WR position
-
I still say Jamari Thrash is going to turn the corner. Just you wait and see.
I still say Jamari Thrash is going to turn the corner. Just you wait and see.
If he hasn't gotten it by now... It's doubtful he ever will..
-
Sidiq by some accounts runs an advanced route tree. 6’4” 240 that runs a 4.39. 43.5 vertical that is an inch higher than the best WR and for context most are in the 30s.
You play a team that likes to play man coverage how many teams are going to want to put someone on an island against this man? He would be utilized differently here he’s not Fannin or Jeudy.
Sidiq by some accounts runs an advanced route tree. 6’4” 240 that runs a 4.39. 43.5 vertical that is an inch higher than the best WR and for context most are in the 30s.
You play a team that likes to play man coverage how many teams are going to want to put someone on an island against this man? He would be utilized differently here he’s not Fannin or Jeudy.
I will quote here but answer some questions from others as well.
If we plan on using him outside, so be it. Those are Megatron numbers. I just don't like the thought of drafting an in-line TE, at least early in the draft. It seems somewhat redundant, especially when you consider we just signed a FA TE who supposedly has a good rep as a blocker.
As for Simpson, the number of starts is a concern. I wouldn't expect to see him play out of the gate. If Shedufus balls out, great! We would then have a QB in wait, or one we should be able to get some value back on somewhere down the road. I know that doesn't sound ideal, and it isn't. My only thought is when you are a team who hasn't had a QB for the last 25 years you better keep taking one until you get one. I don't have the feeling that Sanders is a guy we can ride 2-3 years before we make a final decision on him.
That may not be fair to him, but it is what it is.
-
Sidiq by some accounts runs an advanced route tree. 6’4” 240 that runs a 4.39. 43.5 vertical that is an inch higher than the best WR and for context most are in the 30s.
You play a team that likes to play man coverage how many teams are going to want to put someone on an island against this man? He would be utilized differently here he’s not Fannin or Jeudy.
I will quote here but answer some questions from others as well.
If we plan on using him outside, so be it. Those are Megatron numbers. I just don't like the thought of drafting an in-line TE, at least early in the draft. It seems somewhat redundant, especially when you consider we just signed a FA TE who supposedly has a good rep as a blocker.
As for Simpson, the number of starts is a concern. I wouldn't expect to see him play out of the gate. If Shedufus balls out, great! We would then have a QB in wait, or one we should be able to get some value back on somewhere down the road. I know that doesn't sound ideal, and it isn't. My only thought is when you are a team who hasn't had a QB for the last 25 years you better keep taking one until you get one. I don't have the feeling that Sanders is a guy we can ride 2-3 years before we make a final decision on him.
That may not be fair to him, but it is what it is.
I will quote here but answer some questions from others as well.
If we plan on using him outside, so be it. Those are Megatron numbers. I just don't like the thought of drafting an in-line TE, at least early in the draft. It seems somewhat redundant, especially when you consider we just signed a FA TE who supposedly has a good rep as a blocker.
As for Simpson, the number of starts is a concern. I wouldn't expect to see him play out of the gate. If Shedufus balls out, great! We would then have a QB in wait, or one we should be able to get some value back on somewhere down the road. I know that doesn't sound ideal, and it isn't. My only thought is when you are a team who hasn't had a QB for the last 25 years you better keep taking one until you get one. I don't have the feeling that Sanders is a guy we can ride 2-3 years before we make a final decision on him.
That may not be fair to him, but it is what it is.
Understood; but keep a sense of humor for the rest, Unfortunately, the Browns braintrust already drafted a QB about this height (below) in the 3rd round to stand tall in the pocket 2 rounds before trading for Sanders - to assure us why history has a tendency to repeat itself. Yeah, don't just draft 1 rookie QB swimming against the current of consensus of approval - go get a 2nd one 31 other teams are clearly avoiding to remind all those same teams you are the ONE that was going to prove them all wrong about Watson. That's a consistency we've been taught not to trust. So now that nobody AFTER Mendoza looks like a franchise QB in this draft - Cleveland of all franchises can be rewarded for square pegging a round hole in the upcoming draft. I never thought I'd say this but Drew Allar mid-late could be the type of QB they could develop the right way in lieu of hurrying 1 more guy that isn't ready
As for the TE thing, we know Fannin isn't here to throw any blocks and that's okay since he's here to get open and catch the ball in a place where the WR position offered very little help with that in 2025. The reason I've been showing highlights of Steve Heiden (not a 1st round draft pick) was because his presence on the field didn't tip a tendency that he can ONLY block. Even the Rats (Monken's last team) Pro Bowl TE (Andrews as a throw-back dual purpose TE) so when Likely played in a double TE set - there was no tipping off a tendency. So here's the most recent football our new FA TE (Stoll) has played and his 17 game season in 2025 was his best (below). So, yeah we don't have to draft the same kind of guy at all - especially since we have RBs that can chip on the edge on their way into a short route working better than ever. Hard to argue with how successful that all looked last year with the warm and fuzzy pass pro on our edges. History shows us an excellent dual purpose TE like Mark Andrews wasn't drafted until round 3. He can set an edge if/when required which is far different than a tenth of a second chip block by a RB (being recontexted into our discussion as the role of the 2nd TE situationally appearing in a formation). Even TEs going into a route LOVE to block down and drive the edge guy some as the perfect push-off opportunity into his uncontested route the other way (ie; Travis Kelce)
-
Who's word?
Tongue in cheek, bubs. Think about it.
Sidiq by some accounts runs an advanced route tree. 6’4” 240 that runs a 4.39. 43.5 vertical that is an inch higher than the best WR and for context most are in the 30s.
You play a team that likes to play man coverage how many teams are going to want to put someone on an island against this man? He would be utilized differently here he’s not Fannin or Jeudy.
The argument here is that Sidiq, and his deployment, would be more reminiscent of Kellen Winslow when he was in CLE.
... I don't hate that.
-
Who's word?
Tongue in cheek, bubs. Think about it.
Sidiq by some accounts runs an advanced route tree. 6’4” 240 that runs a 4.39. 43.5 vertical that is an inch higher than the best WR and for context most are in the 30s.
You play a team that likes to play man coverage how many teams are going to want to put someone on an island against this man? He would be utilized differently here he’s not Fannin or Jeudy.
The argument here is that Sidiq, and his deployment, would be more reminiscent of Kellen Winslow when he was in CLE.
... I don't hate that.
Tongue in cheek, bubs. Think about it.
The argument here is that Sidiq, and his deployment, would be more reminiscent of Kellen Winslow when he was in CLE.
... I don't hate that.
I hear ya.
In the flow of discussion re Sidiq, I got there too after SdB80 nudged me with a reminder of Sidiq's 4.39 speed. As for Sidiq's blocking, the reports I've read vary from one to the next as did my very limited observation of those skills in the Oregon games I saw.
One scouting report said "handles blocking responsibilities with ease and has a great strength profile. Able to move guys as a run blocker." - Lindy's Draft Guide
Another has a little bit of both but leans more toward your point about KWII in CLE : "He's willing to get his hands dirty in the run game, too, using his physicality to hold his own as a blocker." Ironically the next sentence begins the next paragraph about weakness with: "Sadiq could use some improvements to his technique if he wants to be effective as an in-line blocker in the run game, especially with a frame that could already pose some challenges in the trenches against NFL edge defenders" - Athlon Sports Draft Preview
-
Tongue in cheek, bubs. Think about it.
The argument here is that Sidiq, and his deployment, would be more reminiscent of Kellen Winslow when he was in CLE.
... I don't hate that.
I hear ya.
In the flow of discussion re Sidiq, I got there too after SdB80 nudged me with a reminder of Sidiq's 4.39 speed. As for Sidiq's blocking, the reports I've read vary from one to the next as did my very limited observation of those skills in the Oregon games I saw.
One scouting report said "handles blocking responsibilities with ease and has a great strength profile. Able to move guys as a run blocker." - Lindy's Draft Guide
Another has a little bit of both but leans more toward your point about KWII in CLE : "He's willing to get his hands dirty in the run game, too, using his physicality to hold his own as a blocker." Ironically the next sentence begins the next paragraph about weakness with: "Sadiq could use some improvements to his technique if he wants to be effective as an in-line blocker in the run game, especially with a frame that could already pose some challenges in the trenches against NFL edge defenders" - Athlon Sports Draft Preview
I hear ya.
In the flow of discussion re Sidiq, I got there too after SdB80 nudged me with a reminder of Sidiq's 4.39 speed. As for Sidiq's blocking, the reports I've read vary from one to the next as did my very limited observation of those skills in the Oregon games I saw.
One scouting report said "handles blocking responsibilities with ease and has a great strength profile. Able to move guys as a run blocker." - Lindy's Draft Guide
Another has a little bit of both but leans more toward your point about KWII in CLE : "He's willing to get his hands dirty in the run game, too, using his physicality to hold his own as a blocker." Ironically the next sentence begins the next paragraph about weakness with: "Sadiq could use some improvements to his technique if he wants to be effective as an in-line blocker in the run game, especially with a frame that could already pose some challenges in the trenches against NFL edge defenders" - Athlon Sports Draft Preview
I’m not drafting him as an inline blocker but I can see with his size and speed where he can successful on the perimeter blocking smaller slower guys that he has leverage and length on.
On 3rd down and two minute offense it would be nice to have a unicorn. I think his measurables and ability may lend him to be that kind of guy that consistently wins and sometimes dominates his matchup.We could use a “what the hell do we do against that guy” during a Monday scouting session.
-
I hear ya.
In the flow of discussion re Sidiq, I got there too after SdB80 nudged me with a reminder of Sidiq's 4.39 speed. As for Sidiq's blocking, the reports I've read vary from one to the next as did my very limited observation of those skills in the Oregon games I saw.
One scouting report said "handles blocking responsibilities with ease and has a great strength profile. Able to move guys as a run blocker." - Lindy's Draft Guide
Another has a little bit of both but leans more toward your point about KWII in CLE : "He's willing to get his hands dirty in the run game, too, using his physicality to hold his own as a blocker." Ironically the next sentence begins the next paragraph about weakness with: "Sadiq could use some improvements to his technique if he wants to be effective as an in-line blocker in the run game, especially with a frame that could already pose some challenges in the trenches against NFL edge defenders" - Athlon Sports Draft Preview
I’m not drafting him as an inline blocker but I can see with his size and speed where he can successful on the perimeter blocking smaller slower guys that he has leverage and length on.
On 3rd down and two minute offense it would be nice to have a unicorn. I think his measurables and ability may lend him to be that kind of guy that consistently wins and sometimes dominates his matchup.We could use a “what the hell do we do against that guy” during a Monday scouting session.
I’m not drafting him as an inline blocker but I can see with his size and speed where he can successful on the perimeter blocking smaller slower guys that he has leverage and length on.
On 3rd down and two minute offense it would be nice to have a unicorn. I think his measurables and ability may lend him to be that kind of guy that consistently wins and sometimes dominates his matchup.We could use a “what the hell do we do against that guy” during a Monday scouting session.
True. The reality is - we're not just spending this off-season on attempting to improve the OTackles only. The same efforts will be/are happening with the C & OGs inside the Tackles and the WRs & TEs outside the OTackles. This team didn't only win 3 of 17 games in 2024 and 5 of 17 games in 2025 because they're good on offense.
It's not supposed to be a strong QB draft after Mendoza; but why do I get the feeling someone like the 6'0" Trinidad Chambliss is causing underwear changes in the brain trust all day long? I'm not opposed to a QB between round 4 and 7 if they feel they need to keep rolling the dice on the position haunting them.
-
So drafting 5th-6th round QBs is the answer?
I say no thanks.
-
-
-
So drafting 5th-6th round QBs is the answer?
I say no thanks.
I think it all depends upon how much you like the guy compared to any guys you would draft instead. And if you have room for a project. For us, we're still looking for a starter among the 3 guys we have. We've got no use for a draft pick project QB right now.
Watson being around clouds things. If you want to bring in someone to be the starter they're going to have to compete with Watson. Supposedly Watson used to be good. Maybe Monken's scheme suits him really well and he outshines everyone. (I think that Watson will look like the best QB option to Monken by the time Preseason rolls around)
We have a unique QB room, inherited by a new coaching regime. IMO, we should let the new HC straighten out that QB room by evaluating and declaring a batting order. It's an everybody's got a 'clean slate' opportunity. No incumbents. As for this draft, perhaps you want to hedge your bet by trying to acquire assets to help you get into position for a new QB in the '27 draft, should that turn out to be necessary. Much like we did at last year's draft. And spend this year's picks to get more weapons for the QB position. We have 9 picks, I think. Enough for WR's, Olinemen, and defense.
-
So drafting 5th-6th round QBs is the answer?
I say no thanks.
So pretending a franchise QB will be on any of the Browns draft slots on day 1 or day 2 continues to work for you?
That went so well for you last year that the Browns decided they better draft an adult sized QB in the 5th round.
Purposely misquoting me won't work any better for you. Here's what I typed: I'm not opposed to a QB between round 4 and 7 if they feel they need to keep rolling the dice on the position haunting them.
-
So drafting 5th-6th round QBs is the answer?
I say no thanks.
So pretending a franchise QB will be on any of the Browns draft slots on day 1 or day 2 continues to work for you?
That went so well for you last year that the Browns decided they better draft an adult sized QB in the 5th round.
Purposely misquoting me won't work any better for you. Here's what I typed: I'm not opposed to a QB between round 4 and 7 if they feel they need to keep rolling the dice on the position haunting them.
So pretending a franchise QB will be on any of the Browns draft slots on day 1 or day 2 continues to work for you?
That went so well for you last year that the Browns decided they better draft an adult sized QB in the 5th round.
Purposely misquoting me won't work any better for you. Here's what I typed: I'm not opposed to a QB between round 4 and 7 if they feel they need to keep rolling the dice on the position haunting them.
So I picked two rounds that fall inside the parameters you set. A little picky, don't you think?
-
So pretending a franchise QB will be on any of the Browns draft slots on day 1 or day 2 continues to work for you?
That went so well for you last year that the Browns decided they better draft an adult sized QB in the 5th round.
Purposely misquoting me won't work any better for you. Here's what I typed: I'm not opposed to a QB between round 4 and 7 if they feel they need to keep rolling the dice on the position haunting them.
So I picked two rounds that fall inside the parameters you set. A little picky, don't you think?
So I picked two rounds that fall inside the parameters you set. A little picky, don't you think?
I've never been to a court room that asked "do you promise to tell 50% of the truth and only 50% of the truth so help you God?" Have you? Why do we suppose that is? Now why do you suppose I specified rounds 4-7 in a draft where we don't have a legitimate shot at Mendoza? We both know the drop-off to the extent, 1 draft guide (Athlon) has only 3 guys: Mendoza, Simpson and Chambliss projected before round 4. Lindy's only has these 5 QBs going before round 4: Mendoza, Simpson, Green, Beck and Klubnik. WHIPTY DO! These 2 Guides aren't the tell-all - but they sure show what's on the shelves for shoppers in a day and age of buyer beware.
As much as I like your ambition to resolve the need to improve the QB position - the Browns used 2 picks for that position last year. I could be wrong here; but it sure seems like most of our fans in here think the current lesser of 2 perceived evils at QB is the guy drafted in round 5. That being the case, we wasted a good chance to improve an OL position/depth in upper round 3.
Drafting lottery type of odds for where this team is at in lieu of what continues to be lost choosing lottery odds over picks at positions of need and/or BPA with far more favorable odds landing players at positions that can HELP this team win - are reasons this team remained short on help at OL. OL requires a sum of 5 guys from Tackle to Tackle (and that's if nobody gets injured) - consistently neglecting that need put us where we are at this off-season until... I think most of us are very relieved to see the FO finally slammed the brakes on the steady neglect to bring in veteran help (that isn't too old, worn and torn, useless like Corney Lucas or Cam Robinson). How do we accurately evaluate any QB with no time to throw without any WRs capable of getting open immediately? We can't...
-
-
The best use of a Day three pick has been turning one of those picks into Amare Cooper, Wyatt Teller and Tytus Howard.
Copilot says 4% -5% of players selected in round 5 become multi year starters.
If I’m keeping the pick I’m setting my expectations it is either special teams contributor or it is an opportunity to bolster a need position. Every year that seems to be QB.
-
The best use of a Day three pick has been turning one of those picks into Amare Cooper, Wyatt Teller and Tytus Howard.
Copilot says 4% -5% of players selected in round 5 become multi year starters.
If I’m keeping the pick I’m setting my expectations it is either special teams contributor or it is an opportunity to bolster a need position. Every year that seems to be QB.
The best use of a Day three pick has been turning one of those picks into Amare Cooper, Wyatt Teller and Tytus Howard. Copilot says 4% -5% of players selected in round 5 become multi year starters.
Preach it brother. And because you drafted him, you keep him on the team 2 full years even though he sucks. If you can get somebody who can play and help your team for a 5th rounder, you're ahead of the game. Let's say we wanted to use our 2 5th rounders to move up as high as we could. Picks 146 & 149 could get us to pick 115 on a draft value chart. Middle of round 4. - Are you better off having 2 cracks at a decent player in the 5th? Or 1 crack at it in the 4th? Best option, trade for a veteran when you can.
-
So drafting 5th-6th round QBs is the answer?
I say no thanks.
I think it all depends upon how much you like the guy compared to any guys you would draft instead. And if you have room for a project. For us, we're still looking for a starter among the 3 guys we have. We've got no use for a draft pick project QB right now.
Watson being around clouds things. If you want to bring in someone to be the starter they're going to have to compete with Watson. Supposedly Watson used to be good. Maybe Monken's scheme suits him really well and he outshines everyone. (I think that Watson will look like the best QB option to Monken by the time Preseason rolls around)
We have a unique QB room, inherited by a new coaching regime. IMO, we should let the new HC straighten out that QB room by evaluating and declaring a batting order. It's an everybody's got a 'clean slate' opportunity. No incumbents. As for this draft, perhaps you want to hedge your bet by trying to acquire assets to help you get into position for a new QB in the '27 draft, should that turn out to be necessary. Much like we did at last year's draft. And spend this year's picks to get more weapons for the QB position. We have 9 picks, I think. Enough for WR's, Olinemen, and defense.
I think it all depends upon how much you like the guy compared to any guys you would draft instead. And if you have room for a project. For us, we're still looking for a starter among the 3 guys we have. We've got no use for a draft pick project QB right now.
Watson being around clouds things. If you want to bring in someone to be the starter they're going to have to compete with Watson. Supposedly Watson used to be good. Maybe Monken's scheme suits him really well and he outshines everyone. (I think that Watson will look like the best QB option to Monken by the time Preseason rolls around)
We have a unique QB room, inherited by a new coaching regime. IMO, we should let the new HC straighten out that QB room by evaluating and declaring a batting order. It's an everybody's got a 'clean slate' opportunity. No incumbents. As for this draft, perhaps you want to hedge your bet by trying to acquire assets to help you get into position for a new QB in the '27 draft, should that turn out to be necessary. Much like we did at last year's draft. And spend this year's picks to get more weapons for the QB position. We have 9 picks, I think. Enough for WR's, Olinemen, and defense.
Well said - especially the part in bold above! Some years the group of QB prospects are better than others. When Ty Simpson is the #2 prospect in every NFL Draft magazine I purchased - this year's QB class doesn't seem any better than last year's except for Mendoza at #1 overall. That said, a Drew Allar - PSU in round 4 might be worth rolling the dice on - or a Cole Payton - North Dakota State in round 5 - or a Sawyer Robertson - Baylor in round 6 - or a Luke Altmyer - Illinois or Haynes King - Ga Tech in round 7. If we're a drafting step-stool QB as early as round 3 in 2025; this blow hard is very comfortable hoping the Browns defer/confine their QB choices anywhere between rounds 4 & 7 in 2026.
After the season we just witnessed - it makes NO sense to draft a wide eyed rookie QB with expectations of starting THIS year unless you get a QB like Mendoza that transcended a perennial door mat in college football to a National Champion. The Raiders could fleece all 3 1st round draft picks the Jets have this year plus both of the Jets 1st round picks next year as well as some of their multiple 2nd round picks. The supply for the demand this year doesn't seem like it warrants "you better draft a QB high if you don't have one." FWIW, I love the team building equivalent of make-up sex for previously neglecting OLine needs (requiring 5 staters) I'm seeing from Berry this off-season; but he's also well aware it's time to draft a Tackle or 2 that can consistently win on the edges. In fact, it's long overdue from someone that has worked for Howie Roseman in Philly. Those OTackles there have been very reliable since the day they were drafted.
-
The best use of a Day three pick has been turning one of those picks into Amare Cooper, Wyatt Teller and Tytus Howard. Copilot says 4% -5% of players selected in round 5 become multi year starters.
Preach it brother. And because you drafted him, you keep him on the team 2 full years even though he sucks. If you can get somebody who can play and help your team for a 5th rounder, you're ahead of the game. Let's say we wanted to use our 2 5th rounders to move up as high as we could. Picks 146 & 149 could get us to pick 115 on a draft value chart. Middle of round 4. - Are you better off having 2 cracks at a decent player in the 5th? Or 1 crack at it in the 4th? Best option, trade for a veteran when you can.
Preach it brother. And because you drafted him, you keep him on the team 2 full years even though he sucks. If you can get somebody who can play and help your team for a 5th rounder, you're ahead of the game. Let's say we wanted to use our 2 5th rounders to move up as high as we could. Picks 146 & 149 could get us to pick 115 on a draft value chart. Middle of round 4. - Are you better off having 2 cracks at a decent player in the 5th? Or 1 crack at it in the 4th? Best option, trade for a veteran when you can.
I don't know where it gets you on the draft chart, but I agree you are almost always better off trading later picks for a player, to move up, or trade for future picks. The 5th round seems to be the last round the GM's feel you can find a player little better than FA players you can sign, so they do hold some value. Usually you can still find guards and centers who might work out. Maybe some backers.
To me that is when you start looking to small school guys and players with one skill that stands out that gives you some hope they can be decent special team players. At that point you don't stand much chance to build the top of your roster in the draft, you are building the bottom of the roster.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login