Where are all the mock drafts??
-
In an ideal world.. The draft would provide 1 or 2 immediate starters and immediate depth at 3-4 additional positions. Further, the depth should be able to grow into starter role in 2-3 seasons. Only way a draft could actually fix anything is with multiple picks in the first 2-3 rounds.. and generally at least one pick will be a bust.
This is the draft outlook that a team that constantly makes the playoffs has to adopt.
One draft won't "fix everything" unless you already have the OL and DL and only need to draft a WR late in the first to take the top off. You know, the 49ers just before the 1985 draft.
-
That's because we drink milk! And not that 1 or 2% stuff.
Either that or because, the draft, and especially from our starting point, is for the future. And many of us have stated the importance of this upcoming football season...regarding trigger-finger Haslem and the need to win right now. That's why Berry went to FA to try and fill all of those defensive holes...and traded for a WR. He's gotta win now, and the draft just wasn't gonna do it.
Like I said, in an ideal world, or in theory that would be great. Would fully support that. My perception of the ownership is the polar opposite. Berry might say stuff like "we look at the draft more through a long-term lens," and I believe he would like to do so, I firmly believe Haslam has a proverbial gun to his head telling him to do otherwise. He might still draft down, but his orders are to win now, the future be damned.
And in terms of milk: I had the (mis)fortune to be offered chilled raw milk by a farmer as a kid. Once you have that, you are left 'chasing the dragon' ever after. The exact same stuff baby cows drink, untreated, just chilled. Unspeakably delicious! Probably also helped me to grow to 6'7" 300 pounds at age 13, but I digress.
6'7" 300 pounds at age 13, but I digress.
So...... Was offensive line just not a suitable profession for your abilities or...?
-
6'7" 300 pounds at age 13, but I digress.
So...... Was offensive line just not a suitable profession for your abilities or...?
So...... Was offensive line just not a suitable profession for your abilities or...?
In another life, I would have loved to.
Prior to the NFL Europe that, together with the Madden games got me interested, Football of the American kind was very much a fringe sport in The Netherlands and even more so in the rest of Europe. Netball kind of fringe. It still is, although less so. It is simply not a sport a kid chooses.
Funnily enough, I did get 'scouted' around age 18. A Dutch-American guy in the Amsterdam area recruited big guys such as myself for high schools in the US. Most commonly joining as a senior after graduating in NL, with the opportunity to get noticed for college. This is more common for basketball though, the Dutch being the tallest people and all.
Unfortunately, by that time, I already had a pretty nasty cartilage injury in my lower back. I had also recently recovered from a partially torn tendon in my ankle, causing a 'drop foot' and requiring six month of PT to walk normally again. I figured my chances of achieving a career in professional sports were pretty slim, and went the boring 9 to 5 route. Probably would have ended up doing a short stint in WWE and then developing a serious alcohol and/ or drugs problem, while barely getting by on the independent wrestling circuit.
But one can't help but ponder what having 'Big Dutch' on the O-line would have been.
-
So...... Was offensive line just not a suitable profession for your abilities or...?
In another life, I would have loved to.
Prior to the NFL Europe that, together with the Madden games got me interested, Football of the American kind was very much a fringe sport in The Netherlands and even more so in the rest of Europe. Netball kind of fringe. It still is, although less so. It is simply not a sport a kid chooses.
Funnily enough, I did get 'scouted' around age 18. A Dutch-American guy in the Amsterdam area recruited big guys such as myself for high schools in the US. Most commonly joining as a senior after graduating in NL, with the opportunity to get noticed for college. This is more common for basketball though, the Dutch being the tallest people and all.
Unfortunately, by that time, I already had a pretty nasty cartilage injury in my lower back. I had also recently recovered from a partially torn tendon in my ankle, causing a 'drop foot' and requiring six month of PT to walk normally again. I figured my chances of achieving a career in professional sports were pretty slim, and went the boring 9 to 5 route. Probably would have ended up doing a short stint in WWE and then developing a serious alcohol and/ or drugs problem, while barely getting by on the independent wrestling circuit.
But one can't help but ponder what having 'Big Dutch' on the O-line would have been.
in The Netherlands
I have a cousin that lives in The Netherlands. South Holland.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login