Skip to content

What I Took From Last Night

The Browns Board
25 17 1.6k
  • @sez.ej said:

    5. Cribbs still looked a bit raw at WR last night, but I liked what I saw from him every time he touched the ball. Give him a new contract already.

    WRONG.. make him show he can play (and make playes) WR during the season.. THEN you pay him. That's what the bears did with Hester and that is ther RIGHT way to do it.

    You don't pay a guy based upon preseason production!!!!

    The Bears gave Hester his money last year before the season and he hadn't shown anything yet. His contract kind of started the works of Cribbs talking about wanting a new contract last year.

    But I do agree that Cribbs has to show he is more than a special teams star before you give him the new contract.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Masters said:

    But I do agree that Cribbs has to show he is more than a special teams star before you give him the new contract.

    I equate this to the Brady Quinn situation. He can't show us what the staff won't enable him to do.

    Go back to when our brass said we didn't have anyone that could fill Northcutt's shoes in the return game. Somebody gave Cribs a chance and worked with him exclusively at retruns. Turned out pretty good. The thign that made it possible was training the guy for the new position.

    I've never seen a WR that gets thrown into the mix once or twice every 12 plays that's made that a memorable gig. I'm sure there's some that have done it but Cribbs looks like a guy that can master just about any challenge he's presented with. What intrigues me the most about seeing him get a REAL opportunity to play WR is the guy is his ability to shine in the open fields. We've been waiting for an x-factor to kill a zone blitz - Cribbs looks like our best answer to this type of aggressive D.

    - Tom F.

  • @smalls1129 said:

    I don't know what NFL.com saw, but I thought our pass protection was far superior to our run blocking. In any case all of those screens definitely seemed to 'aid' in the time that both QB's had to throw. There was only one play I remember where the QB really got blown up and on that play DA and the O-line seemed a bit off.

    I might easily have had the wrong impression because it was a 2 minutes video report of the game on NFL.com.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @the-italian-dawgpound said:

    I might easily have had the wrong impression because it was a 2 minutes video report of the game on NFL.com.

    ALL Qbs face pressure. Last year's SB Champs prolly had one of the worst pass protection lines I've ever seen on a post season team like that. You might have been seeing the pressure our QBs faced on the screen passes which invites the pressure by design so you can throw over it and have your line available to block the next wave of defenders. That was one of the better nights our collection of Qbs enjoyed. Even Bartel looked pretty efficient and he's 4th of the depth chart.

    St Clair is prolly the least respected guy we throw out there. And all he has done is last 10 years in this league with Cleveland markign the 3rd team he'll start for. HOW can you suck and remain this serviceable? He's replacing Shaffer who's in Chicago and not about to start. Anyway, I think St Clair held his own in pass protection and I'm sure throwing Tenn's defense off with ther frequency of screens helped him as it did others on our line. That's freakin genious by the coaching staff IMO. I don't think our strength is going to be running Jamal Lewis on anyone this year. There's been some holes that he just can't get to any more. As I said in another thread, he takes 20 steps to move 2 yards forward. That's NOT the same guy that rushed for 2000 yards 5-6 years ago, which is why he was available in the first place. I can't pin all this on the oline. Jamal looked better on the screens as he should have.

    - Tom F.

  • G Greythan wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Cribbs is a hot topic today and rightfully so.

    He looks like a completely new receiver this year in terms of routes, hand position, and catching. I think this guy may be the best pure athlete on our team and probably one of the best overall athletes in the league.

    What should scare the hell out of other teams is what Cribbs does to your defense AFTER catching the ball. If he can show enough proficiency as a receiver to justify the #2, how do you gameplan for Edwards/Cribbs? Both very big targets, Edwards is scary in terms of vertical threat, and Cribbs is scary if you simply let him get his hands on the ball in the open field.

    Love the potential.

  • chocoC choco wrote on last edited by
    #24

    amazing what a decent coach can get outta guys.

    i have to admit, i didn't think RAC was THAT bad....but its evermore increasingly obvious.

  • B Bronx Cheer wrote on last edited by
    #25

    Agreed mostly with the original post, but I have two additional thoughts to add.

    The o-line was pretty bad all game. The Titans were getting consistent pressure without bringing extra men or running any weird stunts.

    Braylon yet again left his feet to breadbasket a perfect pass thrown at facemask level (the TD). Do we have coaches? Why the hell is he still doing this?