Skip to content

Drew Brees the best QB in the NFL

The Browns Board
32 13 3.0k
  • For those upset Quinn isn't looking very good (even though he doesn't have a running game and St. Clair at RT), think about this.

    Today's front page on MSN asks if Drew Brees is the NFL's best QB. They are asking this about him at age 30 and he's been around since 2001. He didn't get there overnight.

    Drew Brees' stats with QB ratings in bold:

    2009 New Orleans Saints 51 68 75.0 669 9.8 9 2 2 23 132.9 1 -1 -1.0 0 2 0

    2008 New Orleans Saints 413 635 65.0 5,069 8.0 34 17 13 92 96.2 22 -1 0.0 0 6 1

    2007 New Orleans Saints 440 652 67.5 4,423 6.8 28 18 16 109 89.4 23 52 2.3 1 9 4

    2006 New Orleans Saints 356 554 64.3 4,418 8.0 26 11 18 105 96.2 42 32 0.8 0 8 3

    2005 San Diego Chargers 323 500 64.6 3,576 7.2 24 15 27 223 89.2 21 49 2.3 1 8 5

    2004 San Diego Chargers 262 400 65.5 3,159 7.9 27 7 18 131 104.8 53 85 1.6 2 7 2

    2003 San Diego Chargers 205 356 57.6 2,108 5.9 11 15 21 178 67.5 21 84 4.0 0 5 3

    2002 San Diego Chargers 320 526 60.8 3,284 6.2 17 16 24 180 76.9 38 130 3.4 1 2 0

    2001 San Diego Chargers (played only one game)

    AND, in 2002/2003, LaDainian was cranking out 1600+ yards/season.

    Now, I'm not saying Quinn will be Brees; I'm not saying give it time and for sure it'll be alright; I'm not saying Quinn is doing well. He can do better. But, I think we all agree the Browns have to work on making everything in the offense better, not just the QB position. The downer is it's tough to imagine a scenario where we look good this year. They just need to keep working at it from all angles.

  • Drew Brees had a better arm or a more expansive playbook which ever way u want to put it. While NO knew that their offense was a problem, they knew that Brees was part of the solution. We sadly do not.

  • Drew Brees had a better arm or a more expansive playbook which ever way u want to put it. While NO knew that their offense was a problem, they knew that Brees was part of the solution. We sadly do not.

    @brownindian said:

    Drew Brees had a better arm or a more expansive playbook which ever way u want to put it. While NO knew that their offense was a problem, they knew that Brees was part of the solution. We sadly do not.

    I think the point of his post was to show that Brees was not very good his first couple seasons of starts and then it clicked and he's been pretty damn good since. When NO got him he was already the improved version that got to play his learning years in SD.

  • @brownindian said:

    Drew Brees had a better arm or a more expansive playbook which ever way u want to put it. While NO knew that their offense was a problem, they knew that Brees was part of the solution. We sadly do not.

    I think the point of his post was to show that Brees was not very good his first couple seasons of starts and then it clicked and he's been pretty damn good since. When NO got him he was already the improved version that got to play his learning years in SD.

    @nebbrownsfan said:

    I think the point of his post was to show that Brees was not very good his first couple seasons of starts and then it clicked and he's been pretty damn good since. When NO got him he was already the improved version that got to play his learning years in SD.

    Drew bree's has a very average / weak NFL arm. He's just crazy accurate and anticipatory.

  • @nebbrownsfan said:

    I think the point of his post was to show that Brees was not very good his first couple seasons of starts and then it clicked and he's been pretty damn good since. When NO got him he was already the improved version that got to play his learning years in SD.

    Drew bree's has a very average / weak NFL arm. He's just crazy accurate and anticipatory.

    AdaM said:

    Drew bree's has a very average / weak NFL arm. He's just crazy accurate and anticipatory.

    I know...but don't let the DA groupies know that...they still think Brees has Jamarcus Russell strength.

  • AdaM said:

    Drew bree's has a very average / weak NFL arm. He's just crazy accurate and anticipatory.

    I know...but don't let the DA groupies know that...they still think Brees has Jamarcus Russell strength.

    @nebbrownsfan said:

    I know...but don't let the DA groupies know that...they still think Brees has Jamarcus Russell strength.

    I have a feeling JaFat will be the first ever QB converted to defensive end.

  • @nebbrownsfan said:

    I know...but don't let the DA groupies know that...they still think Brees has Jamarcus Russell strength.

    I have a feeling JaFat will be the first ever QB converted to defensive end.

    AdaM said:

    I have a feeling JaFat will be the first ever QB converted to defensive end.

    LOL....god knows he's big enough.

  • This is the ceiling argument: will your guy develop or are you wasting reps on him?

    Both our QB's are young and could (repeat "could") develop ala the Brees lines above.

    The question is where do you make your bet?

    Considering DA's systemic limitations (mobility, accuracy, and decision making) I've held the opinion that leaving a first rounder on the bench didn't make sense. If Quinn implodes it will be interesting to see what is Mangini's view of DA's ceiling. Obviously, at this time he thinks Quinn's is significantly higher or he'd have gone with the more established guy.

  • Drew Brees had a better arm or a more expansive playbook which ever way u want to put it. While NO knew that their offense was a problem, they knew that Brees was part of the solution. We sadly do not.

    @brownindian said:

    Drew Brees had a better arm or a more expansive playbook which ever way u want to put it. While NO knew that their offense was a problem, they knew that Brees was part of the solution. We sadly do not.

    Leave.jpg

    If you don't have a fcuking clue what you're talking about, then just hold it in. It's no state secret that Brees doesn't exactly have a cannon attached to his right shoulder. His "weak arm" was actually the big knock on him (along with his height) until he started lighting up the league.

  • I remember watching Drew Brees in college and wondering "Why do they think he can't play in the pros, I would take him"

  • Brees has always been a baller. I've been telling people I think he's the best QB in the league and get the "you're crazy" remarks and the same old Peyton and Brady comebacks.

  • @nebbrownsfan said:

    I think the point of his post was to show that Brees was not very good his first couple seasons of starts and then it clicked and he's been pretty damn good since. When NO got him he was already the improved version that got to play his learning years in SD.

    Drew bree's has a very average / weak NFL arm. He's just crazy accurate and anticipatory.

    AdaM said:

    He's just crazy...anticipatory.

    Here's the thing I feel Quinn isn't doing. Frankly, I know little of the finer points of quarterbacking, but I've yet to see a simple well timed square out pattern.

  • AdaM said:

    He's just crazy...anticipatory.

    Here's the thing I feel Quinn isn't doing. Frankly, I know little of the finer points of quarterbacking, but I've yet to see a simple well timed square out pattern.

    @oconrecon said:

    Here's the thing I feel Quinn isn't doing. Frankly, I know little of the finer points of quarterbacking, but I've yet to see a simple well timed square out pattern.

    In our QB's defense, who have we had to run a square out pattern? Edwards? fat chance having ANY pattern ran square by this cat, let alone to the right yard-marker so it could be timed. Cribbs? Steptoe? Stallworth?

    JJ most likely is the lone exception. Even Winslow would have to ablib so many gyrations that it wouldn't be consistient enough to time.

    Where's our Anthony Carter?

  • I remember watching Drew Brees in college and wondering "Why do they think he can't play in the pros, I would take him"

    @dawgtracker said:

    I remember watching Drew Brees in college and wondering "Why do they think he can't play in the pros, I would take him"

    Me too ... I repeated it so many times, people hated Brees.

  • So Brees goes into the category of "developed superstar/legend" along with Eli. Yet my fellow dumb ass Browns fans cannot figure out that the real way to get the franchise QB is to pick one, and stick with them for a long while until they develop. Which is what Ive been trying to tell people about Quinn, but everyone is so damn impatient, they want the Superstar "NOW" because there spoiled with the Matt Ryans and Joe Flaccos of the world. I dont know about you people, but I'd take a Drew Brees or an Eli Manning over either of those guys.

    Give Quinn time, and lots of it, and he will be our superstar, dont shut him out after 1 bad season, give hime a few years, if we get rid of him, he will end up just like Brees (who was given to New Orleans from San Diego). Im telling you!

  • So Brees goes into the category of "developed superstar/legend" along with Eli. Yet my fellow dumb ass Browns fans cannot figure out that the real way to get the franchise QB is to pick one, and stick with them for a long while until they develop. Which is what Ive been trying to tell people about Quinn, but everyone is so damn impatient, they want the Superstar "NOW" because there spoiled with the Matt Ryans and Joe Flaccos of the world. I dont know about you people, but I'd take a Drew Brees or an Eli Manning over either of those guys.

    Give Quinn time, and lots of it, and he will be our superstar, dont shut him out after 1 bad season, give hime a few years, if we get rid of him, he will end up just like Brees (who was given to New Orleans from San Diego). Im telling you!

    @playgroundlegend said:

    So Brees goes into the category of "developed superstar/legend" along with Eli. Yet my fellow dumb ass Browns fans cannot figure out that the real way to get the franchise QB is to pick one, and stick with them for a long while until they develop. Which is what Ive been trying to tell people about Quinn, but everyone is so damn impatient, they want the Superstar "NOW" because there spoiled with the Matt Ryans and Joe Flaccos of the world. I dont know about you people, but I'd take a Drew Brees or an Eli Manning over either of those guys.

    Give Quinn time, and lots of it, and he will be our superstar, dont shut him out after 1 bad season, give hime a few years, if we get rid of him, he will end up just like Brees (who was given to New Orleans from San Diego). Im telling you!

    Why you are calling people dumbasses, turn the finger on yourself Chachi. First of all, I don't think anyone here had a Browns Gm's ear on draft day, and wasn't a part of drafting or passing on any QB in the history of the NFL. Second of all, Drew Brees stood out to me in accuracy, using the whole field, knowing his offense, and reading defenses, over just about any QB I've ever seen in college football. Brady Quinn was average in this same evaulation, You don't just throw a dart at the QB draft board then roll up your sleeves and start developing no matter how many years it sets your franchise back.

    Brady Quinn is not Drew Brees/ Eli Manning with just a few more years of development. There is no secret recipe to taking any joe-shmo and developing them. Hell, if that was the case, Derek Anderson had better stats across the board than Eli manning had in his Super Bowl Winning season ... why don't we wait on DA?

    Who you calling a dumbass? I mean, that is your arguement after calling your fellow Browns fans dumbasses?

    We need to put that on our wall Al Davis style, "JUST WAIT BABY!"

  • So Brees goes into the category of "developed superstar/legend" along with Eli. Yet my fellow dumb ass Browns fans cannot figure out that the real way to get the franchise QB is to pick one, and stick with them for a long while until they develop. Which is what Ive been trying to tell people about Quinn, but everyone is so damn impatient, they want the Superstar "NOW" because there spoiled with the Matt Ryans and Joe Flaccos of the world. I dont know about you people, but I'd take a Drew Brees or an Eli Manning over either of those guys.

    Give Quinn time, and lots of it, and he will be our superstar, dont shut him out after 1 bad season, give hime a few years, if we get rid of him, he will end up just like Brees (who was given to New Orleans from San Diego). Im telling you!

    @playgroundlegend said:

    So Brees goes into the category of "developed superstar/legend" along with Eli. Yet my fellow dumb ass Browns fans cannot figure out that the real way to get the franchise QB is to pick one, and stick with them for a long while until they develop. Which is what Ive been trying to tell people about Quinn, but everyone is so damn impatient, they want the Superstar "NOW" because there spoiled with the Matt Ryans and Joe Flaccos of the world. I dont know about you people, but I'd take a Drew Brees or an Eli Manning over either of those guys.

    Give Quinn time, and lots of it, and he will be our superstar, dont shut him out after 1 bad season, give hime a few years, if we get rid of him, he will end up just like Brees (who was given to New Orleans from San Diego). Im telling you!

    Agree, we need to give it some time. Nothing else makes sense.

  • Brees is finally getting some respect, I hated it when the Buckeyes had to play him and he would shredd our secondary.

  • QUOTE (BrownIndian @ Sep 21 2009, 09:27 AM)

    Drew Brees had a better arm or a more expansive playbook which ever way u want to put it. While NO knew that their offense was a problem, they knew that Brees was part of the solution. We sadly do not.

    If you don't have a fcuking clue what you're talking about, then just hold it in. It's no state secret that Brees doesn't exactly have a cannon attached to his right shoulder. His "weak arm" was actually the big knock on him (along with his height) until he started lighting up the league.

    --------------------

    "I like to quote myself." -Me

    The "big knock on his arm" was about how far could he throw not how accurate could he throw. And in NFL a better arm does not refer just to the arm strength but also the accuracy. Maybe after watching a lot of Browns game u forgot how important it is for QB's to have this thing called ACCURACY in their gamut but i did not.

  • QUOTE (BrownIndian @ Sep 21 2009, 09:27 AM)

    Drew Brees had a better arm or a more expansive playbook which ever way u want to put it. While NO knew that their offense was a problem, they knew that Brees was part of the solution. We sadly do not.

    If you don't have a fcuking clue what you're talking about, then just hold it in. It's no state secret that Brees doesn't exactly have a cannon attached to his right shoulder. His "weak arm" was actually the big knock on him (along with his height) until he started lighting up the league.

    --------------------

    "I like to quote myself." -Me

    The "big knock on his arm" was about how far could he throw not how accurate could he throw. And in NFL a better arm does not refer just to the arm strength but also the accuracy. Maybe after watching a lot of Browns game u forgot how important it is for QB's to have this thing called ACCURACY in their gamut but i did not.

    @brownindian said:

    QUOTE (BrownIndian @ Sep 21 2009, 09:27 AM)

    Drew Brees had a better arm or a more expansive playbook which ever way u want to put it. While NO knew that their offense was a problem, they knew that Brees was part of the solution. We sadly do not.

    If you don't have a fcuking clue what you're talking about, then just hold it in. It's no state secret that Brees doesn't exactly have a cannon attached to his right shoulder. His "weak arm" was actually the big knock on him (along with his height) until he started lighting up the league.

    --------------------

    "I like to quote myself." -Me

    The "big knock on his arm" was about how far could he throw not how accurate could he throw. And in NFL a better arm does not refer just to the arm strength but also the accuracy. Maybe after watching a lot of Browns game u forgot how important it is for QB's to have this thing called ACCURACY in their gamut but i did not.

    Wow. That was a nice stretch there....I hope you didn't pull anything.

    Generally speaking, when someone is talking about a QB in the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE(copyright Ron Jaworski) and they refer to his "arm" they're referring to the strength of his arm, i.e. how fast/far he can throw it.

    When one is talking about ACCURACY they refer to the QB's "accuracy," or talk about "how accurate" he is (funny how that works, isn't it.)

    Nice try at the save, though.