Skip to content

Monday Aug 24 PRACTICE UPDATES!!!

The Browns Board
21 9 1.7k
  • Masters said:

    A lot of 3 step drops with quick hit slants, come backs, outs, swing, and screen passes. Really, think NE pre-Moss era offense.

    DA is great at the 5 and 7 step drop plays where he can go deep. But not so much on the above. If this was the 70's or early 80's, DA would be the wet dream QB for his ability on those deep drops.

    Just for sake of argument why can't DA run that style?

    And from what I’ve read Daboll runs the same exact style Offence as N.E. does now.

    @erie-dawg said:

    Just for sake of argument why can't DA run that style?

    And from what I’ve read Daboll runs the same exact style Offence as N.E. does now.

    In theory DA should be able to run that style. But DA seems to struggle when he is asked to make pre-snap reads (which you have to do on short drops) and his short passing game leaves a lot to be desired. If DA demonstrated that he can make pre-snap reads and can consistently throw a catchable ball on short throws (5~10 yard range say), then he could do it. But based on what I have seen of DA those two items are still glaring holes in his game.

    It won't be the same NE offense today (don't think as many deep balls, but CLE doesn't have Moss and if NE didn't have him, I don't think they'd go deep as much as they do now), but bits of it, along with traditional WCO, and a few other piece parts. From what I have seen and read, Daboll/Mangini want more of a ball control offense, which is built on running the ball and quick hit passes.