Skip to content

Per a league source

The Browns Board
29 21 2.6k
  • We actually brought in more revenue in 2008 then the Jets Giants and Cowboys http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/f...franchises.aspx imagine if we actually won games

  • We actually brought in more revenue in 2008 then the Jets Giants and Cowboys http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/f...franchises.aspx imagine if we actually won games

    nmills said:

    We actually brought in more revenue in 2008 then the Jets Giants and Cowboys http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/f...franchises.aspx imagine if we actually won games

    Check those glasses wild thing. Cowboys - $280 mil, Browns $235 mil. Point taken though.

  • nmills said:

    We actually brought in more revenue in 2008 then the Jets Giants and Cowboys http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/f...franchises.aspx imagine if we actually won games

    Check those glasses wild thing. Cowboys - $280 mil, Browns $235 mil. Point taken though.

    @bonedawg said:

    Check those glasses wild thing. Cowboys - $280 mil, Browns $235 mil. Point taken though.

    sorry missed that, point is were competing or beating the so called big market teams and we are terrible. So if it was an uncapped year we would still be competitive in free agency. The Steelers won the superbowl last year and had the same revenue as us. Imagine if we were a playoff team every year, we might be up there with Washington.

  • I never offered an opinion concerning whether it would benefit or hurt us i'm just saying discussing salary cap is most likely irrelevant.

    Fact of the matter is they are going to get the removal of the salary cap and yes it will be like baseball. You can't complain about them wanting more money really. If they don't get it who gets it? The owner. Its not like they are taking money out of your pocket. Granted it could potentially raise ticket prices but they wont sky rocket just like baseball hasn't.

    @mitch said:

    I never offered an opinion concerning whether it would benefit or hurt us i'm just saying discussing salary cap is most likely irrelevant.

    and i heard this same speal before the last labor agreement, which if you remember, was agreed upon at the 11th hour.

    yup...groundhog day.

  • I don't really care, we have a billionare....

    We would be one of the "yankees"...especially since your going to make boatloads of cash here.

  • I don't really care, we have a billionare....

    We would be one of the "yankees"...especially since your going to make boatloads of cash here.

    @irisheyez said:

    I don't really care, we have a billionare....

    We would be one of the "yankees"...especially since your going to make boatloads of cash here.

    A billionaire who cares about soccer.....

  • Yeah, while I wouldn't worry all that much about any particular team loading up on free agents in 2010, I wouldn't suggest that the UFA delay will deaden the market either. What it seems the players aren't seeing is it's the owners that want the uncapped year. An uncapped year will give them the opportunity to dump a ton of heavy contracts with no salary cap penalty. In the salary cap era, the pro-rated bonuses made it costly to release players. You're going to see a ton of veteran players of varying abilities hit the market.

    I think you're really going to see a shuffle of veteran players... and some without jobs altogether. I think the flood of mid-level players is really going to drive the market down. The NFLPA is going to put itself in a very bad spot.

    They're going to lose a ton of money due in contracts, and lose the free negotiation of rookie contracts all in one calendar year. So basically the owners will be able to cut all the veterans and not pay the rookies all in the same fiscal year. Gotta love a transition of power.

    -jj

  • Yeah, while I wouldn't worry all that much about any particular team loading up on free agents in 2010, I wouldn't suggest that the UFA delay will deaden the market either. What it seems the players aren't seeing is it's the owners that want the uncapped year. An uncapped year will give them the opportunity to dump a ton of heavy contracts with no salary cap penalty. In the salary cap era, the pro-rated bonuses made it costly to release players. You're going to see a ton of veteran players of varying abilities hit the market.

    I think you're really going to see a shuffle of veteran players... and some without jobs altogether. I think the flood of mid-level players is really going to drive the market down. The NFLPA is going to put itself in a very bad spot.

    They're going to lose a ton of money due in contracts, and lose the free negotiation of rookie contracts all in one calendar year. So basically the owners will be able to cut all the veterans and not pay the rookies all in the same fiscal year. Gotta love a transition of power.

    -jj

    @jason-j said:

    Yeah, while I wouldn't worry all that much about any particular team loading up on free agents in 2010, I wouldn't suggest that the UFA delay will deaden the market either. What it seems the players aren't seeing is it's the owners that want the uncapped year. An uncapped year will give them the opportunity to dump a ton of heavy contracts with no salary cap penalty. In the salary cap era, the pro-rated bonuses made it costly to release players. You're going to see a ton of veteran players of varying abilities hit the market.

    I think you're really going to see a shuffle of veteran players... and some without jobs altogether. I think the flood of mid-level players is really going to drive the market down. The NFLPA is going to put itself in a very bad spot.

    They're going to lose a ton of money due in contracts, and lose the free negotiation of rookie contracts all in one calendar year. So basically the owners will be able to cut all the veterans and not pay the rookies all in the same fiscal year. Gotta love a transition of power.

    -jj

    Hmm... I thought I posted a reply. I must've hit a wrong button.

    I haven't been paying attention, so please bring me up to speed on this "uncapped year" question. Who's idea was it? Who decides if it's going to happen? When will we know?

  • @jason-j said:

    Yeah, while I wouldn't worry all that much about any particular team loading up on free agents in 2010, I wouldn't suggest that the UFA delay will deaden the market either. What it seems the players aren't seeing is it's the owners that want the uncapped year. An uncapped year will give them the opportunity to dump a ton of heavy contracts with no salary cap penalty. In the salary cap era, the pro-rated bonuses made it costly to release players. You're going to see a ton of veteran players of varying abilities hit the market.

    I think you're really going to see a shuffle of veteran players... and some without jobs altogether. I think the flood of mid-level players is really going to drive the market down. The NFLPA is going to put itself in a very bad spot.

    They're going to lose a ton of money due in contracts, and lose the free negotiation of rookie contracts all in one calendar year. So basically the owners will be able to cut all the veterans and not pay the rookies all in the same fiscal year. Gotta love a transition of power.

    -jj

    Hmm... I thought I posted a reply. I must've hit a wrong button.

    I haven't been paying attention, so please bring me up to speed on this "uncapped year" question. Who's idea was it? Who decides if it's going to happen? When will we know?

    @kshutchins said:

    Hmm... I thought I posted a reply. I must've hit a wrong button.

    I haven't been paying attention, so please bring me up to speed on this "uncapped year" question. Who's idea was it? Who decides if it's going to happen? When will we know?

    It was the "poison pill" in the 2006 labor negotiations. The owners opted out of the last two years of the labor deal, invoking this. Next year is uncapped.

    The fight seems to be about a salary cap that rise with gross revenue (as opposed to profit) and the escalation of rookie contracts. Teams that are building new stadiums (Dallas, NY) argue that gross revenue is not the proper measure. Players say the owners aren't disclosing their entire profits with things like stadium naming rights and they will not agree to a salary cap ever again if it goes away.

    Labor talks have not been productive. Chances are next year will be uncapped. Then we are looking at a possible lockout by the owners in 2011.

    So count on next year being uncapped and a showdown in 2011.