Skip to content

XXX - State of the WR Union

The Browns Board
28 9 1.3k
  • I try not to make too much out of what happens at OTAs. Having said that, the repetition of it all is much needed for the younger guys in particular. Anyway, here's an article I thought I'd share about 3 guys that impressed some people at the OTAs before it all goes live pads a month from now. Since one of them is a WR Tia wrote about - why not?

    https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/3-standouts-from-browns-minicamp-x5596

    3 standouts from Browns minicamp

    The Browns wrapped up three days of minicamp to finish out the offseason program

    Jun 14, 2024 at 03:33 PM
     

    23_WEB_HEADSHOT_KELSEYRUSSO

    Kelsey Russo

    Staff Writer

    The Browns officially wrapped up their offseason program as minicamp ended on Thursday. The next time they will all be at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus will be in July for the start of training camp.

    So, the Browns used the last three days to their advantage, with an energetic and competitive atmosphere on the practice fields each day. They saw the return of QB Deshaun Watson to throwing in 7-on-7 drills, and the defense brought a high level of spirit to the red zone drills.

    And while it was a productive few days for the Browns as an entire team, a few players stood out over the course of the three days of minicamp – which consisted of mostly low-tempo practices with the only true full-speed work in the 7-on-7 drills.

    Cedric Tillman

    Tillman stood out among the receiving corps as he took a number of reps throughout drills and caught passes from QB Deshaun Watson, QB Jameis Winston during offensive drills and 7-on-7 periods. He caught an intermediate pass during 7-on-7 from Watson and another in a red zone drill with CB Martin Emerson Jr. closely defending him in the end zone.

    Wide receivers coach Chad O'Shea was impressed by Tillman throughout camp. O'Shea said Tillman was constantly in the building working out and didn't miss a day of preparation during OTAs and heading into minicamp.

    Tillman finished his rookie season with 21 receptions for 224 receiving yards, as well as one carry for eight yards. With the work Tillman has put in, O'Shea sees that improvement in year two.

    "He has taken every rep and used that as an opportunity to become better," O'Shea said. "Can't say enough about how well he's done on the field for us as far as his work ethic and making plays. I think he's more confident in year two, which you would hope is the case with a young player. But Cedric, I just spoke to him and spoke to the group about how impressed we've been with him and how much he's improved, and to see his development has been really great as a coach to see."

    Martin Emerson Jr.

    Emerson had some standout moments over the course of minicamp that showcased his ability to defend and break up passes. On the final day of minicamp, Emerson broke up a pass intended for TE David Njoku during a 7-on-7 red zone drill. He also tightly defended a reception by Tillman in the end zone.

    Emerson is entering his third season with the Browns after a successful sophomore season where he led the team with four interceptions for 24 yards and tied for the team lead with 14 passes defended. He also ended the 2023 season with 59 tackles and one tackle for loss.

    Cornerbacks coach Brandon Lynch highlighted Emerson's consistency over the course of camp, especially in the 7-on-7 drills.

    "I know that we talk a lot about versatility, but really consistency and being available," Lynch said. "He's an extremely tough young guy who's accountable. He's resilient to the details, and he shows it on display."

    Mike Hall Jr.

    The rookie defensive tackle fit in well with the defensive line during minicamp. He appeared strong in all the drills as he showcased his speed, athleticism and his ability to rush the passer.

    Defensive line coach Jacques Cesaire saw up close what Hall could bring to the defensive line and was impressed with Hall throughout OTAs and into minicamp.

    "Mike's been great," Cesaire said. "He's been really serious and just all about ball. He's explosive. He knows how to rush already. We're tweaking some things right now with him, but he's physical, he's fast. I love the way he's cornering right now, and he's just scratching the surface of what he can do for us in this defense."

  • A AP1

    Great analysis and input. In a similar vein to Dutch's thoughts on the pendulum swinging from Strong to Mildly Disappointing, I think this group has the most pressure and, probably, the most to prove. 

    Amari Cooper is coming off the best back to back years in his career. Can he maintain his production? He also wants paid, my guess is that will land in the $23M-$25M/year range. I believe they will lock him up. I'm not ready for the Browns to need to find another WR1, especially given that LT1 has some uncertainty. 

    Jerry Jeudy's contract is also one based upon expectation that he will continue averaging 15 yards a catch.

    I'm also ready for Cedric Tillman and David Bell to show the league why they were drafted.

    Screenshot_20240619_203539_Chrome.jpg

    @ap1 said:

    Great analysis and input. In a similar vein to Dutch's thoughts on the pendulum swinging from Strong to Mildly Disappointing, I think this group has the most pressure and, probably, the most to prove. 

    Amari Cooper is coming off the best back to back years in his career. Can he maintain his production? He also wants paid, my guess is that will land in the $23M-$25M/year range. I believe they will lock him up. I'm not ready for the Browns to need to find another WR1, especially given that LT1 has some uncertainty. 

    Jerry Jeudy's contract is also one based upon expectation that he will continue averaging 15 yards a catch.

    I'm also ready for Cedric Tillman and David Bell to show the league why they were drafted.

    Screenshot_20240619_203539_Chrome.jpg

    Thanks AP1!  In a game that's all about the matchups today, the Browns WR Corps would like a JV roster without Cooper going up against the teams in the AFC North.  His dynamic commanding the most attention - helps our other Receivers and even our Pro Bowl TE with their matchups.  I'm confident they'll sign him when they need to.  Cooper isn't a guy that blows off his conditioning.  Dawand Jones, on the other hand, showed up so out of shape last year - and he later went on even if it's just coincidentally.

  • I’ll play a little devil’s advocate with Amari Cooper. With the Browns going full on Oprah with extensions the last few years and doing interesting accounting things to kick cans down roads to make it work within the cap, l don’t think they had any intention of paying Coop any real money outside of the 5 year deal he signed with Dallas (which we picked up the tab for the final 3 years of it). 

    He’s a fantastic receiver, but this is also his age 30 season, and l don’t know where $20 mil fits in the highest paid receiver list these days, but l’m pretty sure it’s a respectable amount. 

    I’m not sure l’d be inclined to extend him. I think their thought process was for Jeudy to eventually be the number 1 dude and this is the transition year for that. 

  • Browns training camp: UFL WR Matt Landers may just be this year's Austin Watkins

     
    USATSI_23536438.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
    August 2, 2024 10:53 am ET
     
    The Cleveland Browns saw a preseason standout performance from wide receiver Austin Watkins a year ago, and now former UFL wideout Matt Landers is making a case to be this year’s candidate to watch during the first week of training camp.

    That 4.37 40-yard dash speed that Landers, a former Georgia Bulldog, Toledo Rocket, and Arkansas Razorback, put on the track at the combine during his draft cycle is showing up early. Landers has been the primary deep threat for the backup quarterbacks, routinely taking the top off of the defense. The 6-foot-4 wideout finished his collegiate career in 2022 with a 900-yard season and eight touchdowns for the Razorbacks.

    ----   I'm teaching my 8 & 10 yr old grandsons to be 6'4 and run really fast.  I'll let ya know how teaching size & speed works out.  In the meantime, Go Landers!

  • I would love to get Aiyuk, that would be HUGE. He's a legit top 15ish WR. I didn't think we had enough cap room to afford him, but it seems like we have a chance.

    Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot
    ICYMI: #Browns and #Patriots have worked out the framework of trade compensation with the #49ers for WR Brandon Aiyuk, @MaioccoNBCS reports. The ball is apparently in Aiyuk's court if he wants to accept the extension offer from one of the teams: cleveland.com/browns/2024/08…
  • I would love to get Aiyuk, that would be HUGE. He's a legit top 15ish WR. I didn't think we had enough cap room to afford him, but it seems like we have a chance.

    Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot
    ICYMI: #Browns and #Patriots have worked out the framework of trade compensation with the #49ers for WR Brandon Aiyuk, @MaioccoNBCS reports. The ball is apparently in Aiyuk's court if he wants to accept the extension offer from one of the teams: cleveland.com/browns/2024/08…

    @berniesuperbowl2 said:

    I didn't think we had enough cap room to afford him, but it seems like we have a chance.

    They sure do want to be able to throw the ball don't they......not that I'm complaining because I think that's how you have to play todays' game. 

    Who would we throw in from the receiving corps?  I'm assuming a draft pick is a given.

  • @berniesuperbowl2 said:

    I didn't think we had enough cap room to afford him, but it seems like we have a chance.

    They sure do want to be able to throw the ball don't they......not that I'm complaining because I think that's how you have to play todays' game. 

    Who would we throw in from the receiving corps?  I'm assuming a draft pick is a given.

    @orion said:

    They sure do want to be able to throw the ball don't they......not that I'm complaining because I think that's how you have to play todays' game. 

    Who would we throw in from the receiving corps?  I'm assuming a draft pick is a given.

    It better not be Cooper we just gave him more money too, the guy is a total pro and doesn't have the diva WR personality. We just traded for Jeudy and gave him guaranteed money. SF already has Kittle, so not Njoku. Maybe Moore or Tillman. A second/third rounder plus Moore/Tillman? I'd do it. 

    A receiving corps of Cooper, Aiyuk, Jeudy, Njoku would be deadly. Then imagine a healthy Nick Chubb at some point.

  • @orion said:

    They sure do want to be able to throw the ball don't they......not that I'm complaining because I think that's how you have to play todays' game. 

    Who would we throw in from the receiving corps?  I'm assuming a draft pick is a given.

    It better not be Cooper we just gave him more money too, the guy is a total pro and doesn't have the diva WR personality. We just traded for Jeudy and gave him guaranteed money. SF already has Kittle, so not Njoku. Maybe Moore or Tillman. A second/third rounder plus Moore/Tillman? I'd do it. 

    A receiving corps of Cooper, Aiyuk, Jeudy, Njoku would be deadly. Then imagine a healthy Nick Chubb at some point.

    @berniesuperbowl2 said:

    It better not be Cooper we just gave him more money too, the guy is a total pro and doesn't have the diva WR personality. We just traded for Jeudy and gave him guaranteed money. SF already has Kittle, so not Njoku. Maybe Moore or Tillman. A second/third rounder plus Moore/Tillman? I'd do it. 

    A receiving corps of Cooper, Aiyuk, Jeudy, Njoku would be deadly. Then imagine a healthy Nick Chubb at some point.

    I love me some Amari Cooper.

    But Aiyuk would help long-term. Right or wrong, the Browns aren't giving Cooper a big contract.