Skip to content

All the Talk About 11 Draft Picks

The Browns Board
28 17 3.1k
  • I'm feeling greedy. I wonder if there's a way to add even more pics without doing something stupid.

  • 11 picks, no matter how high or low will allow for some flexibility in choice in this next draft.

    There is no doubt that one draft does not a team make. You have to string together at least two, maybe three, good ones. I think Mangini added two starters and depth with his first draft.

    Now, likely to have three picks in the top 100 (maybe more depending on BE in NY), it's vital that we add starters with all those picks. Some may be instant starters, while others may develop.

    But later in the draft is where the Browns can get creative and take some chances due to the glut of picks they have. If we can get two or three contributors out of that, then you have the beginnings of a return of an NFL team to Cleveland.

    Again, it's always darkest before the dawn. No question this is the darkest it's been, but I'm not ready to pull the plug on someone who has come in and established discipline and accountability, all the while taking out the trash.

    Here's hoping that the next GM is a tremendous evaluator of talent and has some leverage to assist in making personnel decisions.

    @nw-ohio-brownie said:

    11 picks, no matter how high or low will allow for some flexibility in choice in this next draft.

    There is no doubt that one draft does not a team make. You have to string together at least two, maybe three, good ones. I think Mangini added two starters and depth with his first draft.

    Now, likely to have three picks in the top 100 (maybe more depending on BE in NY), it's vital that we add starters with all those picks. Some may be instant starters, while others may develop.

    But later in the draft is where the Browns can get creative and take some chances due to the glut of picks they have. If we can get two or three contributors out of that, then you have the beginnings of a return of an NFL team to Cleveland.

    Again, it's always darkest before the dawn. No question this is the darkest it's been, but I'm not ready to pull the plug on someone who has come in and established discipline and accountability, all the while taking out the trash.

    Here's hoping that the next GM is a tremendous evaluator of talent and has some leverage to assist in making personnel decisions.

    11 picks gives a ton of maneuverabilty in the early rounds. They could parlay that into two firsts easily. I would point to the Cowboys with that one bevy of picks they had for Herschel. That did make a dynasty.

  • I'm feeling greedy. I wonder if there's a way to add even more pics without doing something stupid.

    @professor_g said:

    I'm feeling greedy. I wonder if there's a way to add even more pics without doing something stupid.

    Probably not...at least high enough to have any decent percentage of hitting, unless we do stupid things and dangle a Joe Thomas as an example.

    At some point you have to consider a position fixed, and at some point you have to figure the player you have is on odds, better than the player you might get.

    Players are always worth more than the pick once you start talking 4th/5th round down because the bust factor really increases.

    Sure, you might get a great player, but odds are you get a guy who is out of the league in a few years.

  • We could package Quinn/Anderson/Bowens/Barton/St. Clair/Womack/Rubin/McDonald/Pool for a 6th round 2013 pick.

    That wouldn't be stupid, would it?

  • We could package Quinn/Anderson/Bowens/Barton/St. Clair/Womack/Rubin/McDonald/Pool for a 6th round 2013 pick.

    That wouldn't be stupid, would it?

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    We could package Quinn/Anderson/Bowens/Barton/St. Clair/Womack/Rubin/McDonald/Pool for a 6th round 2013 pick.

    That wouldn't be stupid, would it?

    What's wrong with Rubin? (Serious question.)

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    We could package Quinn/Anderson/Bowens/Barton/St. Clair/Womack/Rubin/McDonald/Pool for a 6th round 2013 pick.

    That wouldn't be stupid, would it?

    What's wrong with Rubin? (Serious question.)

    @professor_g said:

    What's wrong with Rubin? (Serious question.)

    Nothing.

  • Sonny you have a good point. and I am not going to dispute. However, that's where the scouting dept. earns it's pay and gets someone.. maybe 2 out of those 7 picks between round 4 and 7.. It can be done. Will it be done? time will tell. everyone talks about using those picks to move up.. It's easier said than done..

  • @professor_g said:

    What's wrong with Rubin? (Serious question.)

    Nothing.

    @ballpeen said:

    Nothing.

    I can't spell his first name and it bothers me. Other than that, nothing.