START JAMES DAVIS
-
OK T.Dawg, you seem to be arguing that James Davis sucked other than that huge run. Which is fine. My position is one that believes you're grossly devaluing that one huge run, pretty much labeling it an anomaly.
And I'm not basing my judgment on straight-line stats. I'm basing my judgment on watching him break that run, knowing our current starter, just as Riff believes, gets zero on that play. That right there has inherent value for me.
-
Davis breaking off an 81 yard run was a fact the same as pittsburgh winning 6 super bowls is a fact...Agreed you cannot dispute the facts but you can dispute the value of the statistics...
Let me explain it to you this way:
You're hunting bear...Your 1st shot misses one inch to the right.. Your 2nd shot misses 1 inch to the left... Statistically you hit the bastard right between the eyes but in reality you were the bears lunch.....
When you're trying to make a value judgement based on straight line statistics you're setting your self up for failure... Thats not a statistic, thats a fact.......
Peace
T.Dawg
Davis breaking off an 81 yard run was a fact the same as pittsburgh winning 6 super bowls is a fact...Agreed you cannot dispute the facts but you can dispute the value of the statistics...
Let me explain it to you this way:
You're hunting bear...Your 1st shot misses one inch to the right.. Your 2nd shot misses 1 inch to the left... Statistically you hit the bastard right between the eyes but in reality you were the bears lunch.....
When you're trying to make a value judgement based on straight line statistics you're setting your self up for failure... Thats not a statistic, thats a fact.......
Peace
T.Dawg
Daddy, did you see the run?
It was special, that is all that needs to be said. Mixing stat arguments etc ain't what it's about. The kid made a huge play out of nothing. He may end up starting for us, so believe it and believe in him. I don't hate Lewis, but we need a back that can keep defenses honest. Lewis is not even a good power back IMO, he's just a HB way past his prime. That's coming from somebody who usually has the older guys' back about losing a step or 5 as in Lewis' case.
-
No need top pat myself on the back, just trying to explain statistics....
How am I saying that Davis sucked other than the 81 yard run.... Reread my post, never, never once did I say that he sucked... In fact I stated he may be the steal of the draft.....
It may be your opinion that JL gets zero on that play but that is nothing more than your opinion... Even Bernie stated that lewis was running hard against 8 and 9 man fronts....
You're welcome to your opinion just as I'm welcomed to mine.....
Pittsburgh winning 6 out of 7 superbowls is a fact and statistically they won 85% of the super bowls that they participated in.....
Peace
T.Dawg
-
No need top pat myself on the back, just trying to explain statistics....
How am I saying that Davis sucked other than the 81 yard run.... Reread my post, never, never once did I say that he sucked... In fact I stated he may be the steal of the draft.....
It may be your opinion that JL gets zero on that play but that is nothing more than your opinion... Even Bernie stated that lewis was running hard against 8 and 9 man fronts....
You're welcome to your opinion just as I'm welcomed to mine.....
Pittsburgh winning 6 out of 7 superbowls is a fact and statistically they won 85% of the super bowls that they participated in.....
Peace
T.Dawg
Pittsburgh winning 6 out of 7 superbowls is a fact and statistically they won 85% of the super bowls that they participated in.....
Sorry to be a stickler about this, but since you got on your high horse to "burst" mz the pussy's "bubble," there are 3 statistics in that statement....not 1.
An event being something that you classify as "fact" and an event being a statistic are not mutually exclusive.
-
No need top pat myself on the back, just trying to explain statistics....
How am I saying that Davis sucked other than the 81 yard run.... Reread my post, never, never once did I say that he sucked... In fact I stated he may be the steal of the draft.....
It may be your opinion that JL gets zero on that play but that is nothing more than your opinion... Even Bernie stated that lewis was running hard against 8 and 9 man fronts....
You're welcome to your opinion just as I'm welcomed to mine.....
Pittsburgh winning 6 out of 7 superbowls is a fact and statistically they won 85% of the super bowls that they participated in.....
Peace
T.Dawg
No need top pat myself on the back, just trying to explain statistics....
How am I saying that Davis sucked other than the 81 yard run.... Reread my post, never, never once did I say that he sucked... In fact I stated he may be the steal of the draft.....
It may be your opinion that JL gets zero on that play but that is nothing more than your opinion... Even Bernie stated that lewis was running hard against 8 and 9 man fronts....
You're welcome to your opinion just as I'm welcomed to mine.....
Pittsburgh winning 6 out of 7 superbowls is a fact and statistically they won 85% of the super bowls that they participated in.....
Peace
T.Dawg
I'm not talking about Pitt winning SB's or stats or what anybody has done over their life I'm saying IMO Davis may be a better bet for us this year. That is not arguing or saying you are wrong about anything, it's simply stating what I believe. I feel Lewis leaves yards all over the field. Davis may or may not be a stud or even a decent player, but much like DA it's time to see if we have better options and I think Davis may be one.
We will see, but I hope Mangie ain't afraid to make a call.
-
Hey Timmy, I made a post trying to show how misleading statistics can be and mz the pussy responded by throwing out pittsburgh winning 6 super bowls as a straight line statistic.... And how am I on my high horse when mz the pussy is jumping on my post????? I made a statement and he replied and you my friend come across as all pissy...
You want to start a thread on statistical analysis or geometric progressions then be my guest... Who knows, I may just bow to your superior knowledge....Peace
T.Dawg
-
Think I may have found it:
http://www.brainyhistory.com/events/1959/n...959_122021.html
Bobby Mitchell
Cleveland Browns' halfback Bobby Mitchell sets club record for longest run from scrimmage (90-yards), beat Washington 31-17
Anybody know of a longer one? I love useless trivia...
-
Hey Timmy, I made a post trying to show how misleading statistics can be and mz the pussy responded by throwing out pittsburgh winning 6 super bowls as a straight line statistic.... And how am I on my high horse when mz the pussy is jumping on my post????? I made a statement and he replied and you my friend come across as all pissy...
You want to start a thread on statistical analysis or geometric progressions then be my guest... Who knows, I may just bow to your superior knowledge....Peace
T.Dawg
You want to start a thread on statistical analysis or geometric progressions then be my guest...
LOL....no thanks.
I get more than enough of that in "real life."
As for my "high horse" comment, your post did come across as rather condescending......something like "Yo, mz the pussy.. not to burst your bubble but <insert incorrect assertion about what constitutes a statistic.>"
Followed by "here's why I think I know so much more than you do re: statistics/mathematics."
Nope. No equestrian activity there whatsoever.

-
You want to start a thread on statistical analysis or geometric progressions then be my guest...
LOL....no thanks.
I get more than enough of that in "real life."
As for my "high horse" comment, your post did come across as rather condescending......something like "Yo, mz the pussy.. not to burst your bubble but <insert incorrect assertion about what constitutes a statistic.>"
Followed by "here's why I think I know so much more than you do re: statistics/mathematics."
Nope. No equestrian activity there whatsoever.

LOL....no thanks.
I get more than enough of that in "real life."
As for my "high horse" comment, your post did come across as rather condescending......something like "Yo, mz the pussy.. not to burst your bubble but <insert incorrect assertion about what constitutes a statistic.>"
Followed by "here's why I think I know so much more than you do re: statistics/mathematics."
Nope. No equestrian activity there whatsoever.

I will stay out of the statistics debate as I avoided that stuff like the plague when in school.
Whether Davis starts or not doesn't really matter to me as i don't think Lewis is garbage as some claim. I do however think as the season numbers are totaled, Davis should gather more carries than does Lewis.
If anybody has their touches reduced, it should be Lewis.
I guess it is fair to say Lewis is a better bet to gain 3 yards while Davis is a better bet to gain more than 3.
I wonder how statistics would reflect that??
-
Let's don't jump the gun. I saw him go down on quite a few arm tackles last night and looked just average against their #1's, which isn't a steller group. His big run was against their #3's.
I say he opened some eyes and will make the team but I also think he is still behind Harrison and rightfully so. BTW, he sucks picking up the blitz. Needs to show big improvment their.
Let's don't jump the gun. I saw him go down on quite a few arm tackles last night and looked just average against their #1's, which isn't a steller group. His big run was against their #3's.
What do you think J Lew was doing? He looks old. No matter how hard he chops his legs, it's not enough anymore. He looks like a Retard trying to scrum in rugby. They need to split carries.
-
Let's don't jump the gun. I saw him go down on quite a few arm tackles last night and looked just average against their #1's, which isn't a steller group. His big run was against their #3's.
What do you think J Lew was doing? He looks old. No matter how hard he chops his legs, it's not enough anymore. He looks like a Retard trying to scrum in rugby. They need to split carries.
No matter how hard he chops his legs, it's not enough anymore.
When there are no holes to run through, every RB looks like that.
-
No matter how hard he chops his legs, it's not enough anymore.
When there are no holes to run through, every RB looks like that.
Masters said:
When there are no holes to run through, every RB looks like that.He's getting armed tackled by CB's. You think this is the same J Lew. Dude I am a big fan, but he just doesn't look the same. Now and at the end of last year.
I am not talking holes, I understand that, he's not sheeding tacklers. 5 in this video.
-
Masters said:
When there are no holes to run through, every RB looks like that.He's getting armed tackled by CB's. You think this is the same J Lew. Dude I am a big fan, but he just doesn't look the same. Now and at the end of last year.
I am not talking holes, I understand that, he's not sheeding tacklers. 5 in this video.
He's getting armed tackled by CB's. You think this is the same J Lew. Dude I am a big fan, but he just doesn't look the same. Now and at the end of last year.
I am not talking holes, I understand that, he's not sheeding tacklers. 5 in this video.
I have yet to see him get arm tackled by a CB. You have a clip of that, as I have missed that (last year and this preseason).
-
He's getting armed tackled by CB's. You think this is the same J Lew. Dude I am a big fan, but he just doesn't look the same. Now and at the end of last year.
I am not talking holes, I understand that, he's not sheeding tacklers. 5 in this video.
I have yet to see him get arm tackled by a CB. You have a clip of that, as I have missed that (last year and this preseason).
Masters said:
I have yet to see him get arm tackled by a CB. You have a clip of that, as I have missed that (last year and this preseason).Nope. Nothing on You Tube.
07 = 4.4 YPC
08 = 3.6 YPC
09 Preseason = 2.8 YPC
See a trend?
-
Masters said:
I have yet to see him get arm tackled by a CB. You have a clip of that, as I have missed that (last year and this preseason).Nope. Nothing on You Tube.
07 = 4.4 YPC
08 = 3.6 YPC
09 Preseason = 2.8 YPC
See a trend?
Nope. Nothing on You Tube.
07 = 4.4 YPC
08 = 3.6 YPC
09 Preseason = 2.8 YPC
See a trend?
I do. Of course in watching the team, I have seen a trend where the run blocking has been worse than it was in 07'.
Certainly JL is on the down side and numbers are going to drop. But it's hard to say where his drop off is to, when there have been little to no running lanes since 2007.
-
@jadbf said:
And I think Lewis does hit the holes that are thereMost any UDFA can do that.
@jadbf said:
It's not the bounce outside that Davis has over him now. It's that one cut juke within the hole that Lewis has lost. but that doesn't mean Lewis is done.If that is indeed the case, what are the advantages to starting Lewis over a guy like James Davis?
-
Lewis is done. He should not be the primary back for this football team. He can contribute, but no way is he a bell cow anymore. At least he shouldn't be.
-
Apart from the 81 yard TchDwn I do not see anything so impressive in James Davis that warrants him to get a start over Jamal Lewis. And if the argument is giong to be he is an unknown then i must say that we already have one unknown in Jerrome Harrison.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login