Skip to content

Holmgren Declines Seattle offer, wasn't sure if anyone saw this

The Browns Board
24 18 2.2k
  • I know others think it's a slam dunk that Holmgren is keeping Mangini. Hey - if Lerner told him that's the price of a $10 million a year salary, then maybe.

    Aside from that does anyone think Holmgren's the type of guy to put his reputation on the line coming here allow the potential for Lerner to claim credit if Mangini winds up having a good season or two?

    Not me. Holmgren (according to Mike Lombardi at the National Football Post) is going to clean house - completely - including Mangini. That way if and when things get turned around Holmgren can claim 100% credit. I don't fault him for this... any GM worth having is going to want to bring in his own people so the team - and the credit - are fully "his".

  • @kpolen4 said:

    Updated: December 19, 2009, 10:27 PM ET

    Holmgren declines Seattle's job offerComment Email Print Share ESPN.com news services

    The Seattle Seahawks offered a job to former coach Mike Holmgren in a "senior leadership position," but Holmgren declined the offer, the team announced Saturday.

    NFC West blog

    ESPN.com's Mike Sando writes about all things NFC West in his division blog.

    • Blog network: NFL Nation

    Holmgren, who has also interviewed with the Cleveland Browns for their director of football operations position, met with members of the Seahawks staff, including CEO Tod Leiweke.

    "I sincerely thank Paul Allen and Tod for all their support over the years," Holmgren said in a statement. "I thank them for reaching out to me and we conclude these discussions as friends."

    The 61-year-old Holmgren won a Super Bowl with the Packers and led the Seahawks to their only Super Bowl appearance as a head coach.

    Leiweke said the team met with Holmgren after becoming aware of the time he spent with the Browns and the "associated time pressures" from that situation.

    "We hold Mike in high regard and wish the Holmgren family the very best with their new horizons," Leiweke said.

    It is presumed the Browns offered Holmgren the job during his visit and it appears he is weighing his options, which could include several other teams in the days and weeks ahead.

    Jim Donovan, the Browns' play-by-play announcer, reported Wednesday night that Cleveland's offer to Holmgren is for between $8 million and $10 million per season.

    It sounds to me like he just wanted them to ask, so he could turn them down. I think he has already decided to come to Cleveland. I hope it works out, but personally, I don't like it. I get the feeling that he wants to be the HC, the GM, and the President. That way he has nobody to answer to, other than Randy Lerner. Of course, this also means it's time to rebuild.....restructure.....replace all the players with "his players"......same old crap. Mangini will end up somewhere and take another team to the Superbowl in a few years. Merry Christmas!

    @lodilobo said:

    It sounds to me like he just wanted them to ask, so he could turn them down. I think he has already decided to come to Cleveland. I hope it works out, but personally, I don't like it. I get the feeling that he wants to be the HC, the GM, and the President. That way he has nobody to answer to, other than Randy Lerner. Of course, this also means it's time to rebuild.....restructure.....replace all the players with "his players"......same old crap. Mangini will end up somewhere and take another team to the Superbowl in a few years. Merry Christmas!

    My thoughts exactly. I think Lerner is following the footprint that Parcel has established. But, I don't feel that Holmgren is in Parcel's league. I do believe that Mangini will have a team playing in the superbowl sooner or later.

  • @kpolen4 said:

    Updated: December 19, 2009, 10:27 PM ET

    Holmgren declines Seattle's job offerComment Email Print Share ESPN.com news services

    The Seattle Seahawks offered a job to former coach Mike Holmgren in a "senior leadership position," but Holmgren declined the offer, the team announced Saturday.

    NFC West blog

    ESPN.com's Mike Sando writes about all things NFC West in his division blog.

    • Blog network: NFL Nation

    Holmgren, who has also interviewed with the Cleveland Browns for their director of football operations position, met with members of the Seahawks staff, including CEO Tod Leiweke.

    "I sincerely thank Paul Allen and Tod for all their support over the years," Holmgren said in a statement. "I thank them for reaching out to me and we conclude these discussions as friends."

    The 61-year-old Holmgren won a Super Bowl with the Packers and led the Seahawks to their only Super Bowl appearance as a head coach.

    Leiweke said the team met with Holmgren after becoming aware of the time he spent with the Browns and the "associated time pressures" from that situation.

    "We hold Mike in high regard and wish the Holmgren family the very best with their new horizons," Leiweke said.

    It is presumed the Browns offered Holmgren the job during his visit and it appears he is weighing his options, which could include several other teams in the days and weeks ahead.

    Jim Donovan, the Browns' play-by-play announcer, reported Wednesday night that Cleveland's offer to Holmgren is for between $8 million and $10 million per season.

    It sounds to me like he just wanted them to ask, so he could turn them down. I think he has already decided to come to Cleveland. I hope it works out, but personally, I don't like it. I get the feeling that he wants to be the HC, the GM, and the President. That way he has nobody to answer to, other than Randy Lerner. Of course, this also means it's time to rebuild.....restructure.....replace all the players with "his players"......same old crap. Mangini will end up somewhere and take another team to the Superbowl in a few years. Merry Christmas!

    @lodilobo said:

    It sounds to me like he just wanted them to ask, so he could turn them down. I think he has already decided to come to Cleveland. I hope it works out, but personally, I don't like it. I get the feeling that he wants to be the HC, the GM, and the President. That way he has nobody to answer to, other than Randy Lerner. Of course, this also means it's time to rebuild.....restructure.....replace all the players with "his players"......same old crap. Mangini will end up somewhere and take another team to the Superbowl in a few years. Merry Christmas!

    The Seattle brass never wanted him - but they do recognize that there are quite a few fans in Seattle who watned Holmgren back... hence Seattle made an "offer" that wasn't about to be accepted (they probably low balled him)... Holmgren gets to save face by making it seem like they wanted him, the Seahawks appease a portion of the fan base that wanted an offer made to Holmgren and everyone's happy (except maybe Mangini).

    Now unless Holmgren wants to be perceived as caving in to the pressure and $10 million a season bribery from Lerner to keep Mangini, he'll be able to get a running start now that Mangini has sent a lot of the deadwood/problem children on their way. Holmgren doesn't have a perfect record in the draft and free agency, but very few do. At least the Browns won't have to worry about seeing the next Vernon Gholston being drafted.

    I agree with those who think Holmgren as coach, GM, team president etc is too much.

  • I know others think it's a slam dunk that Holmgren is keeping Mangini. Hey - if Lerner told him that's the price of a $10 million a year salary, then maybe.

    Aside from that does anyone think Holmgren's the type of guy to put his reputation on the line coming here allow the potential for Lerner to claim credit if Mangini winds up having a good season or two?

    Not me. Holmgren (according to Mike Lombardi at the National Football Post) is going to clean house - completely - including Mangini. That way if and when things get turned around Holmgren can claim 100% credit. I don't fault him for this... any GM worth having is going to want to bring in his own people so the team - and the credit - are fully "his".

    @joesixpat said:

    I know others think it's a slam dunk that Holmgren is keeping Mangini. Hey - if Lerner told him that's the price of a $10 million a year salary, then maybe.

    Aside from that does anyone think Holmgren's the type of guy to put his reputation on the line coming here allow the potential for Lerner to claim credit if Mangini winds up having a good season or two?

    Not me. Holmgren (according to Mike Lombardi at the National Football Post) is going to clean house - completely - including Mangini. That way if and when things get turned around Holmgren can claim 100% credit. I don't fault him for this... any GM worth having is going to want to bring in his own people so the team - and the credit - are fully "his".

    I really hope this isn't the case. It's these types of things that hold this franchise back right now in my opinion. The constant changing of coaches and schemes.

    You can point at our record and the first half of the season all you want but to me this team is improving. It doesn't show in the W column right now but in my eyes they are getting better. I'd really hate to see the things we've built on this year get erased because one guy wants to have all the credit.