud Dupree OLB
10. Shaquil Barrett OLB
All I can say is that 8 of the 10 play D and that is a lot of defensive talent any of whom would look nice here. I suspect a few of these could be franchise tagged. And they may all cost a pretty penny which the Browns may not be willing or able cap wise, to fork over. But hell....I wish we could go sign like 3 of these guys.
BTW, Olivier Vernon is ranked the 29th top FA there, the highest ranked current Browns player to become a FA.
-
Here are who Spotrac above list as the Top Ten available FAs:
1. Dak Prescott QB
2. Von Miller OLB Club Option
3. AJ Green WR
4.. Matt Judon OLB
5. JJ Watt DE
6. Leonard Williams DE
7. Kawaan Short DT
8. Melvin Ingram OLB
9. Bud Dupree OLB
10. Shaquil Barrett OLB
All I can say is that 8 of the 10 play D and that is a lot of defensive talent any of whom would look nice here. I suspect a few of these could be franchise tagged. And they may all cost a pretty penny which the Browns may not be willing or able cap wise, to fork over. But hell....I wish we could go sign like 3 of these guys.
BTW, Olivier Vernon is ranked the 29th top FA there, the highest ranked current Browns player to become a FA.
Here are who Spotrac above list as the Top Ten available FAs:
1. Dak Prescott QB
2. Von Miller OLB Club Option
3. AJ Green WR
4.. Matt Judon OLB
5. JJ Watt DE
6. Leonard Williams DE
7. Kawaan Short DT
8. Melvin Ingram OLB
9. Bud Dupree OLB
10. Shaquil Barrett OLB
All I can say is that 8 of the 10 play D and that is a lot of defensive talent any of whom would look nice here. I suspect a few of these could be franchise tagged. And they may all cost a pretty penny which the Browns may not be willing or able cap wise, to fork over. But hell....I wish we could go sign like 3 of these guys.
BTW, Olivier Vernon is ranked the 29th top FA there, the highest ranked current Browns player to become a FA.
I would like us to get one of those defensive players if possible. Any of those guys should help.
-
Give me Troy Hill Slot Corner Rams. Let’s resign Money Mitch. Draft a development type DB. Maybe throw a one year incentive based type deal to Vernon Hargreaves who has talent back in his days from UF but hasn’t done much in the league. Of course for those holding out on the Hope maybe Greedy makes an appearance and you call it day for that position.
-
Whatever we do, I want us to be smart about it....i am sure we will.
Before we go too crazy on free players outside the team, i want to lock a few guys down so they don't become free.
Baker
Chubb
Conklin
Treeter
maybe hunt.
Ward
-
Whatever we do, I want us to be smart about it....i am sure we will.
Before we go too crazy on free players outside the team, i want to lock a few guys down so they don't become free.
Baker
Chubb
Conklin
Treeter
maybe hunt.
Ward
Whatever we do, I want us to be smart about it....i am sure we will.
Before we go too crazy on free players outside the team, i want to lock a few guys down so they don't become free.
Baker
Chubb
Conklin
Treeter
maybe hunt.
Ward
Well Conklin has three years ; Hunt and Tretter has a couple more years.
I think you let those play out.
I think many here are willing to pay market rate when it happens for Ward- I’m not. He’s here for two more years too.
Baker should get an extension within 12 months. Chubb is a year sooner and I don’t balk at all if he wants D Henry type money 4/50.
Post 2022. It’s Baker on one side Myles on the other (long term) with role players and maybe some friendly contracts from future draftees. It is a new dawn for Browns football in Salary cap era.
-
SI article on cap detail - nothing new, just terms defined and detailed examples shown.
-
Whatever we do, I want us to be smart about it....i am sure we will.
Before we go too crazy on free players outside the team, i want to lock a few guys down so they don't become free.
Baker
Chubb
Conklin
Treeter
maybe hunt.
Ward
Well Conklin has three years ; Hunt and Tretter has a couple more years.
I think you let those play out.
I think many here are willing to pay market rate when it happens for Ward- I’m not. He’s here for two more years too.
Baker should get an extension within 12 months. Chubb is a year sooner and I don’t balk at all if he wants D Henry type money 4/50.
Post 2022. It’s Baker on one side Myles on the other (long term) with role players and maybe some friendly contracts from future draftees. It is a new dawn for Browns football in Salary cap era.
Well Conklin has three years ; Hunt and Tretter has a couple more years.
I think you let those play out.
I think many here are willing to pay market rate when it happens for Ward- I’m not. He’s here for two more years too.
Baker should get an extension within 12 months. Chubb is a year sooner and I don’t balk at all if he wants D Henry type money 4/50.
Post 2022. It’s Baker on one side Myles on the other (long term) with role players and maybe some friendly contracts from future draftees. It is a new dawn for Browns football in Salary cap era.
Conklin signed a 3 year del. We have him this season and next. His, Treeters, and Bitonios contracts expire the same year, 2023....meaning 22 is their last season here under contract..
-
Updating list of cap casualties around NFL during 2021 offseason
Atlanta Falcons
S Ricardo Allen
DL Allen BaileyBaltimore Ravens
RB Mark Ingram
Buffalo Bills
CB E.J. Gaines
Carolina Panthers
DL Kawann Short
S Tre Boston
P Michael Palardy
DE Stephen WeatherlyDenver Broncos
CB A.J. Bouye
DL Kyle PekoGreen Bay Packers
LB Christian Kirksey
OT Rick WagnerHouston Texans
DL J.J. Watt
New Orleans Saints
G Nick Easton
Philadelphia Eagles
WR Desean Jackson
Seattle Seahawks
OL Chance Warmack
TE Luke WillsonList will update as more players around the NFL are released.
-
Franchise tag not necessary for the Browns to use this year. To paraphrase Wayne's World: No one's worthy:
https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-teams-now-franchise-tag-130419855.html
-
Rashard Higgins hopes to re-sign with Browns before hitting the market, ‘but I haven’t seen an offer yet’
A source told cleveland.com that the Browns would like to have Higgins back, but at the right price. According to spotrac.com, his market value is about four years, $24.75 million — an average of more than $6 million a year — which might be more than the Browns want to pay.
-
Texans release Duke Johnson:
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-texans-release-rb-duke-185550033.html
I didn't think he had deteriorated much as a player.
Houston also released their starting center: Nick Martin:
https://sports.yahoo.com/texans-cut-center-nick-martin-222103262.html
It also looks like Houston is going to let Will Fuller go as a Free Agent:
https://sports.yahoo.com/texans-allow-wr-fuller-test-160837473.html
So, what are they doing over there? I had not heard that they were such dire cap straits that they needed to dump salary. Or are they just in complete housecleaning mode? If they are doing this....may as well get rid of Watson for all the picks they can get.
-
Rashard Higgins hopes to re-sign with Browns before hitting the market, ‘but I haven’t seen an offer yet’
A source told cleveland.com that the Browns would like to have Higgins back, but at the right price. According to spotrac.com, his market value is about four years, $24.75 million — an average of more than $6 million a year — which might be more than the Browns want to pay.
Rashard Higgins hopes to re-sign with Browns before hitting the market, ‘but I haven’t seen an offer yet’
According to spotrac.com, his market value is about four years, $24.75 million — an average of more than $6 million a year — which might be more than the Browns want to pay?
*They have more than $30 million tied up in 2021 in Odell Beckham Jr. ($15.75 million) and Jarvis Landry ($14.753 million), and might not want the receiver room taking up more than 20% of the anticipated $185 million cap. (6M on a WR3? ?)
*Higgins is a FA.... However, the Browns may want to restructure Landry's contract to free up dollars for the long list of free agents they are faced with.The restructuring would amount to mathematics and money shuffling, not a pay cut, and possibly adding another year to Landry's deal.
Extending Joel Bitonio a year, in same fashion as above^^ won't hurt my feelings... stay tuned
-
More justification for resigning Higgins
-
Rashard Higgins hopes to re-sign with Browns before hitting the market, ‘but I haven’t seen an offer yet’
According to spotrac.com, his market value is about four years, $24.75 million — an average of more than $6 million a year — which might be more than the Browns want to pay?
*They have more than $30 million tied up in 2021 in Odell Beckham Jr. ($15.75 million) and Jarvis Landry ($14.753 million), and might not want the receiver room taking up more than 20% of the anticipated $185 million cap. (6M on a WR3? ?)
*Higgins is a FA.... However, the Browns may want to restructure Landry's contract to free up dollars for the long list of free agents they are faced with.The restructuring would amount to mathematics and money shuffling, not a pay cut, and possibly adding another year to Landry's deal.
Extending Joel Bitonio a year, in same fashion as above^^ won't hurt my feelings... stay tuned
*They have more than $30 million tied up in 2021 in Odell Beckham Jr. ($15.75 million) and Jarvis Landry ($14.753 million), and might not want the receiver room taking up more than 20% of the anticipated $185 million cap. (6M on a WR3? ?)
*Higgins is a FA.... However, the Browns may want to restructure Landry's contract to free up dollars for the long list of free agents they are faced with.The restructuring would amount to mathematics and money shuffling, not a pay cut, and possibly adding another year to Landry's deal.
Extending Joel Bitonio a year, in same fashion as above^^ won't hurt my feelings... stay tuned
Joel is under contract for 2021 and 2022 at a great number 10m per.
He’s getting older I don’t see the need to extend. Next draft we may be drafting his replacement.
-
*They have more than $30 million tied up in 2021 in Odell Beckham Jr. ($15.75 million) and Jarvis Landry ($14.753 million), and might not want the receiver room taking up more than 20% of the anticipated $185 million cap. (6M on a WR3? ?)
*Higgins is a FA.... However, the Browns may want to restructure Landry's contract to free up dollars for the long list of free agents they are faced with.The restructuring would amount to mathematics and money shuffling, not a pay cut, and possibly adding another year to Landry's deal.
Extending Joel Bitonio a year, in same fashion as above^^ won't hurt my feelings... stay tuned
Joel is under contract for 2021 and 2022 at a great number 10m per.
He’s getting older I don’t see the need to extend. Next draft we may be drafting his replacement.
Joel is under contract for 2021 and 2022 at a great number 10m per.
He’s getting older I don’t see the need to extend. Next draft we may be drafting his replacement.
He has only been here for 7 years....that is by no means "old" when it comes to offensive linemen where some very good ones have like 15 year careers. I mean, look at these guys:
36 Ray Brown G ^ 1986–2005 262 67 Ed White G 1969–1985 241 133 Will Shields* G 1993–2006 224 147 Max Montoya G 1979–1994 223 150 Randall McDaniel* G 1988–2001 222 172 Gene Upshaw* G 1967–1981 217 191 Kevin Gogan G 1987–2000 213 233 Chris Gray G 1993–2007 208 243 Randy Rasmussen G 1967–1981 207 256 Steve Wisniewski G 1989–2001 206 256 Alan Faneca G 1998–2010 206 256 Roberto Garza G, C 2001–2014 206 282 Doug Wilkerson G 1970–1984 204 290 Larry Allen* G 1994–2007 203 301 Gene Hickerson* G 1958–1973 202 301 Joe Scibelli G 1961–1975 202 Bitonio has played in just 95 games in his career so far.
-
Also, it has been at least like 5 days since teams have had the ability to apply one of the various "Tags", yet I see where nothing has happened on that front.
Is it a matter of A. Teams waiting on the salary cap number decision B. Teams still trying to negotiate extensions with players C. Just giving it more time since that deadline is still a bit away?
-
Also, it has been at least like 5 days since teams have had the ability to apply one of the various "Tags", yet I see where nothing has happened on that front.
Is it a matter of A. Teams waiting on the salary cap number decision B. Teams still trying to negotiate extensions with players C. Just giving it more time since that deadline is still a bit away?
Also, it has been at least like 5 days since teams have had the ability to apply one of the various "Tags", yet I see where nothing has happened on that front.
Is it a matter of A. Teams waiting on the salary cap number decision B. Teams still trying to negotiate extensions with players C. Just giving it more time since that deadline is still a bit away?
Or D. Teams do not need to use it. (See Browns and I’m sure some others)
-
Also, it has been at least like 5 days since teams have had the ability to apply one of the various "Tags", yet I see where nothing has happened on that front.
Is it a matter of A. Teams waiting on the salary cap number decision B. Teams still trying to negotiate extensions with players C. Just giving it more time since that deadline is still a bit away?
Or D. Teams do not need to use it. (See Browns and I’m sure some others)
Or D. Teams do not need to use it. (See Browns and I’m sure some others)
Sure. I am curious as to, historically, what percentage of teams on average have used one of the tags in any given year. I suspect maybe only 50%?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login